• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Supercharger sweet deal !

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
This was posted on the Team.Net list by a non-BCF member:

<span style="font-style: italic"> I've decided, after over a decade, to go back to a fully stock TR6.
That means the V.I.S. sc will come off and the carbs go back on. I don't care about the speed any more since I have another toy that fulfills that aspect of the hobby. Plus, having all the original "stuff" (including air con that is off due to the sc) from AMCO and Leyland I think it is time for a driving "show car". What I'd like to sell is a Vintage Induction Systems blower system from Peter Boucher.
It will be the full kit plus a specially built Joe Curto HD8 carb from a Jag. All the documentation and original pictures of the kit are here.
It is completely bolt on with normal Craftsman tools. It is very fast with the large pulley installed. It is SCARY fast with the small pulley installed and anything like street brakes. It is currently on my car and running and I don't want to remove it until I can pack it up and ship it off to someone who'd like to have a bit more speed. No, I haven't thought of a price yet but it will be well under the Moss Motors price. Any interest?</span>

If anyone is interested, please contact Joe Burlein at [supertr6 at earthlink dot net]
Better hurry, I'm surprised it isn't gone already!
(If I owned a TR6, it would be
grin.gif
)

PS, I have no financial interest in this transaction, just trying to help out.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Tempting!
Get supercharger :devilgrin: :crazyeyes: :angel: Pay hospital bill for new baby

I think I better stick with stock for now...besides I have a high compression engine. That phrase "scary fast" keeps echoing in my head though!

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
John_Mc said:
Tempting!
Get supercharger :devilgrin: :crazyeyes: :angel: Pay hospital bill for new baby

I think I better stick with stock for now...besides I have a high compression engine. That phrase "scary fast" keeps echoing in my head though!

Superchargers can make your car go real fast - but only for a short time. If you must have one, everything else in your engine better be in tip top shape and in perfect balance. These OHV engines were never intended for that kind of stress. I grew up only minutes from Judson - a relatively crude device compared to modern units, e.g. Eaton, etc. Guys would meet at Judson in Conshohocken, PA after work, and bolt on there new units. Once in a while the sounds of a connecting rod crashing through an engine block could be heard in the distance.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
If you're running about 5-6 psi of boost, that would give about a 40% increase in power. On the US version of the TR6, that would give you about 145 HP. That's about what the early UK TR5 was putting out naturally aspirated. The stock internals should be able to handle that. Especially due to the fact that you don't have to increase the redline to get that extra power. We have a guy in our club that has an Eaton on his TR6 for the past couple of years. The only thing he has proceeded to destroy was the differential! He's got a Nissan unit in there now.

The Eaton on my Miata has been there for six years, and I don't baby it.

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
tdskip said:
Hey John - you have a new one at home?!?! How did I/we miss that?

How is everyone.
Not yet, Tom. Feb. 22 is the ETA, but it could happen any time now. All are well! Thanks for asking!

OP
TR3driver

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
martx-5 said:
The kit from Jackson Racing (also sold by Moss Motors I believe) ? Friend of mine has been running one of those for some 10 years now and other than some teething problems with the blower drive belts (Jackson eventually replaced the idler pulleys, which helped a lot) it's been working fine. But he left it set for 6 psi (IIRC), instead of going for 8.

As noted, if you make sure to stay away from any detonation, then modest amounts of boost don't actually strain the engine much at all. The stress goes up very quickly with rpm, and with all that torque down low, you don't need to run at redline.

And any possible extra wear happens only when you are using the boost; most of the time it does nothing at all.

OP
TR3driver

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
martx-5 said:
The kit from Jackson Racing (also sold by Moss Motors I believe) ? ...

Yes, I got the kit from Moss when they had a sale...$2100... It was about a six hour installation. The only thing I added was an Auxiliary Control Unit (ACU) for retarding the timing when in boost. The ACU takes into account ambient temp, rpm, and boost pressure to adjust timing. It's programmable so you can epitomize the timing. Neat stuff... :laugh:

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
IMHO, many super charger buyers are looking for more power the easy way. They often bolt these onto an engine that has already been flogged badly. The results are immediate if not short lived. IMHO and from personal experience. Your friend obviously knows what he is doing and understands the limitations involved.

