• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge TR7-TR8 brake rotors

AHBN1

Country flag
Hello all,
This is likely a dumb question but, since the TR7 and TR8 are essencially the same car except for the engines can anyone explain the practical difference between the brake rotors for these cars? I would like to do some break work on my TR8 and see the cost difference between the rotors is significant. I don't mind paying if there is a difference between the two. Any comments would be welcome.
Thank you,
Dave

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Think the 8's are bigger
Not sure though
Todd, Randy,Darrell ????

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
TR8 rotors are slightly larger around and slightly thicker. The swept area of the different calipers and pads is significant. You can't swap one for the other unless you swap, calipers, pads, and rotors. The TR8 brakes do work much better than do the 7s because the increased swept area, and larger brake booster means you don't have to press on the brake pedal as hard to make the car stop. The larger rotors and to a lesser extent the larger calipers help with heat dissipation. This really only comes into play with repeated high speed stops. Don't believe all the hype about how bad the stock brakes are. Proper working stock brakes are more than adequate for the way most pansy TR8 owners drive. Put it on a race track with sticky r comp tires, and then you will be testing the limits of the stock brakes. For 99% of the driving a TR8 is going to see, the limiting factor is the tires ability to grip the road during heavy braking and not the brakes themselves. But if you really need to brag about having Willwood brakes, then go spend $800 on a kit that's not even legal for street use.

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
TR8 rotors are slightly larger around and slightly thicker. The swept area of the different calipers and pads is significant. You can't swap one for the other unless you swap, calipers, pads, and rotors. The TR8 brakes do work much better than do the 7s because the increased swept area, and larger brake booster means you don't have to press on the brake pedal as hard to make the car stop. The larger rotors and to a lesser extent the larger calipers help with heat dissipation. This really only comes into play with repeated high speed stops. Don't believe all the hype about how bad the stock brakes are. Proper working stock brakes are more than adequate for the way most pansy TR8 owners drive. Put it on a race track with sticky r comp tires, and then you will be testing the limits of the stock brakes. For 99% of the driving a TR8 is going to see, the limiting factor is the tires ability to grip the road during heavy braking and not the brakes themselves. But if you really need to brag about having Willwood brakes, then go spend $800 on a kit that's not even legal for street use.

...and on a serious note. The brakes on a TR8 are absolutely fine. I would argue that anyone who doesn't race the car and complains about them probably needs to spend some quality time with the rear wheel cylinders and getting the rear brakes to work again.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey! That's not nice. I considered upgrading to Willwood's....but being the pansy that I am, I passed. Perhaps I'll paint the calipers instead :smile:

Kind of goes against your creed ,don't it Randy?

OP
A

AHBN1

Country flag
Thank you for all the comments. Aside from the Pansy comment the information provided was about what I expected to read. I just wish the local law enforcement knew we were all TR8 Pansies and would stop pulling me over!! Off I go to shop for the proper rotors and pads.
Dave

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Who is this and what did you do to Randy???

sabot

Jedi Trainee
Randy, do you still have a/c? I got a bracket on the back of mine that I can't figure out how to hook to the header.
Tom

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I pulled that support rod at the beginning of the summer last year and ran all year without it. Zero issues.

Did the same with the EGR valve as well. Just plugged the the hole to see what would happen. Everything is fine.

So....on went the headers and out the door went my hopes for collecting another concourse trophy. Though I did save all the bits if I decide to reverse course ;) Must be the Eagle Scout in me.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
Willwood doesn't make any products specific to either the TR7 or TR8. They make universal calipers that can be bolted to the wedge spindles with adapters that you either have to make or buy from a vendor that sells a kit. Remember these kits are not legal for use on road cars and you open yourself up to all kinds of liability if you use them. Then you need to work out different rotors that are compatible with the calipers you choose. Many different ways to skin this cat depending on what your needs are. You can run anything from stock 1/2" think 9.6 inch rotors all the way up to 1.25" thick vented 13" rotors. Of course your wheels will need to be larger to fit those massive brakes under them. Then there is the issue of balancing the fronts out with whatever you have for rear brakes, and then you need to make sure you have a large enough master cylinder to push the extra fluid needed to actually move the pistons in those great big calipers. A lot to consider in designing a proper brake system, but not really all that difficult if you have a good understanding. Here is a link to just about the nicest home made braking system on a TR8. I came up with the theory and the car's owner and Willwood made it happen. Of course there was a good bit of machining involved, and it is specific to the car owners need. All in all I think it's the easiest to reproduce, cheapest, best option I've seen. Not commercially available, but the owner of the car is willing to share the parts list. Can be reproduced for $700 to $1000 depending on what rotors you opt for. Happy reading!!

https://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/LorenzHassenstein-TR8.htm

S

super7and8

tr8todd,

I would like to start with, I have been reading this forum for awhile but never posted. I have a tr8 with many upgrades that I have done throughout the years.

I can't say I agree with your statements about the stock tr8 brakes, nor would I agree that people are putting themselves in in danger from a liability standpoint with the Wilwood kit. I have a the wilwood brake kit from The Wedge Shop and have been using it for years. When I need new rotors I just give Woody a call and they arrive a few days later at my house. Not to mention Woody seems to be a wealth of knowledge on the cars and always takes his time to talk to me about the car, even when I only call for advice.

The Wedge Shop Wilwood Brake kit was:

- The easiest aftermarket kit I have ever installed
- Made of up high quality components, right down to the mount brackets that are neatly machined and engraved.
- The best upgrade I have made to my car, aside from the 4 barrel conversion supplied by The Wedge Shop

And to your comment about "off road" use products. Many of the aftermarket products out there fall into this category, which to me makes it a moot point and silly to bring up.

I also took at look at the brake system on Lorenz car (link you provided). While it looks fairly trick, not sure most of us would want to go through the extensive modification needed to put that setup together, especially when you can buy one that bolts right up using stock components without hassle. Also, not having power brakes is not something I am very fond of.

Thanks
J. Carlisle

Last edited:

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You'll find the "for off-road use only" or "for race use only" a cover for the manufacturer of all aftermarket parts to release their liability for street use of their product. Testimonials of their products speak for themselves and some of the sellers actually warrant the items personally for customer peace of mind. Some states have inspections of safety equipment for their vehicles and most pass except some states where they try to keep everything stock. I personally don't think they can demand they older vintage cars remain stock as parts are not as easily to come by. Good luck on your brake upgrades as WillWood is an excellent manufacturer of brakes with warranties.

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
I base my statement on the stock brakes being adequate from my own experience of years of racing a TR8 in the SCCA where stock brakes, except for pads are required. If they can repeatedly haul a 2430 pound race trim TR8 down from over 100MPH, they are certainly more than adequate for a street car. That being said, Wilwood makes great brake components. I have Wilwood brake and or clutch components on a couple of my TR8s, and also on my EP SCCA BMW 2002. If you have a street car that also sees some track time, then larger aftermarket brakes are a great idea. Now about the wedgeshop brake kit. If I was buying a complete kit from a reputable dealer, I would expect it to be DOT legal or whatever certification is necessary for it to legally be installed on my car. I would also like to know that in the event something went horribly wrong, there would at least be some kind liability policy or insurance policy behind the vendor and their products. But maybe that's just me.