• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

top five "watch for this" list

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
top five "watch for this" list

The latest issue of Austin Healey Magazine has a tech article on fuel pumps, pointing out that regular conscientious maintenance of the stock pump breaker points and diaphragm can keep roadside fuel pump repairs at bay. It was enlightening to this non-mechanic, the kind of tip that I need. The fact is, I need them all.

I do not expect to do most of my own work, but I need to learn what parts are most susceptible to failure and how often to look for what. I learn reasonably well from books, so if there is a title or two you can recommend, let me know. But maybe when you finish reading this you could just type a quick response of the few items you regularly look for. Just from reading recent posts, I gather carb tuning gets occassional important attention. How often is adjustment required there?

And since my first LBC, a BJ8, is on its way to me now, brace yourself for more newbie questions displaying a similar level of ignorance. Thanks!

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Re: top five "watch for this" list

Hi Tom,
If your car doesn’t come with an owner’s manual, you may want to get one. It has a pretty good maintenance schedule. It is not a shop manual, so there aren’t any “how-tos”. Here is one on Ebay . Some quick things to look for would be; dashpot oil level in the carbs, tightness of knockoffs (some people put a witness mark on the knockoff and hub of the wire wheel), adjust points, etc.

roscoe

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag

Tom, the best advice I can think of for someone who has one of these machines, but does not do their own work, is that they really aren't like modern cars. I get into my Honda day after day, and with routine maintenance, nothing seems to just stop working, start leaking, or make unusual noises. Wheels/Brakes, fuel delivery, and ignition circuits (including the coil and distributor)need to be working properly to get you there and home. If and when they act up, pay attention and get them looked at. It really all depends on the condition of your new vehicle (which you didn't mention). A really good restoration, done properly, may give you years of trouble-free fun. Someone's daily driver that is mid time between restorations will have some quirks. From reading this forum and especially the archives, you will find many things you can do to increase the reliability of your car (solid state fuel pump and solid state ignition come to mind). Eventhough I've just finished my restoration I'll tell you that my "spares kit" will probably fill my trunk for the first couple of thousand miles. Have a great time with your new purchase.

Jon

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Well Tom, if you learn well from books. I would also recommend that you get a Shop Manual and a Parts manual for your car. IMOP, these two documents are virtually indispensable items when looking for or remedying problems on the car.--Fwiw--Keoke-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cowboy.gif

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag

Hi Tom,

Several years ago I compiled some information that I think you might find to be very helpful and interesting. I've attached it in the form of two PDFs.

I also cannot recommend strongly enough that you join your local Austin-Healey club, the Gateway Austin-Healey Club, and of course the national club with which they are affiliated: Austin-Healey Club of America.

Attachments

• 7871.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 272
  • 7872.pdf
    38.9 KB · Views: 307
OP
T

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag

Thanks all. I'll find out if the car comes with any of those manuals.

I've already joined the local club, plus my car is a 2001 restoration with maybe 10,000 miles since then, so I have not made any major mistakes yet. When it is here, I'll take it to the mechanic and spend an hour or two going over everything with him, taking copious notes.

Hey Reid, I recognize those attachments as the AH website wisdom I have already nearly memorized. They have been a big help in understanding what little I do know.

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight

First welcome to the Forum. Second, as you drive your car, ask questions and learn. Not one of us new everything when we first got started. You may never be able to do everything with your car, but as time goes on, you'll learn more and more. Enjoy!!!!!