• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 ZS Bypass kit

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
Can you service the Z Stromberg bypass valves without removing the carburetors from the manifold? By the way, I was impressed with the kit I got today because each bag includes no less than 5 gaskets, the diaphragm (with the brass valve in it) and 1 small rubber sleeve. I have to say Moss Motors' service could not have been better.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
If you have a small enough screw driver etc, yes, I believe you can. I've always done it as part of an overall rebuild however so I haven't tried it.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Do you have a picture of the kit and whats in it?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
You shouldn't have a problem. There are 3 screws holding the TBV housing to the carb. Get the housing off and all the parts with the exception of one gasket are internal to the 2 part housing.
You'll be better off making the adjustment, if needed, before you remount the housing, because making an adjustment on the rear carb with the TBV inplace takes some dexterity, mostly because of the throttle linkage being in the way.

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
I don't know if this will be a picture of the kit or if I will be banded!

Attachments

• 23240.jpg
    23240.jpg
    166.5 KB · Views: 312

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Be aware that not every kit has all the components you need. If memory serves there is one item that VB sells that Moss does not (or at least didn't at the time).

Should be here if you search.

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
I'm sure there are other opinions, but I ended up just making a solid gasket & blanking them off. Had to do it to get the idle down.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you want your photo to appear in-line, one way is to surround the URL with

Eg,
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>
ZS%20BYPASS%20KIT%20resized.jpg

</pre>[/QUOTE]
would appear as
ZS%20BYPASS%20KIT%20resized.jpg

This will let you put as many photos as you want in your post, and they can be any size (but the forum software will force them to display as 640x480 or less).

PS, the photo URL doesn't have to point to BCF. I frequently prefer to put them on Photobucket (which is free and will automatically resize for you). Photobucket will even supply the
for you. Just let your mouse cursor hover over the thumbnail on the PB page until the menu appears, then click in the field labeled "IMG Code".
GetIMGcode.jpg

Ctl-C to copy the IMG Code to your clipboard, then navigate to your BCF post (which for me is usually Ctl-Tab) and Ctl-V to paste the IMG code.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Or switch to advance editor and use the image tab and paste there.
Like this

Seal.jpg

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
tdskip said:
Be aware that not every kit has all the components you need. If memory serves there is one item that VB sells that Moss does not (or at least didn't at the time).

Should be here if you search.

The search would be for a needle in the hay stack. The only thing I see that is not included is the internal spring.

OP
V

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
DNK said:

In the picture I used the diaphragm and sandwich it with the two gaskets on the top roe. The original gasket (original to this rebuild that is) between the carburetor body and the valve is the one on the left of the bottom roe. I don't have a clue what the other two gaskets on the bottom roe are used for. Also, the tiny rubber gasket beside the diaphragm seems to have no place to go. Any help is appreciated.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I don't know the exact applications, but I do know that there were several minor variations of bypass valve (not necessarily all used on Triumphs), and they take different gaskets. So just use the gaskets that fit, and throw the others away.

Could the O-ring be for the mixture adjustment screw?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR3driver said:
Ctl-C to copy the IMG Code to your clipboard,
BTW, Photobucket has now updated their scripts so you can just click on the IMG code and it will be copied to the clipboard (so you don't need the Ctl-C). However, you must move the mouse away from the popup to use Ctl-Tab.

sundown

Jedi Hopeful
I am thinking about eliminating the function of the bypass valve by blocking it off or just turning the adjustment screw ccw until it stops. What are the pros and cons on doing this as far as engine performance?

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
If you disable the TBV, you will have to do without it's designed function. That seems pretty obvious.
If by 'performance' you mean power or lack there of..No, disabling it will have no effect one way or another.
What you may or may not notice is a series of 'pops' (small explosions) in the exhaust system when you downshift to engine brake or even sometimes if you suddenly let up on the gas when the rpms are relatively high.
Mine is disabled and I don't happen to have that side affect..so it's not a given that you'll even have the popping.