• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Convertible Top Boot Cover.

TR6Stuart

I've had some really good advice from this site with regards to installation of a convertible top. What advice can be given about installation of the boot cover?

StuartTR6

Freshman Member
The boot cover I have has no snaps attached to it. I was just wondering if there was any particular method, way, to do this. Usually when someone done a certain job there's always a simple and a hard way to do it.
wink.gif

G

Line up the two ends that will overlap the aluminum caps atop the door posts (might need an extra pair of hands here), then install the first snap(s) in the rear center, with adequate material overlapping the now-folded top. Then start stretching, and install each successive snap till you get to the front. Remember to get maximum stretch or you won't have much to cover the ends. You can install the strap down on the inside if you please.

Bill

Cain

Jedi Trainee
Along these same lines, I'll be doing this job after I get my car painted. My TR6 has the male snaps on the body. The boot cover I bought is new and has no snaps installed.

I figure on removing the male snaps from the body before getting the car painted and replacing them with new ones after the car is painted. I assume the best way to do this would be to replace them in the same location they are now and put the snaps in the boot cover to match the ones on the body. Is this a good assumption?

What is the best way (tool) to remove the old snaps from the body?

G

First, removing the old snap simply requires using a new, sharp drill bit that is smaller than the hole drilled in the body. This is important as you will tend to wallow out the hole in the body and new pop rivets won't grip anymore. Had this happen to more than a few of mine and had to back all the pop rivets with washers. Not an easy task in all areas, but doable. The last thing you want is a snap that is not snugged down tightly. Also, might I suggest that you purchase the stiffer Dot brand female component of the snap set for your top and cover. These things don't hold well after a while. NEVER use the cheap snaps from the hobby store. They are plated steel and will RUST. Stick with Dot brand. A good upholstery shop should stock them. May have to grip the male and the female snap component with pliers to hold them steady when drilling. Just as easy to take the old snaps out of the top to freshen them with new ones. May have to back them with a small piece of old top material glued in place.

Good luck

Bill

G

Too, King Richard (on the web) markets the greatest snap setting device known. A must if you want to install snaps in the future.

Bill