• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Total Eclipse

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
When the eclipse is total, you can look at it with the naked eye (in fact you won't see anything if you use a filter). However - if you want to see the partial phases, please use an ISO-12312-2 certified solar film or glass. I would highly recommend NOT using welders glass or a dark filter made for a camera. For example, I'll be shooting the partial phases with an 18-stop Firecrest solar filter. However, the manufacture explicitly states not to view the sun directly with your eyes using this filter as it only blocks visible light and doesn't block the UV light that can damage your eyes.

This image shows a woman's eye with a crescent-shaped burn on her retina. This is permanent damage and does greatly impact her vision.
Protect your eyes!

eye damage.jpg

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
We're in the path of totality. Totality should last 3m 58s in our driveway, 3m 25s on the land where my cars live and the dogs love to run. There's virtually no light pollution out there so I think I'd rather sacrifice 23 seconds just to experience the darkness.

Unfortunately my wife is convinced that our dogs need to stay inside that day -- "they'll look up when they see you looking up!" No Dear, they never ever look where I'm looking. They'll be too busy running around like crazy jackals or trying to flush out some underground critters, just like they always do.

Also, animals are smart enough not to stare at the sun! One of our dogs thinks she can catch a hovering bird or a helicopter if she leaps high enough, and to my knowledge she's never blinded herself chasing either one. Believe it or not, she's not even the smartest one in the house...

(Yes, we're also right under the flight path from Fort Hood Cavazos. The choppers fly over so low they sound like they're trying to land in our backyard.)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Speaking of dogs, MrsJP was at a lecture on the eclipse and the presenters urged us to also be aware of animal behaviour during the eclipse. He particularly noted that we should expect birds to fall silent.

Country flag
Yep, the eclipse total zone edge is about 30 miles west of me and they say it might clear off enough to see it Monday. Since I have to work, what I'll see will be what's on the evening news. Least I don't need to worry about protecting my eyes....

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Our location continues to be clear weather. (please don't jinx it by saying that last part out loud} Got my daughter coming, her partner and three others who are also our (unofficial) children. So even if the weather is lousy it is a win!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Our location continues to be clear weather. (please don't jinx it by saying that last part out loud} Got my daughter coming, her partner and three others who are also our (unofficial) children. So even if the weather is lousy it is a win!

Lucky guy to have that weather! I'll notify our 600 members, charter the buses, and we should be at your house around 6pm Sunday. A simple dinner with moderate cost wines will be fine.

Last edited:

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The total path is not-quite centered on but certainly encompasses my yard, so technically I don't h ave to go anywhere to view - but the weather promises to make me miss it anyway.....all clouds here unless the patterns shift over the next 2-3 days.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Lucky guy to have that weather! I'll notify our 600 members, charter the buses, and we should be at your house around 6pm Monday. A simple dinner with moderate cost wines will be fine.
Hilarious - too late though

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So how is it going everyone? A little cloudy here but I think we should be OK.

BTW University of Toronto is livestreaming soon if anyone is interested: