• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 "WANTED": TR3 or TR6: Nice Driver Cond:

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks;

I posted a "Want Ad" for a Nice Driver Cond TR3/A in the Classifieds back in May:

Here we are; Aug. 1st: There were nearly 100 people that looked at the ad but No replies? That part I don`t understand?

So; I thought perhaps I would get more visibility here?

I`m not looking for a "Trailer Queen" but she should be Mech sound & may need cosmetics:

Thanx, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

Email to: toysrus@ptd.net

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

What happened to the TR3 Russ?

You realize you're not supposed to be without a LBC ever, but especially during the summer months! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Good luck with your search.

Matt

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Matt;

Well; I was high bidder on a `61 TR3A on ebay: I got outbid by a person in France in the Last 7 seconds by $100.00:

Ironically; The Sellers listing read that he would only sell to the US: So, After a ton of emails etc etc: The Seller has the option to retract the Overseas buyers Winning Bid via ebay: He does not have to sell to this buyer!!

As of this writing; The Seller contacted the Buyer & he said that he "Wired" the $$$ already: I suggested to the Seller to "Wire" his $$$ back!

Well; I guess the Seller does`nt want to have any Negative Reprecussions: So, He`s going to let the sale go thru: If it should not pan out; He`ll contact Me!!

In the meantime; I`m out My TR4A one day & already Miss It! I need to replenish My LBC addiction ASAP with either a TR3/A; TR6 (Only Chrome Bumper) & or MGA:

That`s the Story Folks;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
I certainly can't claim to be an expert here but I do know that I looked for 2 years before I found mine. This was a hard category to find; all the TR3s I came across were either expensive total restorations or rusted hulks. Average "drivers" were rare.

Country flag
Ok, ok.....HERE'S what you do! Until such time as another LBC finds it's home in your garage, go out and get 17 cases of Earl Grey tea, go to a pet store and get an Old Engish Sheepdog or a Corgi (MY choice! LoL) and wrap yourself in a Union Jack.....this SHOULD keep the withdrawl symptoms to a minimum. Or get you placed in solitary confinement. In either case you won't be worrying about not having an LBC for a while! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
toysrrus said:
...either a TR3/A; TR6 (Only Chrome Bumper) & or MGA...

Have you driven an MGA? Nothing against them except most people looking for something like a TR3A or TR6 would note a marked difference in the power of an MGA.

TFR

Jedi Trainee
By the way what a good price for a driver car?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Many years ago, a friend of mine and I drove from Indiana to Florida, he in his MGA (with freshly rebuilt 1600) and I in my TR3A (also fresh with 87mm liners). Neither of us took rag tops. Rolling down Hwy 1 in FL, a big thunderstorm started chasing us. We both kicked the throttle, but only one of us got wet.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TFR said:
By the way what a good price for a driver car?
When my 59 TR3A was totaled in 2005, my insurance company found 4 comparable "drivers" that had sold recently. The average selling price was $8800.

Of course, the climate here is gentle on old cars; undoubtedly "drivers" are much rarer (and hence more valuable) in places where they put salt on the roads.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Randall;

"Your Right" about the cost of a Decent Driver TR3: Avg somewhere from $7K - $9K: Of course All is relative:

Surprisingly, I have rec`d a couple of emails relative to this post today: Thats the Good News:

The Bad News that the Two emails I did rec. were basically for "Basket Cases"! I know its not going to be an easy task finding one & Who knows; Maybe the clown in France won`t come thru???

But; You know what; Its fun shopping!!!!

See Ya All Later;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Russ,

You should buy the green TR3A from my minister friend. Fly in...drive home. Plus the RHD will make you a better man!

Actually I should buy it and resell it for a profit!

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There YankeeTR;

Whats his email Address, Phone # etc etc?

I`ll be certain to contact him ASAP:

Would You happen to have some Pics & an Idea how much he`s looking for?

Please forward whatever info to: toysrus@ptd.net

Thanx, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
IMAG0229.jpg

IMAG0227.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

IMAG0225.jpg

IMAG0228.jpg

pa297pass

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

I certainly don't know you personally Russ, but I think you'd look pretty good in that. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

RHD would be pretty cool as well!

Matt

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Rick & pa297pass;

I do believe Your Right there pa297: This TR would certainly make me Look a heck of a lot better!

"RH Drive"? I`d probably kill myself in it before I got the hang of it but what a way to go!!!

Question: Should I put TR3/4 disc wheels back on her; Will they just bolt right on? Meaning is the Bolt Circle the same in a TR3 as in a TR6 without me looking in a Book? I don`t think so?

Sure does look Nice; Don`t She!

Thanx Rick; Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
toysrrus said:
"RH Drive"? I`d probably kill myself in it before I got the hang of it but what a way to go!!!

Russ,
RHD is easy enough when driving in England. You will have no trouble with shifting with the left hand. The only problem I had when driving in the UK was I could never find the inside rear view mirror... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol.gif

Mkutz

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I've been restoring a TR3a for the last three years and have noted something about the TR3a market. There seem to be three classes of cars out there that define the "market". First, you have your restorable rusted and greasy messes that average about $4-5,000, may or may not run, but usually are mostly original. These are probably the most numerous in the the overall TR3 market. Secondly, you have "drivers" which are really nothing more that an original car that has been cleaned up, usually with a fresh paint respray, that look good at first glance but still represent a significant cost to rebuild i.e., replacing brake lines, rebuilding the wiper motor, rebuilding the motor, replacing U-Joints, you get the picture. Those cars seem to be fetching $12 to $17,000 You have to watch out for these cars, because oftentimes, alot needs to be done on these cars that is not immediately recognizable. And finally, you have the fully restored models that, with everything done, it being a clean and completely restored model, cost about $25-28,000.

When I first started my restoration I talked to someone who spoke of the "rule of 25" when it came to restoring a TR3. This rule relates to taking $25,000 subtracting the initial cost of the car and that will be the restoration bill. Hence a $5,000 car will cost 20k to restore. Well, I thought that to be ridiculous at the time, but guess what, it turned out to be very true. The point is, is to buy the best car you can up front, as you will be saving, if not money, plenty of time.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Mkutz said:
...There seem to be three classes of cars out there that define the "market"...

Except of course for the 'Pedro' class which is another thing altogether.

I bought my TR4 sight-unseen (except for about 100 photos and the history of the car) but would be very reluctant to do that with a TR3A just because almost all of them have been or will need to be restored... and restored means so many different thiings to different people.

OP
toysrrus

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Geo Hahn;

Your 100% correct: A restoration or a Daily Driver is what is in the Eyes of the Beholder & or What Your Intention is with a Car: Its What you want or expect to get out of it: That may be just the pleasure of "Tinkering" (Thats what I like) or simply being able to show the car (Buy a Trailer Queen)& Get Your Trophies: Some folks buy just for the Profit on a Re-Sale: "Whatever Turns You On"!!

Ex: My definition of a "Driver" is a Mech, Elec & Structurally sound car perhaps needing a Re-Paint, Chrome & Interior; some of these or all of the above work to be done:

Ex: My definition of a "Restored Car" is a Body-Off frame, Every Nut & Bolt changed & done to exacting Orig. Stds:

Ex: Then there are cars like "Tinsters" (Nothing Personal Dale): I feel that buying a car needing Outer & Inner Sills, Floor Boards etc can be a lot of fun but You`d better know what Your buying & What its going to cost; Dollar & Time Wise!! "Big $$$ & Lots of Time" as Tinster Knows!

I`ll find one! There are a few in the Wings & One just may be around the Corner:

Its alot of fun shopping;

Regards, Russ /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banana.gif