• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

productivity

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Speaking of questionable change reminds me of an old Army experience, a true story. For some reason our first sergeant decided the whole battery had to refinish our M1 carbines. He wanted them blonde! We have to sand off all the old oil finish and were not allowed to cover them with anything except furniture paste wax. Well not long later there was a major troop inspection (a pretty common thing in the Army, of course). The inspecting general took one quick look at the lineup of fine looking soldiers and immediately demanded to know "Who the f... destroyed all these weapons?" The next day we had a new top kick.

Country flag
Have a younger brother who's a vocal music teacher at a high school. Kids love him, they regularly get awards for performances and in fact will be in the local city paper in a couple weeks for 30 years of doing winter madrigal performances as a primary fundraiser for the department. Yet still has to find a way to document in numbers terms the improvement of each student through the year as well a document his use of a tablet and other tools in his daily classes. Not to mention as the only vocal teacher in the school, has to document monthly staff meeting with himself... Music of course is much more subjective than say math when it comes to grading and justifying improvement over the course of a year so I wonder sometimes how he manages it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Back in the early '80s I was tasked by our school board to evaluate our district wide testing programs.

Oh, the stories I could tell.

In sum: people in high positions often make decisions on issues after doing little or no investigation.

yeesh

I think that is everywhere. Partly so that each successive bureautechnocrat can mark their territory. But, many of these organizations have been heavily politicized. Getting elected on a "more accountability/ higher standards/ fix the problem/ reduce the funding platform" (any party any country) is like shooting fish in a barrel. This combined with the old maxim - "For every complicated problem there is a simple answer - and it's the wrong one."

I might also say that in many (most? all?) organizations there is the perception (in a very very complicated world) that if we can measure it we can control it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
.... I might also say that in many (most? all?) organizations there is the perception (in a very very complicated world) that if we can measure it we can control it.
That would be the result of [FONT=Arial, sans-serif]W. Edwards Deming. We went through his 14 quality points in the Navy. When one of the JOs put up a slide to give a presentation on Demming's 14 points at a West Coast meeting, he only had 13 listed. [/FONT]

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That would be the result of W. Edwards Deming. We went through his 14 quality points in the Navy. When one of the JOs put up a slide to give a presentation on Demming's 14 points at a West Coast meeting, he only had 13 listed.

Love it!

[video=youtube;7WJXHY2OXGE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=7WJXHY2OXGE[/video]

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
....I might also say that in many (most? all?) organizations there is the perception (in a very very complicated world) that if we can measure it we can control it.

... one of the JOs put up a slide to give a presentation on Demming's 14 points at a West Coast meeting, he only had 13 listed.
:D Doh!

You wouldn't happen to remember which one he left out?

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
:encouragement:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Required reading in OTS."

That makes sense. I think it makes less sense for business folk.

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
.... I think it makes less sense for business folk.

Have you read Sun Tzu?

I think that anybody involved in any competitive enterprise can learn a lot from the master of the ultimate form of competition.

"Never venture, never win!"

"Hence a commander who advances without any thought of winning personal fame and withdraws in spite of certain punishment, whose only concern is to protect his people and promote the interests of his ruler, is the nation's treasure."

"The greatest victory is that which requires no battle."

"Rewards for good service should not be deferred a single day."

"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity"

"It is easy to love your friend, but sometimes the hardest lesson to learn is to love your enemy."

- Sun Tzu

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Have you read Sun Tzu?

I think that anybody involved in any competitive enterprise can learn a lot from the master of the ultimate form of competition.

"Never venture, never win!"

"Hence a commander who advances without any thought of winning personal fame and withdraws in spite of certain punishment, whose only concern is to protect his people and promote the interests of his ruler, is the nation's treasure."

"The greatest victory is that which requires no battle."

"Rewards for good service should not be deferred a single day."

"In the midst of chaos, there is also opportunity"

"It is easy to love your friend, but sometimes the hardest lesson to learn is to love your enemy."

- Sun Tzu

Or The Book of Five Rings, by Miyamoto Musashi? All about samurai warriors, but SOOO much more. Too many gems to quote, but one of my favorites: โ€œRespect Buddha and the gods without counting on their help.โ€

Hmmm... time to pick it up and read it again!

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
So much of this thread rings true. School testing or New programs. The latest business plan that requires the top management team to meet in Los Vegas or Miami when the company is in Richmond VA.

My wife is a kindergarten teacher and seems to spend as much time in meetings as she does in the classroom.
A couple of years ago we were at the school during summer break and the hallways were lined with pallets of books. The NEW program that was being introduced that year. The New program had been tried and dumped about 6 years before but they had a new Principal now who wanted to make a difference. We dumped about 2 55 gallon trash bags full of last years material. So much waste.

David

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A local school district decided - in its Great Wisdom - to implement a special reading program for elementary age kids.

Program cost several million dollars: special books to read, computerized diagnosis and testing, teacher training). The program outline: have kids' parents read to them one hour a night from the special books.

I suggested they try the same approach in half the students *without* buying the million dollar program.

Result: kids using the special program for three years advanced three years in reading skills. (wow!)
But the kids using random books of their own choice advanced four years.

Reason: it was the reading with the parents - not the reading of the expensive books - that did the trick.

Of course, administrators don't want to look un-needed, so they often recommend the latest thing to show they're earning their salaries.

oy

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Have you read Sun Tzu?"

A couple of times, and I agree that you can glean a lot of good out of the book.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
.........PS - that new director was removed from his position several years later, for poor leadership and for spending funds on parties, travel, office furniture, luxury retreats, and "friends".
You forgot to add spending funds on "cheese"-- he turned out to be the rat.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Here's another that I read years ago and have just started re-reading.

7 habits.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Enough of this productivity. I'm retired. I'm enjoying being non-productive. :jester:

better that than reproductive. :devilgrin:

I just rid of the last of my Covey books - partly because David Allen (Getting things Done ) is my newer go to - and partly because he reminds his readers that the whole Covey thing makes life even more complicated - and a larger "to do."

Basil

Administrator
Boss
better that than reproductive. :devilgrin:

I just rid of the last of my Covey books - partly because David Allen (Getting things Done ) is my newer go to - and partly because he reminds his readers that the whole Covey thing makes life even more complicated - and a larger "to do."

I found Covey pretty insightful but you know the old saying...different strokes. :cool-new:

Another good book (I liked it) aimed more at just "getting things done" is this one, by Brian Tracy.

Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 7.35.43 PM.jpg