• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

To W123 or not W123?

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Will keep all posted! I have not confirmed whether it is a turbo; I have not been to the shop in a month or so.

And yes, the interior is decent. It has 200k miles, so not perfect, but worth shampooing.

And no idea about the a/c. I believe it works, but not sure if it has been converted or otherwise modified / maintained.

Patiently waitingā€¦

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
So it's been over a month now, have we any update on the situation?

I don't believe there was ever a 300D NON-turbo imported to the US, as well as there being no 300D Turbo diesel without a sunroof coming here.

Have seen some gray-market W123 chassis two-door versions, one had been butchered with having a Chevy small block stuffed in it (a horror story, as I had to sort out making the A/C & vacuum systems work after the "proud new owner" brought it to us to finish!). Another "gray car" was a 380 SEL with scant hope of finding the right Euro injection parts. None of that should be a concern if it's a US sold-car tho.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Iā€™m equally curious. I think heā€™s taking my comment, ā€œsummer driverā€œ to heart!

trust me, youā€™ll be the first to know! (After my wifeā€¦šŸ˜€)

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I need to bring my ā€œdailyā€ to him in a few weeksā€¦ Iā€™ll ask then. I know his rebuilding of the M1 plus his head mechanic being called out for a lengthy jury duty put him underwater for a bit of time. (Hard to hire qualified folks!)

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It is pretty bad when us old qualifieds have to be depended on because the younger ones don't want to learn.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Some bad news: the car in question had significant rot in the bulkhead, and my mechanic got rid of it instead of selling it.

Iā€™m bummed!

Then again, he has a 190 with about 70kā€¦

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Mike - what year is the 190? Diesel or gasoline?
Technically, he has three: an 1986 16v, a 1958 with matching luggage, and a 1986 with the 2.3 gas. It is the last one that is on my price range. I would enjoy the 1958 the most; but itā€™s probably not the best ā€œdailyā€!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I think I could have driven my 1959 four cylinder gasoline 190b to the moon and back. Great car.

Is that 1986 a 190E? They were relatively *rare*, and usually considered performance cars. As you know, check for corrosion as well as mechanicals. Replacement parts are pricey, and the E had a special engine and gearbox.

Tom M.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hi Tom. The car is a 190E, with fuel injection. I do not believe the base 190, carbureted, was imported to the US - but could be wrong. The 16 valve is the performance version - and appropriately priced!

And yes, the pontoon is a great and reliable car. Iā€™d just feel terrible if anything silly happened to it; parking lot dings, stone chips, bird poop, etc.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Shame about the diesel.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Might be sour grapes, but I'm not sure the "matched luggage" (Baisch?) was ever made for the ponton 190. 220 yes, but 190 - hmmm.
Good points! I wonder if the luggage comes from an ā€œSā€? If the trunk is roughly the same sizeā€¦. (ā€œIf the shoe fitsā€). Iā€™ve not seen the car nor luggage in person, so I canā€™t speak with any authority, other than the car has luggage of the same vintage.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Some background on the Baisch-Mercedes connection:

By the way, that connection ended in 1957.

Note how the luggage is made to fit the ponton trunk:

luggage_220S_67866.jpg

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
So, itā€™s not quite a 123, specifically 9 fewer, but I did this:
IMG_6357.jpeg

It is a proverbially ā€œlittle old ladyā€ car: it is a1971 W114 250 (2.8 straight six). It was purchased by ā€œCathyā€ in 1973 - possibly as a 50th birthday present. She drove it until 2022, when unfortunately she passed away at the fantastic age of 99. She willed the car to her mechanic. He kept it for a year, but came to realize he wasnā€™t giving it the love it needs, which is where I came in.

Lovely car, only a bit of rust on the trunk floor (hopefully easy to remedy as it is both flat and not visible). Air conditioning, radio, indestructible and eminently cleanable MB-Tex seats, and fewer rattles than my 2012 daily. Most importantly, it has four doors which means can take the whole crew for ice cream runs!

It has not been driven much in the past 10-odd years. The carburetors need a good cleaning (I bought an ultrasonic cleaner for the occasion), as does the car in general. Not ā€œfilthyā€ per se, but it is a whole lot brighter on the inside after a good scrubbing!

Unfortunately this means I am selling my TR4A; it should be going live on BaT this afternoon. My garage is not big enoughšŸ™

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Congratulations on the W114, that is an excellent car, and should give you many good years of service.

I am sorry to hear about your TR4A.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Bravo on the W114! Great car, great reputation, and several good forums and parts suppliers to rely on.

(Is that a blue/gray 1961 220S in the background?)