• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Slooooowwww loading - is it me?

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
My computer times out before it can load this page, at least 50% of the time. Is anyone else having a hard time getting here? I know Basil was moving the site to a new server. Was that done already?
Well, I love BCF anyways (when I can get on)
Cheers!
Randy '66 BJ8 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It is you. Have had no probs with new server.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I just turned on debugging which shows page load times at the bottom of the page (and how many database querries were made). I refreshed this page a few times and here are the times I got for loading this page:

.106 (little over 1/10th second)

Are you on a dial up? If so, what's your connection speed? You might try clearing your browser's temp files and see if that helps.

Basil

PS: I just noticed that you have a signature image that is not displaying. Your connection may be timing out trying to find that missing image? You might try removing that from your sig line, or change to a picture that will display (the server you are linking to make be blocking the picture?)

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Randy, At times I've had the same issue. But only on BCF. Not the other sites I normally visit. Happens maybe once a month. Sometimes takes a 30 seconds to a minute to load. I connect via high speed cable.
Although frustating, the end results are always worth it.
Rob

Basil

Administrator
Boss
If you click a link and it doesn't start loading within a few seconds, try clicking the same link again. There are so many factors that can affect a pages load time, but hopefully since the recent move to new hardware, things will improve.

OP
Randy Harris

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
This is so strange. I have a blazingly fast DSL connection that zooms me to every site I visit, except this one. I deactivated my avatar image. Maybe that will have an affect.
Thanks
Randy

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
This is so strange. I have a blazingly fast DSL connection that zooms me to every site I visit, except this one.

Randy

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too Randy you are not alone,but Basil said things will get better pretty soon.---Keoke

stinky60

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I got dial up and a new computer , no problems here everything is fast. except for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Me too Randy you are not alone,but Basil said things will get better pretty soon.---Keoke

[/ QUOTE ]

Things should already be better. If not, try turning off signatures in your profile (it could be that some folks's signatures are linking to other sites which are loading pictures slow? Just a guess.

Basil

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I use 1.5 M DSL at home. 1 G at work but it doesn't make any difference where I am. This web site has always had relatively slow response time. I want to say that I am in no way complaining because I understand how much work and expense it is for Basil to keep this site up and running.
For informational purposes only, right after the move to the new server/configuration, the reponse time became slower. It was noticeable enough to me that I ran " DR. PING " to several servers around the country to make certain that my local DSL service was not acting up. To make a long story short, my DSL service out to the world is not the problem.... As Basil said, there are so many factors, any one of which could cause slow response time, that we may never find out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I am timing out now before I get an acknowledgement that my post was accepted. The response time is very slow right now. For what it's worth, check your MTU size settings on the server. We may be fragmenting message packets from around the country but you may not notice a problem due to not going through as many routers to get to your server as most of the rest of us. If your MTU settings are OK, perhaps your server has a memory leak in one or more processes ?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hey Randy, and all my other new friends here on BCF. On a positive note, my speed is fine, DSL. How thankful am I for I visit this site everyday. So for the rest of you, I sympathize. I can always count on the friendliness and helpfulness from everyone here, to help me through my restoration. Best of luck to those who are running a bit slow. God speed to thee. Cheers, Roger

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I just ran Dr. Ping. Right now there are serious " problems " on my side of the country.....
Sorry, 92 pings gave errors or timeouts. 74 from 91 IPs were reachable. - no record will be made....
So right now, it is certainly not the server.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
Whatever it was, it is working now. The " XX " is to protect Me and Basil:
//////
Tracing route to britishcarforum.com [216.xx.xxx.xxx]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 13 ms 12 ms * 68.xxx.xxx.xx
2 12 ms 13 ms 13 ms 68.xxx.xxx.xx
3 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms 205.152.134.81
4 * 27 ms 28 ms axr00asm-7-1-0-0.bellsouth.net [65.83.237.36]
5 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms pxr00asm-0-0-0.bellsouth.net [65.83.236.0]
6 28 ms 28 ms 27 ms so-1-0-0.gar1.Atlanta1.Level3.net [67.72.8.5]
7 28 ms 28 ms 27 ms ae-2-52.bbr2.Atlanta1.Level3.net [4.68.103.33]
8 48 ms 47 ms 47 ms ae-0-0.bbr1.Chicago1.Level3.net [64.159.1.33]
9 47 ms 47 ms 48 ms ge-6-0.ipcolo2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.68.101.9]

10 47 ms 47 ms 52 ms 4.79.66.18
11 85 ms 46 ms 47 ms 62.216-86-149.nozonenet.com [216.xx.xxx.xx]
12 48 ms 49 ms 78 ms vswitch2.nozonenet.com [216.xx.xxx.xx]
13 51 ms 48 ms 47 ms server.britishcarforum.com [216.xx.xxx.xx]

Trace complete.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is so strange. I have a blazingly fast DSL connection that zooms me to every site I visit, except this one.

Randy

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not know Basil if things are better or worser.Could not get this forum up for two days/////.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
[ QUOTE ]
Have not been able to access for a couple of days now

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. This morning is the first time I could access since the weekend /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif