• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 EGR Thread?

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Can anyone confirm what size "plug" is needed to fill the EGR hole in the head on a '76 TR6? I can finally remove all of the pollution gear and I think I read it's a 3/4" fine pipe thread. Yes? If so, any ideas where I would find a suitable plug?

Flinkly

Jedi Trainee
stupid question, but i thought you couldn't remove pollution equipment from cars that came with it? i'm probably just missing something...being a noob and all.

or is it more of a warning?

OP
B

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Many thanks. I must admit I've been so busy collecting bits I never really looked a the base of the EGR. I always thought it would be pipe thread, but I see a lock nut on there so it's obviously just standard threading. Why did you bother cutting a screwdriver slot? Wouldn't a regular hex bolt head have served the same purpose?

Thanks for the advice on the manifold. I found a '72 manifold on ebay and had it ceramic coated so the finished product should look a bit more factory-like. I've had the pollution gear on there for 22 years since I bought the car. It's time it came off.

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
stupid question, but i thought you couldn't remove pollution equipment from cars that came with it? i'm probably just missing something...being a noob and all.

or is it more of a warning?

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on the state. Sounds to me like NJ must have a "rolling 30" rule on emissions. Anything older than 30 years and you no longer have to pass inspection. CA used to have it and then they put a dead stop at 75 or 76 I think. All the people waiting to scrap emissions were more than a little miffed over this.

I had my car in Oregon for a while but I never got it running well enough to delve into the DMV nightmares. I'm not sure what the requirements are for you but a quick trip to the DMV website for your state will usually give you the info you need.

Unless they are nuts about originality most people will strip off the emissions stuff if it is legal (or they can get away with it).... on most of these cars the same engine was in use for many many model years and the increasing emission requirements forced BL to keep "de-tuning" the cars to pass with resulting horsepower being lopped of 5 or 10 points at a time.

tomshobby

Yoda
When I installed it I had the manifolds off. The srew slot let me hold it right where I wanted it while I tightened the lock nut. It probably would not be necessary.

I did keep all the emissions parts when I removed them. The PO had made it non functional already and so I was in the middle either way. Fix or remove.

Removing was close to free and fixing would have been expensive.

I did gain noticable power by removing the pump and air tubes.

A side on the EGR systems and the TR6 one in particular. I worked as an auto mechanic during the 80's and 90's. I noticed the EGR vehicles seemed to have a shorter engine life and I have always thought it was at least partly due to recycling the carbon laden exhaust gases back through the engine. The TR6 system had me baffled as to why it was only on one exhaust port and would seem to have little effect on the others. Government concept is all I could figure out.

OP
B

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
As for the legality of it all, I really don't know. I am in NJ and I managed to squeak the car by for years under the old regs. Then about six years ago they tightened them up yet again and the State recognized this would bounce all of the borderline collector cars so they created a third category called "collector" which was more liberal for actually using the car than "antique." I have little doubt they want owners to retain whatever polution controls came with the car even though they no longer check emissions or under the hood for this new category. It seems hard to believe the EGR/air-pump system really worked all that well, and besides, I only put about 800 miles on the car a year so I think I can live with my environmental conscience.

Oh, and I bought an alloy valve cover which I understand might not fit with the EGR, so there's another half-baked excuse.....

RomanH

Jedi Knight
Under federal law it is illegal to remove or tamper with any anti pollution device originally fitted to the vehicle for the prescribed model year. There are no exceptions to this. For what it is worth

tomshobby

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Under federal law it is illegal to remove or tamper with any anti pollution device originally fitted to the vehicle for the prescribed model year. There are no exceptions to this. For what it is worth

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely correct. That includes many engine modifications including, custom cams, distributer changes, carburator changes, headers, exhaust systems, to name a few. I would think that the vast majority of these cars are in violation in some way.

OP
B

bunzil

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Er, um, sorry, my server has blocked your emails.

swift6

Yoda
Roman and Tom are right. Under Federal law your not to tamper with ANY emissions device or alter the engine in any way that will effect the emissions output of the vehicle as it came from the factory. Even if it improves/lowers emissions. Its a zero tamper law.

Fortunately for us, the Federal government does not enforce this law anymore to any real measurable extent. They leave it to each state.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif