• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Old Timer

Winston

Jedi Trainee
It's been awhile, I hope all's well with your LBC.

I've asked several I trust and now I'm reaching out to you folks. (I know you're safety minded).

I need to get under the TR4a for an extended period of time safely.

I really can't afford a lift, and the guy's at my Garage are not keen to allow me to put her up on their lift.

I don't weld so I can't build a rig or believe me I would!

Any safe thoughts?

Thanks

Winston

Last edited:

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Jack Stands? Really, just use some common sense in where you place them should be fine, push on the car from a few sides after you have it all set up to make sure it is stable.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Harbor Freight sells some 6 ton jack stands that seem pretty safe to me, if used properly. The frame is welded, the jaw is cast iron, and obviously they are way over-rated for holding up a TR. I've had my old motorhome on top of them, and they showed no signs of distress. They also extend to 24", so there is enough room to work under the car. If you need more room, you can make simple platforms from crossed 2x4s to make them taller.

Of course, depending on what you have for a jack, it may take multiple lifts to get the car that high; and you may need to add some sort of spacer for the last lift.

To double-check, once the car is up on the stands, grab it and try to move it. If it doesn't feel solid, adjust the stands as necessary until it is.

Oops, forgot the link. They are even on sale at the moment!
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-steel-jack-stands-61197.html

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I don't know what the British car club scene is in Des Moines, but in Tucson our club has garage days several times a year at a member's garage that has a lift. Members sign up in advance for time on the lift -- no major projects, clean up after yourself and at the end of the day any non-runners get pushed to the curb.

It's a great chance for members to take care of lube jobs, exhaust system adjustments, gearbox oil changes or just check things out under there.

Failing that - yeah, good jack stands are the way to go, lots of pros use them. I always leave the jack itself in place (if it isn't in the way) and if the road wheels are off I slide them under the frame (just for luck).

When I'm working in the garage my wife pops in every half hour or so just to say 'Hi' -- but I know she's really checking to see if anything bad has happened. Good to have someone worrying about you.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
When I'm working in the garage my wife pops in every half hour or so just to say 'Hi' -- but I know she's really checking to see if anything bad has happened. Good to have someone worrying about you.

For me it sort of depends on the project, if she hears a lot of pounding and swearing she has learned it is best to stay away...

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
One more precaution that you may be able to use if the tires are left on the car you can slip the spare tire under a wheel as an additional safety item. But like the others have said good jack stands plus leaving the jack under the car should provide enough margin of safety.
charley

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
At one point I had a set of ramps. The car was too low to run up the ramps but I would jack it up and put the ramps under the wheels. Always felt very secure with that setup. I even raised the other end on jack stands and still felt secure. Been thinking about buying another set. Jack stands seem OK but the relatively small tripod base always gives me room for concern. Also, just remember that the higher you go the less stability you will have.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Winston , If your 4 is a solid axle. It even makes it easier

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Winston , If your 4 is a solid axle. It even makes it easier
Had the same thought, jackstands always seem to fit sturdy and snug under a live rear axle, but if you look at the bottom of Winston's post it says "IRS"

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Under NO conditions ever use a cinder block. Never. I repeat - never. Good solid jack stands are the way to go and if possible, I leave the jack under the chassis as well. A guy near me got killed working under a deSoto when it fell on him. Another word of advice from an 80-year old. Beware of springs - any kind of springs, small, large. Know what you're doing and what the spring will do when you release the tension.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Under NO conditions ever use a cinder block.
Amen !

I was lucky, not under the car at the time. But there was no impact involved, no warning of any sort, it just crumbled to gravel instantly.

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
It depends on what I am doing.

If the wheels need to come off I use my jack stands, but if I can leave the wheels on for the job I am doing then I use my ramps.

I friend of mine developed the plastic Rhino Ramps years ago then sold the manufacturing rights and when they had them tested they exceeded the recommended maximum weight limit by several time. Also, a TR4 is no where near the max recommended weight for the ramps. They lift the car approximately 8 inches and work from both the front or back on a TR4.

I have also used both on occasions. I will drive the back wheels up onto the ramps then jack the front end up and put it on the jack stands. By setting the emergency brake prior to jacking up the front end, the car seems a lot more stable then when I use jack stands on all four corners.

Vila
1933 Chevrolet
1962 Triumph TR4
1984 BMW 633 CSi

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Thanks, Mike. I didn't have a photo handy. Here's a direct link to one of them.

busch-0336L.jpg

OP
W

Winston

Jedi Trainee
Thanx to all who chimed in, I've not yet put her in the air but have decided 4 new Heavy Duty jackstands with pins versus notched posts.