• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Today's Project-Harley Muffler

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
First let me say that I am not the first to do this, so it is not an original idea. I think I saw it on this forum. I have not been pleased with the exhaust note every since I put in the 1275. As most of us do, I have several friends with bikes, so I asked if anyone had a take-off stock muffler and I was given this one.

DSC_0434.jpg

It is about the same length, but the pipe size is larger. I had to make an adapter from a couple of tailpipe reducers. This project would not have taken as long if my 20 year old mig welder had not decided to give problems. This muffler had a cross over port that I had to plug. The good feature was that it has 5/16" thread mounts welded on. So I used a rubber exhaust hanger like most modern imports use. I had to take it apart and position it differently than normal.

DSC_0437.jpg

Looks good and sounds pretty good too. Not as raspy as the stock muffler..

DSC_0435.jpg

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Tom,

I have similiar on Bugsy my '68 w BE Bonnet. It did not have the crossover port so it was easy to fit with a couple of adapters to get to the right size pipe. I tried several other shapes and they sounded like a huge fart when you revved it. This shape gives a great tone. I just posted pics on another Harley muffler a few minutes ago.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Jim, that's a really nice look and good sound to boot. I've got to try that!
Rut

OP
sqbsprite

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
58Custom said:
Is this the only muffler? I like the look.

Yes. It's a straight pipe all the way from the exhaust manifold to the rear. This one has a nice low tone and is pretty quite at highway speed.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
No Muffler on Bugsy just the Harley unit and it has most of the baffles punched out.

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
sqbsprite said:
58Custom said:
Is this the only muffler? I like the look.

Yes. It's a straight pipe all the way from the exhaust manifold to the rear. This one has a nice low tone and is pretty quite at highway speed.

This is going into the mental inventory. I shall keep an eye out for a matched pair just for fun. A 2.0 Fiat TC might need some extra flow volume.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That is a fine looking instlation. Well done.

OP
sqbsprite

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
kellysguy said:
Did you knock the center baffle plug out?

I did not knock out the baffle. I wanted to see how it sounded first. Not sure I want it any louder.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
The 2 HD mufflers I bought from Hooey just arrived and I can't wait to get one installed. It looks pretty straight forward, but is there anything I need to know?
Thanks, Rut

hooey

just make shure that the pipe you make gose in the in side of the muffler and gose on the out side if the incoming pipe
so it don't leek

G

hooey said:
just make shure that the pipe you make gose in the in side of the muffler and gose on the out side if the incoming pipe
so it don't leek

Or you can cut the factory HD flange off and shove your factory MG (1 1/2") pipe inside the muffler then weld it up. Mine had a pretty good pressed fit.

I'd knock the center plug out of it too. You can re install it later if it's too loud. The only problem I see leaving it in is the muffler was only designed to flow half of the volume of your engine at any given RPM. There aren't too many holes before the plug. Look inside it and you'll see what I mean.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks for the info...my exhaust is 2" from the header back so I'll reduce it to 1.75" for the muffler.
Thanks, Rut

OP
sqbsprite

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
kellysguy said:
hooey said:
I'd knock the center plug out of it too. You can re install it later if it's too loud. The only problem I see leaving it in is the muffler was only designed to flow half of the volume of your engine at any given RPM. There aren't too many holes before the plug. Look inside it and you'll see what I mean.

Not all of them can be knocked our. Most are welded in. I drilled some 5/16" holes in mine yesterday. Totally ruined the sound. It now sounds about like it did with the other muffler. I wasn't going for the open piped Harley sound. Might try the other one by putting just one hole in the baffle.

G

sqbsprite said:
kellysguy said:
hooey said:

Not all of them can be knocked our. Most are welded in..

I worked at a H-D dealer, the softail muffler he has can be knocked out. Sporties too. I haven't come across one yet that couldn't be knocked out 'cept that varible one. I'm talking about the center plug, not the core.

OP
sqbsprite

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I tried knocking out the center plug and it would not move. I went to some HD Forums where the method was discussed and most folks said you have to drill them out on the newer ones. I don't know much about them other than that. Maybe they are just tighter than I thought they should be. These are off a '08 model and were hardly used. Either way, I'm still looking for something a bit more mellow. I liked the sound before I drilled it out. Not sure if there is any more back pressure than a stock muffler which is smaller in diameter.