• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

uhh ohh

walshja

Jedi Warrior
temperature hit 50 degrees in Connecticut yesterday, so I thought it a good time to take the car out for a ride.

well, as the ride progressed the clutch started to feel weird, not engaging until the peddle was fully depressed, then started having problems getting into 1st and reverse. then noticed fluid dripping from the car.

when I got home, just had time to check the fluid level and it was low, and something is leaking from somewhere.

before I go back down there, what should I be looking for? where could clutch fluid be leaking from?

Is this a big problem? I have never worked on anything related to the clutch.

this scares me !!

any thoughts on the minimal information provided?

joe

Sounds like a failing slave cylinder. easy to change, not so easy to bleed.
1275 engine?

it can be a little tight to get at but it is doable.

while your there it might not hurt to change the rubber line from the frame fitting to the slave cylinder.

Folks here can help guide you if needed

Mark

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
yes, a 1974, 1275 engine.

is the master cylinder the unit you fill with fluid? cause that looks easy enough to replace. will I see it leaking from there? should I be topping it up with fluid now to keep air from getting in? or is it too late for that?

thanks for responding so quick Mark

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Joe - don't panic - breathe.

1. Make sure the fluid isn't leaking anywhere on the body as (assuming it is DOT fluid) it will eat your paint.

2. See if you can figure out where the leak is coming from - yes, the Master Cylinder is on top (not the brake cylinder) and there will be a hose that attaches from it down to the slave cylinder which is attached to the transmission - you will likely need to get under the car. Check the level on the master Cylinder and it won't hurt to top it up.

3. Check all fittings for tightness - tube connections/ bleeding nipples.

4. If you can't see anything, get under the car while someone pushes in and holds the clutch.

5. If it is the slave cylinder (the next likely suspect) a rebuild is really easy and bleeding not at all hard - we'll talk you through that.

In the meantime, don't panic this is a relatively easy fix - and WAAAAY easier than replacing the clutch.

let us know
JP

Country flag
I'd hope for a slave cylinder issue (cheaper and easier to fix). Jack up the car and take the passenger front tire off. This will give you another view to look for leaks. You can also see the slave from the access port in the footwell and from under the car.

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
ok, I'm calmed down now !!!

gotta take a meeting at 11am, then will head to the garage to see where the fluid is coming from.

thanks for the support !!

so the master cylinder is in the engine bay, drivers side, and the slave cylinder is in the passenger wheel well?

the leak is dripping from the center of the car, but I don't know where it is originating from yet, I will get a better look later.

(I love this site)

Country flag
Could just be a leak at the rubber hose. If the leak appears to be in the center, then it sounds like the slave. The slave is not in the wheel well, but you can see the hose and fitting by peering through the triangular gusset.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Not sure the 1275 is the same as on my 1098 but you can rebuild the slave "in situ" I believe, that is, from under the car, without removing the slave from the gearbox, right? Disconnect and pull out the push rod, pull off the rubber boot, there's a c clip I believe, take out the piston and seal, replace seal, put back together and bleed it. Right? Probably don't even need to get a rebuild kit really, just need the right size seal from a parts store. 7/8" in your case I believe. Item 35 is the slave, 36 is the "kit" (which is a 50 cent seal and a rubber boot, your boot is probably good to go again, just a dust cover).
Moss

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Slave is attached to the transmission bell housing - follow the line down

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Upper bolt is a total PITA to get to. One trick is to trim off the ear / cut a slot on the top, for the slave mounting bolt. Get top bolt started and most of the way in. Slip ear of slave under the mounting bolt, insert bottomn bolt, tighten down. With Tranny in the car access to top bolt is almost impossible, tighten one flat at a time type thing. I reinstalled a new slave while engine/tranny were in the car but it was an all day job as I recall to get the top slavew bolt tightened Just no access to get in there easily.

walshja said:
you all are making this sound easy !!

I'm going to feel like an idiot when I struggle with this, aren't I ... lol

heading down now

Don't worry about it. slave cylinder leaks usually appear under the car. Master cylinder leaks generally leak down the pedal and show up as a wet carpet under your feet.

The mechanical stuff is easy. yea the upper bolt on the slave is a real pain and requires a lot of patience to get out and back in again.

This kinda of stuff is pretty common after a car has sat all winter, and in your case i see your car has low mileage and likely is all original.

m

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Bleeding it out is more a pain than replacing the seal. I would not try to take the slave off the car, just rebuild it from below. Jack the whole car up high, axle stands on the four corners and not only will you have good access to the bottom it raises the top up to a decent working level too, anyone else's back hurt from stooping over the engine bay? Ouch.

Luke_Healey

Jedi Trainee
One of those spring loaded bleeder valves in the clutch cylinder wouldn't be a bad idea either. it's the sort of job for a MityVac tool. Especially if you don't have a child or friend to push the clutch pedal down for you.

speed_bleeder2.gif

I've got skinny arms, and even I had to be patient to bleed the clutch with the help of another person.

However, once you have everything buttoned down, it shouldn't need regular service.

well fellas i hate to say it but according to this gents signature line, the car is a 74, never restored. A real big candidate for a bad rubber line as well, if your going to go to all the work if changing the slave, the rubber line "might as well" be done too, hate to have to see this gent do the job twice. I know, cuz i have.

mark

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm down with Mark. Why ask for a second op to do this job? Once every few years is plenty.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Also note (along with all the other good suggestions already offered):

There is a steel line that goes from the clutch master cylinder to the rubber flex line on the lower right side of the engine bay (that rubber flex line goes to the clutch slave cylinder). The steel line runs along the battery and may be exposed to corrosion (from the battery). I have seen two of these cars with pin-hole leaks in this steel line. They are pretty easy to change if needed. Look around the base of the battery and see if there is brake fluid nearby...that will be a clue that it the steel line.

If there is brake fluid dripping onto the pedals (inside the car) the clutch master cylinder may be at fault.
But more often, it's the slave cylinder.

OP
walshja

walshja

Jedi Warrior
well, FINALLY got down to the garage and looked at the car.

I jacked the car up, got underneath and couldn't find any leaks from the clutch hydraulic system (plenty of other leaks though )

I checked all the hoses that I could see and the slave cylinder, and neither appear to be leaking either, so I purchased the bleeder valve as Luke suggested and installed it, bled the clutch system, and everything seems OK. had to bleed the system a few times as when I was pumping the clutch I drained the master cylinder allowing air back into the system. Once I figured out I can get about 5 or 6 pumps before having to add more fluid into the master cylinder, I was pretty much done.

so I'm thinking I was simply low on clutch fluid and air got into the system. the slave cylinder did not appear original as it was a bit cleaner than everything else. I'll keep an eye on the fluid level, and hopefully I dodged a major repair !!

took her out for a test drive, about 25 degrees in Connecticut with the top down, windows up and heat was cranking !! she drove perfect !! I MISS DRIVING THIS CAR !!! can't wait for spring . . .

so thanks everyone for calming me down in my moment of panic !!!