• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Photos of my outer sill repair

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Decide since my $500.00 Midget was half way ready for the road as a daily driver I would get back on the Wifes Bugeye

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I had already stripped the metal from the car last winter during the spring box repair. This photo shows the wire loom I have place to run between the sills. I got the wire loom from NAPA and figured out a maxium of 8 wires would fit in the openings alowed. So I placed 8 wires in the loom and then I wrapped loom with Blsck tape. I wanted as many wires as possible to the rear. Tailights, brake light,left/right signal,gas gauge,fuel pump. this leaves me with two extra wires should I need them

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight

I made alot of the pieces that supported the rear corner of outer sill. This area as in many Bugeyes was completly rusted out. so I just tried to make the panel so they will look like originals.

The green stuff you are seeing is dynoglass. after I grind the welds smooth a apply a light coat to fill in all the pitts and such. Plus dynoglass is water proof. I wil let it dry for day then come back sand down and apply light skim coat of bondo

OP
M

mightymidget

Jedi Knight

I still need to repair the lower rear wing extention. Just have a hard time buying the part ($189.00. I have tried to make it but has many curves to it. I will try again,

The outer sills and end extentions I got from Moss where excellent

markberry

Jedi Trainee
mightymidget said:

I still need to repair the lower rear wing extention. Just have a hard time buying the part ($189.00. I have tried to make it but has many curves to it. I will try again,

The outer sills and end extentions I got from Moss where excellent

I made mine...it really wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I traced the two curves(one for the wheel well arch and the other bottom curve under the panel)onto cardboard then transferred those onto a piece of 1/8" steel sheet. Then I cut and ground those curves into the sheet and used it as a "bucking block" to fold the new sheet metal up around. now you're left with a flat piece of sheet metal with the two curved flanges bent into it. next you just need to beat the compound curve into the panel with a shot bag and mallets. this photo shows the side I changed the wheel arch on also, so it does'nt show the fabricated curve on the wheel arch that I made on the other side. but you get the idea. I made the inner closeout panel the same way. this web site has some good photos of the technique I'm describing. https://www.cardomain.com/ride/2203663

Attachments

• 23078.jpg
    23078.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 535

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
pretty impressive all!

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
looking good, fabricating your own panels is a real art in itself - nice work !

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Boy now we know who the experts are. Well done.

HAN8L1965

Jedi Warrior
I like the idea of putting that wire loom inside the sill, wish I had thought of that. It is tuff to put behind the inside covers if you add wires. Nice job.

Mark