• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Struggling with top

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone else have trouble putting up a TR-6 top? It takes 3 people to put mine up. The top was new about 10 years ago but must have shrunk although it was never easy to put up. Too tight. It must have been installed on a hot day. Short of a new top, is there anything I can do? Is there a top that doesn't shrink and is easy to put up? My TR-3, 3 MG-TDs, Corvair convertible and Twin Cam MGA never had a problem. Neither did my son's Fiat.Just reach back, flip it over your head and latch.

PD

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Keep it down and only drive it on nice days

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Careful what you wish for. My previous top went up and down with almost no effort -except the frame was so loose it took 6 hands to move it into latching position. But when it was up, and driven at highway speed, it raised up, flopped around and was very noisy. The one I have now goes up easily when about 80 degrees, but is a pain when cold. When I drive with the top up at any speed or temperature, it is quiet, and always looks nice and snug. Living in Texas I generally let it down -the worst thing to do to a top for shrinkage. Today I put it up in the garage and it's been cold lately (in the 60's) because I plan to drive it this weekend with a 80% chance of rain.

Store your car with the top up, it will shrink less, but you'll end up wearing the top out just putting it up and down. Store it with the top down, and plan to have a tough time putting it up, especially when cold. Get a removable hard top and the top will always be where you don't want it. Just because it's a convertible doesn't mean it's always perfect.

Attachments

• 23798.jpg
    23798.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 309

SkinnedKnuckles

Jedi Trainee
Yep - it shrinks as the plasticizers evaporate out over time. The best thing to do is try and catch a hot day when you want to put it up, or get out a hair drier/heat gun to warm it up in the garage so it bends a bit.

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
There should be a small amount of play in the frame were it mounts to the car just behind the door at the rear door jamb. It's a triangle shaped piece that's held in place by three screws. You may be able to lower it or move it front or back for a small adjustment.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
pdplot said:
My TR-3, 3 MG-TDs, Corvair convertible and Twin Cam MGA never had a problem. Neither did my son's Fiat.Just reach back, flip it over your head and latch.

PD

I'd like to know how you just reached back and flipped the top over you head on the TR3, MG-TDs, and the MGA. :confuse:

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well my top is new and the canvas type material and I too struggle getting it put up but I also leave mine down all the time

Hondo

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I should mention my trick. Harbor Freight has a "cargo holder" or something intended to be used in the bed of a pick-up truck to keep the load from moving too much. It has rubber blocks on each end and can latch to several lengths (for different truck bed widths). It also has 'turnbuckle' threads at each end to allow turning the rod to lock it into place. It happens to fit nicely between the rear deck of a TR6 and the center of the top frame above the windshield. A few turns and the top can be latched without assistance. I am careful to not stretch it too much, but have no idea what it will take to tear.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi All, over the years of putting these tops on I found a couple things that solves the problem of shrinkage. When installing the side clips, where ever you think you need the clip, go 1/2 inch longer. pulling everything so tight to make it look like a hard top will not pay off. The straps that space the bars should have a little slack in them.
You will be a lot happier over the years if you give things a little slack.

Wayne

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Shrinkage,
Oh come now . When Wayne said it , you were all thinking it!

NKzj_Nc" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Brosky said:
Tex, do you have a link or picture for that?

Could THIS be it Paul?.... just a WAG

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
New or not there is a big difference in the quality of tops on the market today.If you have a cheap one you now know why you should invest in quality...
The tr6 is about the easiest top you could ever have to install so as long as it is (fairly new) a good quality top goes on in a snap(if you have a snap tool).
Use a good contact adhesive to baste the top to the header after it is well fastened int the rear and sides.Pull it fairly tight ,the latch it and check the fit.the adhesive will let you fine tune for several minutes(3M black weatherstrip)when you have it right then you rivet on the seal retainer and install the front seal.
If you replaced the webbing you will have several more things to fiddle with.
MD(mad dog)

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Gliderman8 said:
Could THIS be it Paul?.... just a WAG

That's not exactly what I have -though it may work. I'm sure the ones I have came from the local HB store a few years ago, and were on big sale, so perhaps they were on clearance too. I can't find it listed now. Mine has spring buttons to fit in holes to adjust for largely different lengths, and the screw ends to snug it up. It's the same as a basic shower curtain rod.

I think I post more pictures than anyone, but how many words they might save.

Attachments

• 23812.jpg
    23812.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 129
  • 23813.jpg
    23813.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 23814.jpg
    23814.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 136
OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
You read it wrong. The Fiat top was easy. The british tops were hard. The 3-bow TD top was a bit easier than the 2-bow on the two earlier TDs that I owned back in the day (One with a Lea-Francis engine that I had installed. Whatever happened to it?). The TR-3 was easy because it came off the bows and was stuck folded in the trunk.I hear the Miata top is easy too.
PD