• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Triumph Spitfire market

My father in law has a 1967 Triumph Spitfire MK3 that he is thinking about selling. It is in very good condition and was kept original. Everything is in working order. Does anyone have a very rough idea what the car is worth in todays market.
Thanks.

AltaKnight

Jedi Knight
Someone here will know the value I'm sure.
Just wondering if you're sure you're interested in this venture?
Buying any used vehicle from a friend or relative can be a hazardous venture for obvious reasons, more so when it's from the wife's side of the family!
Just a thought.

V

vagt6

William, you may wish to look at Spitfires for sale on EBay, today. Right now there are several examples in a wide range of condition. That will give you a very good idea of pricing.

If the car has no rust, has good paint and body, and needs no mechanical/chassis repairs it could fetch top price under the right circumstances. Top price for such a Spitfire could be up to $8,000 or more in a heated bidding scenario.

Searching carefully and with a bit of patience, I can find a Spitfire as described above for around $5,000, or less.

Good luck, let us know.

OP
W
Heres the situation, he has owned the car for some time now, and had it "restored" a while back. The people doing the restoration seem to do a decent job, but he was grossly over charged. The car isn't in perfect condition , but is over all very solid. Maybe I should take it to a show to see what the judges think. Anyways since he has so much money into the car, if he can't sell it for at least $7000 or so, he would rather give it to me than sell it to a stranger. My gut feeling was that it would be tough to get more than $5000 for it, simply because of the market, but I'm no expert. While I would love to own this car, I feel if he could get some good money for it I would rather see him sell it. Unfortunatly I don't have the money to buy it myself. Its not like he's a Jay Leno...

bluemiata90

Jedi Trainee
I just purchased a 65 Spitfire in need of some bodywork, but in running condition with a rebuilt engine and trans for less then $1000.I know your car is in much better condition then this one, but I think your correct in assuming that your father in law will not get $7000 for his car. Unfortunately, Spitfires are at the bottom end of the Triumphs line and don't usually bring in big dollars when sold. The good news is, You might become the new owner of a 67 Spitfire and they are fun to drive. Good luck

V

vagt6

William, if you can post several photos of the Spit, maybe some of us could give you a better idea of its market value.

Rust is the biggie. Has the car been sitting for while without being driven or started at all? If so, how long? Will it start? Only Spitfires in nearly perfect condtion will bring prices in the $7,000 range.

Is your Uncle willing to adopt a poor, Spitfire-less, 52 year old from VA? I happen to know one . . .

trsick

Freshman Member
I think you would be hard pressed to get near or over 5K for a spitfire, unless it is in extremly good condition. I just sold a very clean(Calif car) 79 spit for 3200.00. I might have gotten more, but it went to a good home. More than likely the car will fetch between 3500 & 4500.
Good Luck
Bob
www.capecodpowdercoating.com

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
It never hurts to get a show car to a show. You may get it sold there or possibly there will be an auction or cars for sale which would give your father-in-law a feel for pricing.

Good luck on getting a gift!

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
If only these naysayers would have said the same remarks about Jag E types,notoriouslys unreliable, and big Healeys, we could all own one.Would some one please explain to me the bug eye cult,a very basic car,and early square body spridgets? They seem to bring appx twice the money of early spits.Hands down the Spit was a better car,and arguably a prettier car.Somebody, please, the emperor has no clothes.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Would some one please explain to me the bug eye cult [...] Hands down the Spit was a better car,and arguably a prettier car.

[/ QUOTE ]

For me, at least (and I'm surely no expert) Bugeyes just grab me somehow. I can certainly agree that a Spit is probably a more practical car, faster, stock disc brakes, etc. But I guess that doesn't matter anymore, since I'm not looking for the "best" car, just the one I like more.

My personal definition of "best" has little to do with a car's hard attributes, and more to do with how passionate I am about it. I don't want to drive one every day, I've got a perfectly fine and bland Hyundai for that. For instance, a TR6 is arguably a better car for me--faster, safer, roomier, etc., but they do nothing for me at all. I'm a big guy who likes little cars. Go figure.

A Bugeye is such a simple car, with lines I just really like. A very honest car. Of course, I think much the same for Spitfires (and early MGBs and TR4s for that matter). Simple, honest, and beautiful (to me). That's my definition of "best." Others may disagree, and that's fine as well. There's a LBC for everyone.