• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

RoadForce Tire Balancing I Don't Understand???

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
I am trying to chase down a severe vibration that has developed in the TR250. This occurs in the front end and at its peak it is difficult to hold the steering wheel steady. This occurs consistently in 4th gear between 3200 and 3700 rpm. I have an “A” type overdrive and 3.7:1 rear axel. Both the O/D and speedo are currently disconnected, so I can't be exact about the speed in mph. Let's just say between 60 - 70 mph. This is not a good speed to have a bad vibration. The vibration starts rather suddenly and disappears when speed increases to maybe 72-75 mph

We have pretty much eliminated the front suspension. Athough the rubber has not been replaced recently, everything is in fairly good condition. There is no unusual slop in any of the suspension. The steering rack is new as are the inner and outer tie-rod ends. The flexible steering column coupling is in bad shape and needs to be replaced as well as the upper and lower steering column bushings. This fact, i am sure is amplifing the symptoms.

We also checked the run-out on each AR wheel and they are all at about 0.020 axial.

It has been recommended that I get the wheels/tires balanced. I am running BF Goodrich, Silvertown Red Lines, 205/65 R15’s mounted on American Racing Silverstones. I took the tires mounted on the wheels to a tire shop today. They put the wheels/tires on their Hunter Engineering RoadForce machine. This balances the tires while simulating the force of the road pushing against the tire. See https://www.gsp9700.com/pub/features/how.cfm

I was told that they were able to balance all of the tires but that the RoadForce machine indicates that two of the four tires are out of specification.

Here are the results, which I do not understand.

before after
LF .024 .016
LR .045 .035 out of spec.
RF .081 .076 out of spec.
RR .007 .001

Spec. = 0.026 or less.

I guess I have to live with this for now. Should I put the "best" two tires on the front and the other two on the rear??

Anyone understand what all of this means? I sure don't. :nonod:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
How's your warranty on those tires?

R

RonMacPherson

Like he said, roadforce balancing, actually presses the tread down on rollers, so that if there is a tread or carcass anomaly that is small, it can be balanced out. If it is large,(tread separation, for example, mislay, etc.) cannae do anything with it.

In the mid 80's Michelin and Firestone made a slew of tires for AHM(American Honda Motors) for the Acura Legend. A signifigant amount of them were not made properly.. Wasn't till we found a tire store with a roadforce balance machine that we were able to get the DSM to buy the tires back(I was a shop foreman at an Acura store then, and at that time tires were under auto manufacture warranty.