• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New sedan - what would you choose?

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Had dinner with a cousin tonight - age 88. Just bought a 2018 Hyundai Sonata - white. Looks pretty good. What sold him? 10-year warranty. Now there's an optimist.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Had dinner with a cousin tonight - age 88. Just bought a 2018 Hyundai Sonata - white. Looks pretty good. What sold him? 10-year warranty. Now there's an optimist.

My brother in law's aunt bought lottery tickets until the day she dies but only even "cash for life" :rolleyes:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag

:applause: I'm with that gent, we have to think positive and keep moving! :encouragement:

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
And I still buy green bananas.

Konrod

Slightly off tiopic, but I still don't understand why there aren't more diesel cars in the US. You talk about gas mileage, diesel is way better and for long haul driving a turbo diesel is way more relaxing than petrol, my Jag XF does 90 mph at 1500m rpm, with no downside in refinement, and modern diesels don't produce black smoke . The sedans you are discussing are not there to set pulses racing, but to be easy to drive and relatively economical, so why isn't diesel an option?

Not having a go, just wondered.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Slightly off tiopic, but I still don't understand why there aren't more diesel cars in the US. You talk about gas mileage, diesel is way better and for long haul driving a turbo diesel is way more relaxing than petrol, my Jag XF does 90 mph at 1500m rpm, with no downside in refinement, and modern diesels don't produce black smoke . The sedans you are discussing are not there to set pulses racing, but to be easy to drive and relatively economical, so why isn't diesel an option?

Not having a go, just wondered.

gas is cheap - and gas engines perceived as more powerful.

As well most of the diesels available in europe/UK are not options here - about the only diesels available in cars are VW & Mercedes (and after the scandal I don't think VW for now.) and SUVs BMW/ Mercedes/ Audi but I don't think there is a Japanese or domestic diesel sedan otherwise available - I have always assumed that the market is so small that it isn't worth getting the engine compliant with North American standards - sad, I was drooling at the options we witnessed in Spain!

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
I think part of the problem was the lack of quality diesel in the US. The injector nozzles for the modern European diesels could not cope with the crap.

Please correct me if I am wrong... but I thought this was an issue until about mid-1990's?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I think part of the problem was the lack of quality diesel in the US. The injector nozzles for the modern European diesels could not cope with the crap.

Please correct me if I am wrong... but I thought this was an issue until about mid-1990's?

Fuel quality can be a problem, especially if you buy from a corner station instead of a truck stop. I remember a friend of mine complaining that the repair bill for his diesel Blazer was over $500 just because he got a tank full of wet fuel. Not to mention the hassle of having it towed in, and having to rent a car until it could be fixed.

As noted, diesels have a reputation for being smelly, loud, slow, expensive to buy and expensive to fix. Not necessarily true now, but certainly true in the past. (A friend of mine described his Audi 5000 diesel as a "blender full of marbles" on a cold morning.) Fuel is significantly more expensive (around 10% more than gasoline/petrol due in large part to clean air regulations that govern things like sulfur content and heavy fractions) and currently, in order to meet emission standards, you also have to purchase "diesel exhaust fluid" (aka DEF, aka "cat (urine)"). And frankly, most people are simply not enticed by long life; the average new car buyer will only keep it for 4 years.

The case is not helped by idiots like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wfzUAF2X5s

I've driven some (expensive) diesel cars in Europe, and the experience is completely different. Still not likely I'd ever buy one for myself; although I understand you can get a bargain on a used "cheater" these days.

BTW, "Dieselgate" is not just limited to VW in America. From what I've been reading, regulators are finding that many other manufacturers have been selling cars that don't meet standards, even in Europe.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_emissions_scandal

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Update: it'll be mine on Monday. A 2018 Nissan Altima 2.5SV sedan, with Tech Package.

a7bc44c4a33c1456540528d268a4fa18.png

2018-nissan-altima-sedan-interior-seating-beige-leather-original.jpg

It was a toss-up between this and the Lamborghini Aventador. Decided I liked the Nissan cup holders better.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
My mechanic tells me that if everyone drove a Nissan he would be out of business - excellent choice!