• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Which TR4a to sell?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
OK guys - time to face the music and down size the fleet a bit. In other words I found and early 911 I want to buy and am out of space, but that is besides the point. I consider myself ridiculously lucky to have to make this choice and feel a bit goofy about asking but trust y'all will take this in context.

So here is the deal. I have two TR4as. A '67 IRS and a '66 solid axle. Both have driver quality paint, '67 is mostly original paint down to it's floors even but hood went missing (I have a spare). '66 has one faded respray but will clean up to a nice patina. '67 front fender bottoms need attention, '66 needs a dent pulled out of the drivers door.

Both have newly rebuilt engine - both have working A-type ODs.

Both have TR6 rollbars but '67 has new poly bushing and adjustable camber & height rear suspension.

Both have new Toyota calipers and rear cylinders.

Both have original trim inside and need attention to wood on dash (heat).

Both are CA cars with documented SoCal ownership.

I'm into each one for +/- same money.

This will be "bracketed" by a TR6 and TR3a in the fleet. I'll have an Alfa Spider and MGC in the mix as well if that makes any difference. Plus a Bugeye.

So with all of that - which one to keep and which one to sell?

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
The <span style="color: #FF0000">Red </span>one.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Tough call. But I'm a biased solid axle guy - all things equal I'd probably keep that one. From a market perspective, I'm not sure the solid axle gets any premium and might even be a deduct. So that would be another reason to sell off the IRS one.

And I'm pretty darn sure you aren't going to get a concensus opinion on this one Tom!

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If I were closer, I'd make that decision easy for you. I'd be standing there with the money for the 66.

rlich8

Jedi Trainee
Get rid of the IRS one. I wish I had a '66 solid axle I could think about selling and then realize it's the one to keep! :smile:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I, too, like the feel and simplicity of the solid axle.

Or you could list the pair and have the buyer pick the one they like.

All other things being equal, I do think the IRS may command a slight premium among buyers.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I'm definitely in the minority here, but my personal preference would be the IRS. I preferred the ride of my TR4A IRS over my friend's TR4 when we were in college.

Plus I'm partial to Royal Blue TR4A's. :smile:

Scott

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks guys - kinda of a hard choice.

I'm leaning towards keeping the IRS car, simply because it does ride a bit better. I have my TR6 to use when hammering - or the 911. I think the "surviving" 4a will be more touring than fast road work. Who knows.

I need to drive them on a real road back to back this weekend and see.

Ken - I'll get her down to you are a good price if you really are interested.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Simple - you need to sell me your Berlina,& for a good price.

- Doug

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
The sad thing is that all you will have to show for this sacrifice will be a rusted chunk of German trash(IMHO).......NEVER buy one of these without checking the condition of the torsion-tube that supports the rear of the car.Prone to rust and catastrophic to fix.....
MD(mad dog)

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Doug - hope your summer is going well. I've had two unsolicited offers on the Berlina already which has been surprising. I'm planning on keeping her as a family classic but will let you know. I think people are looking for substitutes for GTV and earlier Alfa sedans since most of those are in the high teens or 20k+ range now.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom, What's up with the name change back and loc change.
Is this part of the other problem. E mail me if you don't want to discuss it here

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi MD - agree that a rusty one is very bad news. TRs are a snap by comparison - but this 911 is ok. She is a SoCal car - even the front pan under the gas tank is OK. She is rough cosmetically but has a rebuilt G15 gearbox and a later 3.2 FI engine. As a pre- SMOG car that engine swap is OK in CA. So the lightness of the early car with the reliability and power of the later SCs. Not for purists - but a better roadcar than a stock '74 911.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
Keep the '67 and sell me the 66'. Oh, never mind, I see you are in NYC. Thank the Lord I live in California and you are so far away.

I had a '64 for many years. Crashed it, then later got my TR6. For what it is worth, that TR4 was in my opinion the better handling and more stable car.

But if you are old and into just touring, then the comfort of the cushy ride from the IRS is the way to go. However, if you keep the 4A with the IRS, you will have two cars that have virtually the same handling characteristics, and that to me is like makeing a choice between which twin sister to date.

Variety is the spice of life...

Just my two cents.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
TR6oldtimer said:
... Oh, never mind, I see you are in NYC. Thank the Lord I live in California and you are so far away.

Ray, you have been around long enough to know better.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Here are some pics. And yes, 1985 called and wants the Whale Tail back so that will be coming off the car very quickly.

She's wicked (East Coast thing) dirty here and there is a better than 80% chance the paint can be buffed out to an acceptable driver level. That white hazing you see if on top of the paint, not under it. Anyway - rough and a rolling project to be sure but all the key things are OK.

IMG00852-20110707-1023-1.jpg

IMG00854-20110707-1024.jpg

IMG00850-20110707-1023.jpg

front-2.jpg

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TR6oldtimer said:
Oh, never mind, I see you are in NYC. Thank the Lord I live in California and you are so far away.

The car is in SoCal actually and would easily make the trip up Route 101 / 1 to your neck of the woods. You could do it to coincide with the Monterey Car Week events. What a drive that would be this time of year.

So you are not "safe" Ray! Ha!

Good point on the TR6 vs TR4a IRS. The TR6 is really dialed in for fast road work - lowered and stiffer springs etc where the 4A has stock springs but poly bushings and trick rear suspension caber set up. They do drive differently - the 4A is more comfortable whereas the TR6 is just glued to the road (at a price of some comfort etc).

<span style="font-weight: bold">Guys - how different will a solid axle 4a vs 3a drive if everything is stock?</span>

TR4A_IRS

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
tdskip said:
Here are some pics. And yes, 1985 called and wants the Whale Tail back so that will be coming off the car very quickly.

I say keep the tail. It might be very 1985, but the tail does serve a purpose and really fits the classic lines of a Porsche very well. If it was a '68-'74 car, I would say ditch the tail, but it looks like an early '80s SC done up to look like a Carrera.