• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Nial - an A30/35?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
It's 1567 miles away from my house (one way).....and we already have two MGs plus two race cars and an airplane (plus three "normal" cars). She'll kill me if I take off for a few days to pick up *another* car.

But I've been watching this one for the last few day anyway. :jester:

<span style="font-size: 8pt"> It's *exactly* what I'm looking for...and thanks of the heads up! (can I store it at your house?) :laugh: </span>

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
<span style="font-size: 8pt"> It's *exactly* what I'm looking for...and thanks of the heads up! (can I store it at your house?) :laugh: </span>

No problem (of course my wife is out of town) - just another 1000 miles from there to here and 500 or so to your place - that's an epic road trip - not to mention a bit of a commute to nip out and work on it for a couple of hours

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Its definitely an A35, probably 1958. The absence of the rear glass will be a problem. The rust at the rear valence is no worse than typical. The crucial front grill rib and badge are there as the instrument cluster. They benefit greatly from Spridget front discs which fit perfectly. The power train is exactly that of the 948 bugeye, but with a really crappy Zenith carb. Any Spridget carb(s) make a better replacement.
I popped a 1275 and ribcase in mine and it goes like stink.

This one looks good for the price and will make a fun car. Good luck.

Glen Byrns
(I have some extra parts if interested.)

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
You asked for it!

https://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t48/Glen_B/

Barn stored 30 years, (yes! my only barn find).
Media blasted, epoxy primered at the blaster.
1275cc A-series, ribcase, 3.9 RE, spridget discs, loud stereo and aftermarket heater, otherwise original.
For those of you that don't know, this is the car that provided the power train for the newly designed Austin Healey Sprite in 1958. Most parts are Spridget parts.

"Autofurbish" and "Bull Motif" are the A30/35 specific parts suppliers. (as well as Scott's Old Auto Rubber of Australia)

I'm putting the original(#-match) 948 back in this summer to make a Prius-mileage commuter for the winter.

Glen Byrns

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sweet! I know Nial wants his to race - since he already has the 1275's etc - so if anyone has leads.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Nice Glen! (and thanks for the year/model info).

I was thinking of something like your color blue or a Dove Grey.

I am hoping to do something like ~THIS~ with the one I eventually find (this is Rae Davis car in the UK)

I'd hate to bodge up a nice one with roll bars and such, so a "project level" car would be more suitable.
The missing rear glass would be no big deal since I could fit a piece of Lexan in there. Just wishing I could find one a bit closer to NJ.
As you can imagine, I have already enough spare Spridget parts to do the engine/trans/brakes/etc (which is part of the reason this would be so appealing...plus I love the way they look).

By the way, here's the first car I ever owned (age 16), so you can probably see why I like old Austins (it's my "inner child" speaking :laugh: ).

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Cars/nial_a40-2.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Cars/nial_a40-3.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/Cars/nial_a40-4.jpg

Glen_B

Jedi Trainee
Nial,

That video was the main reason I kept the car and decided to do the mods I did.

Like you, I wanted THAT car minus the track specific stuff. A street sleeper. Not apparent in the pics is the 1.5" drop at all four corners via rear spring blocks and front pan spacers.
Its so much fun to surprise modern car drivers with its unexpected speed and cornering.

Say Nial, in light of your first car......seen this one?

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/car/658237475.html

I'm in the area and could check it out for you.

Glen

bugimike

Yoda
Great old pix Nial!! :thumbsup: Boy, I really miss "playin' in the Pineys!" :devilgrin: :cheers:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I love that video - Mr Bean was also back in the pack in his MK? Jag

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
<span style="text-decoration: underline">Glen:</span>
I've actually been able to find a few A40s here on the east coast.
But you can't make them handle like an A30/35 and I want something that'll at least keep pace with a TD or similar.

If that were an A35 in that condition and price, it would be worth considering....

<span style="text-decoration: underline">Mike:</span>
Many of the old "firelanes" are still there. We are selling my folk's house in Jackson (hopefully, this week) and there are still miles and miles of firelanes behind their old house. Me and my brothers still ride our motorcycles on them.

By the way, if you have not seen this, ~HERE~ are some of my old, Jersey car pictures (including my old Bugeye).

<span style="text-decoration: underline">John-Peter</span> It's funny that Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean) is such a big vintage guy...I always hear about him around the vintage racers.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Nial,
I don't know what' cooler. The old pictures or the captions you put with them. What a rich history of British cars. I feel like I missed something messing with Fords for the first 35 years of my life. I'm enjoying my Midget more than any of the Mustangs I've had..Well except the first one since that coincided with high school...had a lot of fun in that car.
JC

bugimike

Yoda
Nial, we used to rally on a lot of those old "firelanes"! I'll never forget the time during an NQP rally we got lost at 2 am and wandered into a "restricted" area on Ft. Dix. Being low on fuel we stopped to recon, and seeing headlights down the road walked up to get directions only to walk up on another rallyer trying to explain why they were there to a couple of MPs. We loomed out of the darkness to wind up looking down the barrels of a couple of .45s with surprized MPs standing behind them!!

Those pictures of New Egypt brought back some pleasant old memories too! I had a friend name Mike Parker who used to run an Austin America mini-stocker there! :thumbsup: