• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sad to say, but it's decision time - Sell whole or part out?

AHRMA361

I had high expectations over a year ago when I bought my BE, scrounged some parts, got it running nice, put some sweat-equity into it etc.

But, I have come to the realization this is a project that is beyond me right now. Work time and travel have been high and available funds have been low. Oldest daughter started college this fall and bought a car for my youngest daughter who is next in line to college.

I really appreciated all the great and insightful info I received when I joined this forum about my car. A wealth of knowledge resides here.

So, I have decided that my project needs to move on to someone that has the time and vision to enjoy this car.

My question to the group is should I try and sell it whole or part it out? I want to be fair either way but I also know any proceeds are going to tuition for my daughter. Any input on value that you experts can pass on as far as to selling it complete or as parts is very appreciated.

I never got to drive the car after getting it running due to needing the brakes fixed first and in some way I am glad I didn't because it probably would have made this decision even harder. I have copied the link below that has a lot of info on the car.

Thanks in advance for any positive or negative input! I hope to be back, post-college kids, and find that BE that I know will be around for me.

Original BCF thread:
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...geye-Sprite-Mk1-owner-looking-for-some-advice

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Have you considered just "storage-proofing" and cover it and let it sit till you have the time and resources?

Country flag
Unless you bought it REALLLY cheap, you will probably just break even either way. Still, probably best to let it go and buy a better one later when funds and time allows.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Wow, tough decision to make. I think most of us have struggled with the 'what to dos' when faced with a restoration and life has a way of making us question our decision to do this. Here's what I would do if: if I had storage that I was not paying for and I wasn't tripping over the car everyday I would keep it. When I bought my Bugeye I was still working and I didn't have time to do much other than research and restore some of the small parts, but I always had the dream. If I didn't have this forum to keep me interested my outcome might have been different. If you really do decide to sell I would clean the car up and post it on BAT and well as the classifieds here and try to get your money out of it. This is a tough time of year to try to sell and you'll probably have better luck in the spring. If you part it out (shudder) and put it on eBay or CL you will deal with every creep out there who only wants the heater control or something similar and all the packaging and shipping will drive you nuts. These are great little cars and there's always someone with the bug to buy, you just have to connect. Good luck and Merry Christmas!
Rut

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
If you decide to sell, I agree with selling it whole. You'll drive yourself nuts parting it out and you may end up with some parts you just can't sell. Besides, if you part it out, that Sprite will probably never be whole again. Pass it on to a next owner. Sorry you can't finish it off and storing it until you have the time and funds might not be the worst idea.

Steve P.

Jedi Hopeful
IMO, if there is any way to hold onto it do so. These are getting more expensive all the time
and will continue to do so for quite a while. I regret not holding onto my MGA and now, a couple
decades later, I can't afford one. Or more accurately, won't pay the crazy prices people want.

If you do sell don't try to part it out. You'll end up with many leftovers that will be junked
eventually.
Steve

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
My vote, if you are unable to hang onto it, is also to sell it whole, especially if your time is limited. I think all the reasons why have been covered pretty well.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Add another vote for selling whole. Unless you have infinite amounts of time and patience, parting it out is going to be an exercise in frustration, and if you have that kind of time to part it out, you have the time to continue the restoration. Heck, there may be people here interested in picking up the torch or know someone who wants to jump into this kind of project.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
And another vote for "whole." In fact, I'd REQUIRE that a buyer has to take it all (and any stray parts) so-as to simplify the process.

Last edited:
OP
A

AHRMA361

Thanks for all the input guys. Long term storage isn't in the cards unfortunately.

Rut - You are right, I will wait until late winter/early spring to put it up for sale. As a complete car.

I don't want the bother of trying to part it out and I appreciate the reality check you all pointed out on that idea.

Any of you have a range of price in mind that would be fair to ask for it? Thanks again for all the help.

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hey Mike, I see you are in northeast Ohio. Since you never had the chance to drive your little beastie, you can take a spin in mine once the weather is nice. They really are a hoot. If you'd like, I'm sure we can arrange it.

OP
A

AHRMA361

Very nice of you to offer Hugh. I assume that is your car in your sig line. Looks beautiful. Is that a cafΓ© bike in the lower left corner of the pic?

CLEAH

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mike, thanks. The Sprite is a decent driver. The bike is a CB350 cafe style I was building, but I sold it for lack of time. Same reason I finally sent the BJ8 away for a full professional restoration--no time to devote to it. It comes home in a few weeks! Drop me a line in the summer if you want to give the Sprite a go!