• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

productivity

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
This method may work: rise and shine, disconnect your internet and cable tv, stop reading all the productivity books, and actually do something worthwhile.

:angel:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ya know - I was going to comment that this thread has evolved away from ~humor~. But I gotta admit that most attempts we make to become more productive have usually been pretty laughable... :smirk:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Write a book? Don't have the time! But here's what B. Franklin wrote in his autobiography:

Final-Ben-Franklin-Schedule.jpg

(Basil - what the heck are you doing on BCF at 4am???)

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Write a book? Don't have the time! But here's what B. Franklin wrote in his autobiography:

(Basil - what the heck are you doing on BCF at 4am???)

Iโ€™m up reviewing curriculum for a new NAMI Program that we are helping develop in which Family members and Peers provide a panel discussion (tell our stories) to police as part of their crisis intervention training. We are developing the training program to train the people who will be part of the panels. Weโ€™ve been doing this for a while here in NM and NAMI wants to develop it into a national signature program. Now that Iโ€™m โ€œretiredโ€ NAMI has become a full-time job.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
In that case, I think you're more productive than most of us!
Bravo.

Keeps me out of trouble. Weโ€™re conducting our first training of about 25 people in just a couple weeks. Lots to do between now and then to prepare.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I found Covey pretty insightful but you know the old saying...different strokes. :cool-new:

I actually have found Covey insightful as well.

Over the last couple of years, I have started to cull my library. (full disclosure most ministers are addicted to books and, relatively speaking my library is no where near what many of my colleagues have) That said, I started by assuming that I would start at the top left shelf, take down a book, review it, decide whether to keep it. After three years it was clear that that wasn't going to happen.

So, new and more effective method. I take all the books on one topic - leadership/ preaching/ stewardship - whatever, and put them all on the desk. I then establish which of the two or at the most three voices I am interested in listening to and the rest go whether or not I like them - or have even read the actual books. This has been much much more fruitful.

One of the challenges I have in my work (consulting and leadership training among other things) is that people just keep going to another and another book and not actually working on the issue. So, recently, I have started including the admonition to stop reading more and more and more as it just makes people crazy. In fact, my instruction is increasingly to get a hobby or an outside interest rather than obsessing.

I have been reading/using/interacting with leadership material since I was ordained in the 80's and hardly any of it has stood the test of time. A few - Covey/ Collins/ Various ancient Chinese generals but, others, not so much, and, as mentioned the willingness of others to accept leadership advice (or any other advice) uncritically is astonishing.

And don't even get me started on "Star" leaders who are later disgraced. :grin:

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And, boss, it has been said a 100 times, good on you for the NAMI work. It is great to see your passion and care and your willingness to engage at an organizational level. This both in terms of your willingness to have others benefit from your knowledge and experience but also in turning your -difficult I am sure - personal experience into hope rather than despair. :thumbsup:

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
obtw,

Walt, I hope it didn't come across snarky when I asked about Sun Tzu. It wasn't meant to.

My apologies if it sounded that way.

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
...... the willingness of others to accept leadership advice (or any other advice) uncritically is astonishing.

And don't even get me started on "Star" leaders who are later disgraced. :grin:
I think it's all the business world's equivalent of those celebrity magazines by the checkout counter at the supermarket.

How should I spend millions of dollars of shareholders' money while putting my employees' livelihood on the line? Enquiring minds want to know!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
John-Peter "One of the challenges I have in my work (consulting and leadership training among other things) is that people just keep going to another and another book and not actually working on the issue ... the willingness of others to accept leadership advice (or any other advice) uncritically is astonishing."

Bingo!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Walt, I hope it didn't come across snarky when I asked about Sun Tzu. It wasn't meant to.

My apologies if it sounded that way."

No worries. While I understand the connection between Sun Tzu and anything competitive I am generally amused by business guys who would rather think of themselves as generals and read Clausewitz rather than Holmstrom.