• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post-War Other Triumph Herald where to look for rust?

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Until Andy chimes in, here is what I know.

Frame, outriggers holding the trunk, and the ones in front of the back wheels.

Floor pans, driver and passenger

In the trunk right after the spear tire well were the metal is bent up and then flat again.

Spear tire well

Rocker panel

The metal along the rear bumper between the trunk and bumper, outside

Front inside bumper near the ends

Front wheel well were it joins the front end

Those are a few of them that I see most often. Andy will give you the rest.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Tom's pretty much nailed it; just a few comments to add:
tomgt6 said:
Until Andy chimes in, here is what I know.

Frame, outriggers holding the trunk, and the ones in front of the back wheels.

<span style="color: #000099">Those outriggers named are often the first to go, notably the "ones in front of the back wheels"; they hold the radius rods for the rear suspension. Rust there makes for "interesting" handling!</span> :shocked:

Floor pans, driver and passenger

In the trunk right after the spear tire well were the metal is bent up and then flat again.

Spear tire well

<span style="color: #000099">All of the above aren't necessarily as critical from a structural standpoint, and they often occur from the inside out (years of damp carpeting, etc.). But they do add up to big problems once they get bad.</span>

Rocker panel

<span style="color: #000099">The part you see on the outside simply bolts on, so rust there isn't a big deal. However, the "sill" itself can also rot away and cause problems.</span>

The metal along the rear bumper between the trunk and bumper, outside

Front inside bumper near the ends

Front wheel well were it joins the front end

<span style="color: #000099">These areas again are mostly cosmetic. The front and rear valences bolt on and can be replaced. Behind the front valence, though, is a crosstube that is part of the chassis and supports the valence and the bonnet hinges. Patch panels are also available to repair rust on the bonnet itself.</span>
<span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-weight: bold">

With a Herald, once you find significant rust in any of the chassis outriggers, you need to look carefully at the main chassis rails. There are good quality replacements available for all the outriggers, but there are no patch panels available for the main rails, and some areas are very difficult to repair. Common areas are around the rear axle but also in the front, where the crosstube, its supports, and even the main rails where the front suspension mounts.

As to the body, if you find significant rot in body mounts, some of them are available, but you're pretty much on your own repairing lower A-post areas and some of the floor areas (some halfway-decent footwell repair panels can be found).</span></span>

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Many of the mechanical parts are shared with the spitfire. But for those parts that are not you will need to go to rimmerbros.co.uk or rarebits4classics.co.uk or one other that starts with a C but I can't remember at the moment. Things like rubber and body parts most likely will need to come from England. Outriggers will need to come from England. I had some made by a local black smith.

One of the sites does have a good cross reference of parts. Example is I believe the trunk seal that fits a stag also fits the herald if I remember correctly.

Andy has a good site with lots of links and information.

Is there a car your looking at. I would like to see pictures and would be happy to answer any questions you may have. But the real expert is Andy and he can tell you all kinds of things about Heralds from a few pictures and the engine and body serial numbers.

OP
K

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
I have a lead on one but wont get to look at it untill March. I'll go to Andy's site to see if there are any photos of a restoration. Thx Karl

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
tomgt6 said:
one other that starts with a C but I can't remember at the moment.

That would be Canley Classics formerly John Kipping Spares. There are others, but Canley was my favorite for Sports 6 parts. Some very knowledgeable people there, even though John retired. And unlike "the brothers", everything I got from them actually fit the car (except they accidentally shipped me Herald trim rings instead of the Vitesse rings I ordered).