• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

okay healey buffs - I need some opinions here

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
I finally got around to taking some shots of a BJ7 (BJ7L26189 to be exact)that is sitting in a breezeway near me.

It is a 63-63 Mark II car with 55000 miles on it. I had serviced the car in a previous life and the owner called me after I had moved to Tallahassee in the eighties. He had found that he had a life threatening illness and knew that he was going to out of commission for a time and wanted to put the car to bed for the duration. I told him how to do it and he did as I said. There was one failing though, he didn't actually garage the thing and it has set undisturbed for these 22 years in a covered but open breezeway beside his house. The tires are flat and worse and the engine has apparently frozen to some degree or another, but the "bones" of the car are still just as he parked it. I have uploaded the pictures that I took this morning to my Photobucket site and would like for anyone with better current knowledge of 3000s than I to give me their opinion on the situation. The car is jambed up against a wall to its right so pictures down that side are scarce but I tried to get the usual shots elsewhere to show the deterioration as I could see it. The floors seem to be fine but the rockers, dog legs and lower front fenders have a bit of tin worm work to be done. It isn't as bad as MANY Bs that I have seen but it is there none the less. I shot the tops of the front fenders and you might be able to see that there is a thin skim pf filler flaking off on the outside panel of both. I'll let you look at the rest of the stuff for yourself.

My intent here is to get a reasonably accurate idea of what you think that the fellow is in for if he wants to do a decent road resto. I have my thoughts but I would very much like to hear from anyone else too. I have in the back of my mind the possibility of buying the car and either fixing it up for myself or re-selling it one way or another. Opinions as to the value of the car in its present state are anticipated.

As usual I would appreciate any and all suggestions, comments, opinions, and donations of large amounts of cash or beer.

Here is the link to the album. As usual, the initial pictures are a bit small but if you click directly on each one it will become large enough to see details better.

https://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c121/twigworker/albert/

EDIT: More verbiage...I am pretty familiar with the pros and cons of owning one of these beasts. I have cooked my share of smelly dogs in the foot wells and already know that a resto on one will cost either or both a small fortune or a lot of grief.

I looked at one recently that was about as well done as anyone could ask for and the asking price right out of the resto shop was $60000.

I guess that what I really want here is a better idea of what the thing is worth sitting as it is.

The owner just called me and it was decided that he didn't really want to get involved with a redo and just wants to sell the thing. I don't think that I am up to doing it either so I guess we are fishing for a base value.

Jack

TomFromStLouis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have no restoration experience, but I do follow Healey prices fairly closely. It is a rare and rust free resto candidate that sells for more than $10,000 today. At a guess, half that amount would be the ballpark for your deal; it actually looks fairly complete and thus a pretty good candidate. Heck, even the top/hood looks usable.

Was it originally red? What's with the blue paint? Maybe that panel is not original?

OP
T

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Probably was red as that is what is visible under the dash and in some obscure nooks, but it has been BRG for as long as I can remember, close to 37 years.

Jack

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What's a 'road restoration'??? is that like a rolling restoration? or a restoration to 'driver' level? The car does appear to be complete. If I was in the market for a restorable BJ8, I would pay between $5k-$7k ...multiplied by 10+ in resto costs and I'd probably have one fine Austin Healey.

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
nevets said:
What's a 'road restoration'??? is that like a rolling restoration? or a restoration to 'driver' level? The car does appear to be complete. If I was in the market for a restorable BJ8, I would pay between $5k-$7k ...multiplied by 10+ in resto costs and I'd probably have one fine Austin Healey.

DITTO

I think you might spend a minimum of $30k, if you do a considerable amount (most) of work yourself. $50-$60k of labor and material. (When does any project stay on budget?)

My guess is the car is worth $5k +/-, but folks have spent more on less.

Randy Harris

Jedi Warrior
Jack
The car has "potential". Everything seems to be there. But... she also has a lot of cancer. You're looking at a full on nut and bolt restoration to bring that puppy back. The engine bay looks as if there was a fire in there. The sills and doors are nasty. Given that a complete restoration of a car like this would cost more than the car will be worth upon completion, it only makes sense to buy this Healey if you are doing the vast majority of the work yourself, or if the financial aspect of the restoration is secondary to ownership and enjoyment.
Personally, I'd walk from a project like that - but then I've had my share of "projects".
Good luck.
Randy
'66 BJ8

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jack,
I am in the middle of a restoration of a 64 BJ8 which looked similar in rust to yours. So far I am into the car about $25K (including $7K purchasing price)with everything purchased except for paint. I do all my own work so I am looking at about 2 years and probably $28K total costs. I am retired so 2 years means just about everyday! Hope this helps and have a good day!

John