• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

USB

Todd78d

Country flag
Have any of you installed a USB outlet in your positive ground car?
can you provide instructions on how to do it?
Thanks

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Have one in my TF now, works fine. wired directly from the battery Post to the POS wire and Ground post to the negative wire, isolating everything from the car's chassis and body. Easy to do! Just be a little creative with where you put the wires. Actually, it's a 12-volt socket. Yes an inline fuse is warranted! PJ

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
We've added a cigarette lighter/power take off to our positive ground Austin-Healey 3000, and the same approach could be used for our BugEye: remove the grab handle on the passenger side and replace the piece of wood on the backing side of the instrument panel with a larger chunk of plywood. Then mount your USB/Power Take-Off/Cigarette Lighter onto the wood.
Wire it in as you choose to do so (and follow the earlier advice and ensure that you've included a fuse). And (to be traditional British), Bob's Your Uncle.
The wooden mounting eliminates concerns about positive/negative, and the fuse protects everything.
On our BJ7 Healey, we have a Garmin GPS unit held onto the heater box with rare earth magnets (bought ours from Lee Valley Tool, the Garmin is primarily to provide a GPS based speed.). But we can unplug it and use it to charge phones etc. Get yourself something that provides dual USB connectors. And Bob will Definitely be Your Uncle. Doug

OP
Todd78d

Todd78d

Country flag
We've added a cigarette lighter/power take off to our positive ground Austin-Healey 3000, and the same approach could be used for our BugEye: remove the grab handle on the passenger side and replace the piece of wood on the backing side of the instrument panel with a larger chunk of plywood. Then mount your USB/Power Take-Off/Cigarette Lighter onto the wood.
Wire it in as you choose to do so (and follow the earlier advice and ensure that you've included a fuse). And (to be traditional British), Bob's Your Uncle.
The wooden mounting eliminates concerns about positive/negative, and the fuse protects everything.
On our BJ7 Healey, we have a Garmin GPS unit held onto the heater box with rare earth magnets (bought ours from Lee Valley Tool, the Garmin is primarily to provide a GPS based speed.). But we can unplug it and use it to charge phones etc. Get yourself something that provides dual USB connectors. And Bob will Definitely be Your Uncle. Doug
Thanks for the idea.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I wanted to add a lighter outlet to my plus ground Sprite for a trickle charger. The original post prompted me to start looking and I found on Amazon a waterproof one (several actually) with a fully plastic case and spade connectors for both wires for $7. With that, any kind of mount will work. They also have similar USB outlets too. Sorry I'm slow in posting this.

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
for a trickle charger/battery maintainer, consider just getting one of the flat pin connectors that you install as part of your battery clamps. Doug

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
for a trickle charger/battery maintainer, consider just getting one of the flat pin connectors that you install as part of your battery clamps. Doug
Mine (Battery Minder I believe) came with a couple different set of leads. One had ring terminals that mounted to the battery cable clamps. As the leads can be removed from the battery maintainer, just left in place. The disconnected end has a rubber boot that fits over the connector.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You're both right, of course, on the dual leads on Battery Tenders and probably most. But for that, I have to raise the bonnet to hook up or have some leads accessible to connect to. I have done both on other cars but the socket is just simple and quick. Different strokes,...