OP
TR3driver

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
angelfj said:
Your friend obviously knows what he is doing and understands the limitations involved.
You mean Joe, or the one with the Miata? Joe might be careful (especially with the little pulley installed), but the Miata owner just drives it like he stole it. In fact, he tends to make fun of me because I drive "normal" (ie pick a speed and hold it), while he belongs to the "standin on the throttle, standing on the brakes" school of driving. I get about 5 mpg better driving his car than he does.

And with over 130,000 on the clock (roughly 90,000 with the blower), the engine is getting a bit tired. It's down a quart when it's time to change oil, for example and maybe doesn't pull just exactly as hard as it did when we first put the blower on.

But I think that's from using cheap oil rather than the blower
grin.gif

BwanaJoe

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello to all, this would the Joe mentioned in the original post.

Since this is my first post here: greetings!

Second, the unit is SOLD pending the clearing of funds.

Third, to angelfj, I have only a small clue what the heck I am doing. And yes, I wanted the easy route to more power. Having said that, I made sure the engine was in tip-top shape and the ignition system was in tip-top shape. The gas I use is always premium and I change the oil once a year (the car rarely sees 3K a year in mileage). The gearbox fluid is changed out every two years regardless of mileage. With the large pulley you are pulling about 5psi so, as martx-5 said, you are pulling BELOW what the engine was rated for over in Europe. The smaller pulley made about 9psi and was removed after about a month of driving. The only thing that has gone wrong with the system in 10 years was to blow the by-pass valve and that was easily replaced. (Could have been due to the tiny pulley!)

Fourth, I am more careful of the TR now than I was when it was stock. In the last five years I seldom hit that 5psi mark on the gauge. That was another reason to put the unit up for sale. I found playing with the 308 for sound and speed to be more fun. (Although I must admit I like throwing the TR around in the twisty bits more; throttle steer and all that)

Fifth, it is a TR-6 engine. You have to try REALLY hard to hose one of these things.

Joe
1972 US TR-6 (soon to NOT be Supercharged)

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
BwanaJoe said:
Hello to all, this would the Joe mentioned in the original post.

Since this is my first post here: greetings!

Second, the unit is SOLD pending the clearing of funds.

Third, to angelfj, I have only a small clue what the heck I am doing. And yes, I wanted the easy route to more power. Having said that, I made sure the engine was in tip-top shape and the ignition system was in tip-top shape. The gas I use is always premium and I change the oil once a year (the car rarely sees 3K a year in mileage). The gearbox fluid is changed out every two years regardless of mileage. With the large pulley you are pulling about 5psi so, as martx-5 said, you are pulling BELOW what the engine was rated for over in Europe. The smaller pulley made about 9psi and was removed after about a month of driving. The only thing that has gone wrong with the system in 10 years was to blow the by-pass valve and that was easily replaced. (Could have been due to the tiny pulley!)

Fourth, I am more careful of the TR now than I was when it was stock. In the last five years I seldom hit that 5psi mark on the gauge. That was another reason to put the unit up for sale. I found playing with the 308 for sound and speed to be more fun. (Although I must admit I like throwing the TR around in the twisty bits more; throttle steer and all that)

Fifth, it is a TR-6 engine. You have to try REALLY hard to hose one of these things.

Joe
1972 US TR-6 (soon to NOT be Supercharged)

Joe: I sure wasn't pointing a finger but speaking in generalities. If the engine is producing more brake HP, that extra HP must be transferred from combustion to piston, to rod to crank, etc. So, all that I am saying is that the mechanical 'system' must be up to the task of transferring this additional power through the drive train to the road. You have made it very clear that you have not thrown caution to the wind.

All the best! :yesnod:

BwanaJoe

Freshman Member
Country flag
No problem man, didn't take any offense. And I can see your point that if you are producing a LOT of boost that it will quickly degrade your engine. Easily to the grenade level if it was marginal to begin with!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gee thanks Art.
Which Version?
Want one myself