• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Round driving lamps for 72 TR6

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hello everyone,

Has anyone ever seen or better yet, have pics of a TR6 with round driving lamps mounted on the front bumper? I know with the way that the bonnet opens they would either have to be super thin or mounted several inches in front of the bumper, so I am at a loss with which brands would fit or look good.

Thanks in advance!

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Shannon,
Just sent you a pic via email. I think these look great.

Cain

Jedi Trainee
Let us know what you end up doing. I'm interested in doing this as well and would like more information.

G

I'd like to see more details on this as well. Specifically maybe some close up pics of the mounts.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Cain,

I bought some Hella 500 Driving lamps. Those suckers have a 1800ft. range so I'll be seeing well!

https://www.hella.com/produktion/HellaPor...0/Model_500.jsp

I'm going to try to install them this weekend on top of the bumper. I did a test fit last night and there is enough room to open and shut the hood. The only real work I have to do is figure out where I'm going to mount the toggle switch.

My only wish is that the housing was chrome instead of black ABS plastic. But the lamps will be so close to the grill that it would difficult to tell unless you where right up on them.

I'll post pics once I'm done.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I suppose you could mount them below the bumper, Shannon, but the range would be poor and you might dazzle other drivers unless the top of the beam has a very sharp cutoff; just a thought!
Simon.

G

It might seem like a silly question, but if you want them as 'driving' lamps rather than foglamps, why not just wire them in with your highbeams. You have an extra space for a bullet connector on the harness right in front of the radiator where the high beam cables split (it's a 4-way), so you could take that to a relay and keep the inside looking stock.

Just a thought.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I plan to wire them into the high beams, but I still want the switch there for manual control. I really don't know why I would need manual control...maybe it's something I need to see a therapist about... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I was planning to use a small metal plate to mount the switches under the dash somewhere. I already have one toggle switch mounted that I use for a electric fan override. I purchased an identical switch for the lamps as well.

71tr

Jedi Warrior
Is there any way to wire them into your rheostat? That thing is useless as is.

Dugger

I used an interior courtesy light switch for the *fog* lamps, mounted below the radio, but I had to remove the lights because one had an unfortunate collision with a ufo (?)...ouch. So now I have the switch/wiring, but no lamps. Just another item on the list...one of these days.

G

An option would be the rectangular Cibie Airports (coated the soda glass lense with the 3M thick plastic) mounted below the bumper. The switch replaced the seat belt light on the dash. The little lighted switch I found at a marine electronics store and it fit perfectly inside the housing of the OE belt light frame. I know, the "fog light" label is hoakey but I had some idle time to kill one day. The lights are relayed and independant of the harness.

Bill
fog001.jpg

fog002.jpg

I forgot to wash the car after a Louisiana mosquito run.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: Round driving lamps for 72 TR6 - Updated!!

I ended up getting a set of Hella 500's. Pretty simple to install and I think they look pretty good. The only thing I wish is that they had a chrome housing.

Here are some pics of my semi-complete install. I still have to do some tidying up with the wiring not to mention adjust them, but it's mostly done.

They're about twice as bright as my high beams.

Now, does anyone know where I can get some Union Jack lamp covers?

normal_Picture%20001.jpg

normal_Picture%20002.jpg

The switch panel I rigged up:
normal_Picture%20005.jpg

Cain

Jedi Trainee

Shannon,

Those lights look great!!

I'm just wondering, but did you cover the dash support yourself? I've got one that needs to be recovered, and I don't feel like shelling out the $100 or so for a kit. I've got a linear yard of some vinyl that's close to the original - I used it to recover my passenger side crash pad. I started to recover my dash support with it, but it turned into a nightmare due to all of the right angles, etc. I figured to do it myself I would have to put seams in it. I looks as though yours has seams and looks great. Let me know if you have any tips on how to do it - or if you could post or send me more pics of your dash support so I can better see the seams.

I was also thinking about taking it to the shop where I bought the vinyl and getting a quote from them on how much it would cost for them to recover it. But, I figure it would be as much as the kit.

OP
LastDeadLast

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag

Cain,

Thanks! The dash support came with the car as you see it. It did have a radio, but I took that out first thing and installed the radio delete kit that I purchased from Moss. Which in retrospect, I could have done myself. However, since the radio delete kit was made of decently thick metal, it made the perfect mounting point for the driving light and electric fan switches.

I know the big three sell a molded cover kit for the support, but it's about a $100 if I remember.

Cain

Jedi Trainee

Bill,

What make/model fog lamps are those? I think I'd be better off installing fog lamps instead of driving lamps.

G

Cain,
Those are Cibie Airports. They come both clear (driving) or amber (fog). They also come with black-coated metal housing like mine, or chrome. If you look closely, you will see the thick plastic cover that I laminated over the lenses. Those are soda glass lenses and very susceptable to rocks, especially mounted down low like mine. I like them really low for fog, and they are quite brilliant. I used the wiring diagrams from Dan Masters' elctrical book on Triumphs to custom wire the things in with relay, fuse and totally independant of the car's harness. They are pricey little buggers but Cibies are premium lights. They use an H2 bulb. The only place I can find them is Aardvark (on the web) lighting and accessories.

Bill