• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Radio & Center Console ?'s

brent615

Jedi Trainee
Two questions:

#1 did the original AM/FM radios use a mounting bracket like you see on modern cars or did the two face plates secured with the nuts on the stems of the radio hold it in place?

#2 what size are the bolts that go through the feet of the center console into the floor boards? Either I have lost mine or it didn't have them when I bought the car and I just recently noticed things rattling in that area.

Thanks!
Brent

BobbyD

Jedi Knight
My original radio did not have a bracket but I can't say for sure that is how it came from the factory.

The dash support bolts are, as I recall, 1/4" fine thread but I bet the threads are all messed from coarse threaded bolts getting cranked in there over the years. I ended up re-tapping them to 5/16th coarse.

71TR6

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Brent,
TR6 radio used a faceplate with nuts on the radio stems to hold the radio to the center console.

The bolts holding the console to the floor are 1/4-28UNF, 1.5" long. Since it sounds like your console hasn't been installed for a while, I'd recommend chasing the threads with a tap to make sure they're clean.

RonW
71TR6

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">I used the faceplate that came with the system
No bolts but a nice braket mount behind the dash.

BTW: Bob, My center console bolts were stripped by the PO, so I re-tapped them too.
no more rattle!</span></span> :hammer:[/b][/size]
tr6.jpg

G

Ditto on the retapping. I, too, had mine stripped and went with some nice stout 5/16 SAE threads. And lock washers.

G

If nobody has hacked at your radio cut out, the stock radio fits solid with just the face plate mountings. My face plate is actually plastic and it's solid as a rock. The molding around the face plate is metal but is only a bezel for the plastic center, not a support bracket. The stock radios are very lightweight.

BLradiomounted.jpg

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I also have a traditional 3 hole radio, but mine had a strap on the back to hold the back of the radio up, otherwise thats a lot of pressure on the shafts, could break them. Look and see if you have a strap, attached to the heater if I remember correctly.

Perry

G

gbtr6 said:
I also have a traditional 3 hole radio, but mine had a strap on the back to hold the back of the radio up, otherwise thats a lot of pressure on the shafts, could break them. Look and see if you have a strap, attached to the heater if I remember correctly.

Perry

I know that it doesn't, I put it in. The original owner had an after market cassette deck that the dealer installed for him when he bought the car new. Thankfully the AM/FM cassette radio was the same size so the hole was never enlarged.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My original radio was like Stirkle's and it never had a rear bracket either. That's not to say that it shouldn't have been there, but it was a dealer installed accessory when my wife bought it new in 1974.

Minesweeper

My '76 has a factory radio support bracket spot welded to the heater box. I have a vague recollection that this bracket also acted as a chassis ground for my original radio. Maybe these brackets were added at some point in the '74 model year? Or, were there ever factory installed radios? Cars with a factory radio had a bracket and cars with dealer installed radios had no bracket????

In any event, I have often left aftermarket radios unattached to the bracket and have found that the center console alone is more than adequate.

Scott

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
My '73 has the strap for the radio...

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi- I happen to have the orignial Bendix Installation instructions for the TR6 radio. Step #3 says:

3. Fasten existing strap on heater to stud on rear of radio with M6x1 nut. (Note: for FM/AM radio, twist strap 180 degrees to align hole in strap with stud).

I hope this helps!
Gliderman8

OP
B

brent615

Jedi Trainee
thanks,,,,and thanks to all! i do appear to have a screw that I assumed was for a ground on the underside of the heater. so far the face plates seem to be holding everything in place but we all know how these things rattle! every time I hit a bump I check the rear view to see if I lost anything!! So far nothing major.