• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New sedan - what would you choose?

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mazda 6 - had forgotten that. I drove Mazdas from the late 1980s until ten years ago. Can't remember why I switched to Nissan, but I think it was a negative Consumer Reports report on the 2010 Mazda sedans. Anyway, the Mazda 6 is now on my possible's list.

Thanks.
Tom M.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Mazda 6 - had forgotten that. I drove Mazdas from the late 1980s until ten years ago. Can't remember why I switched to Nissan, but I think it was a negative Consumer Reports report on the 2010 Mazda sedans. Anyway, the Mazda 6 is now on my possible's list.

Thanks.
Tom M.

Just saw a very pretty Made 6 sitting in front of Costco (One of the promo cars they often showcase in the front of the store). $30k if I recall. Very nice looking car!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
hmmm - 2018 Mazda 6, turbo four cylinder at 227hp, in my price range, hmmmm

t9yppdd1nqznfvsb0bxj.jpg

hmmmm

signature.jpg

hmmm

Mazda-CX-9-Turbocharged-SKYACTIV-G-2.5T-1024x768.png

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
You can't go wrong with a Camry. They drive really nicely and are pretty bulletproof. You might get more bang for the buck with a Nissan Altima. I bought a 2015 Altima with the four cylinder when my wife wrecked her Corolla. The Altima gets the same gas mileage that the smaller Corolla did, and has an insane cruising range. My parents own a Camry from the same year, and it is the better handling and driving car.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

Thanks.
Tom M.

Gotta say I have no plans to own a Mazda again.

My Mazda 6 had lots of zoom zoom but even more rust and the engine blew.

My Mom's Mazda - more rust than car

My cousin's Mazda 5 - 2 engines and rust

My Sister's Mazda 5 - traded with a useless engine

Camry is always a god choice - for a Connecticut Yankee (frugal) I might consider the Hyundai Sonata or the Kia Optima - and if you are really feeling it look at a Kia Stinger.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Brooklands

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My son's father-in-law had nothing but trouble with his British Mazda 6, and finally gave up on it. I am afraid with any brand it is the luck of the draw. I check Consumer Reports mostly for reliability as a factor, but not just that. I had considered Mazda when I decided to go with the Impreza.

0000aaa.png

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
In googling "mazda corrosion", I found a link to NHTSA reports. Wow - I'd forgotten that they keep individual reports from owners and mechanics. Great source for ballpark comparisons of problems. Example:

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2009/TOYOTA/CAMRY/4%2520DR/FWD#safety-ratings-frontal

You can enter just about any year, make, model, and get summary reports as well as individual details.

Some brain work is required, as "65 loose dome light switches" certainly doesn't equate to "65 engine explosions"!

TM

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Some brain work is required, as "65 loose dome light switches" certainly doesn't equate to "65 engine explosions"!

TM

But what if that dome light fall off on your head, startles you, and you go careening into a canyon like Chevy Chase in Vacation? :scared:

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
But what if that dome light fall off on your head, startles you, and you go careening into a canyon like Chevy Chase in Vacation? :scared:

No problem! Sue the manufacturer of the screws which hold the plastic bezel over the light bracket which holds the plastic bulb socket!

(The original Vacation movie was *hysterical*. Aunt Edna dies, gets tied onto the car's roof. Car gets "honky lips" painted on the side. Chase asks how much will a repair cost, mechanic says "How much ya got ...?". Trooper sees empty leash tied to bumper, says "poor little guy, probably kept up with you for a mile or two." Great movie.)

Basil

Administrator
Boss
No problem! Sue the manufacturer of the screws which hold the plastic bezel over the light bracket which holds the plastic bulb socket!

(The original Vacation movie was *hysterical*. Aunt Edna dies, gets tied onto the car's roof. Car gets "honky lips" painted on the side. Chase asks how much will a repair cost, mechanic says "How much ya got ...?". Trooper sees empty leash tied to bumper, says "poor little guy, probably kept up with you for a mile or two." Great movie.)

I own that movie - it's in my iTunes collection.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Golf Alltrack? (I know you said "sedan"...)

Taller than a regular Golf, 4-wheel drive, and that oh-so-cool plastic cladding to make it look tough. (OK, I don't like the cladding one bit...) But the AWD might be good in the NE winters. You can get a manual transmission, if you are the shifty type. 6-year / 72k mile warranty (in part to compensate for dieselgate).

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I haven't heard anything good about the newer Volkswagens.

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Golf Alltrack? (I know you said "sedan"...)

Taller than a regular Golf, 4-wheel drive, and that oh-so-cool plastic cladding to make it look tough. (OK, I don't like the cladding one bit...) But the AWD might be good in the NE winters. You can get a manual transmission, if you are the shifty type. 6-year / 72k mile warranty (in part to compensate for dieselgate).

I had a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen -- the predecessor to the Golf Alltrack. Never again. Throughout my entire ownership, the car never made it through a 10,000 mile maintenance cycle without an unscheduled visit to the dealer for one problem or another. The Diesel Emissions cheating scandal and the resultant buyback was an absolute godsend. I basically got to drive a car for 5 years and over 100,000 miles for 6k. I was able to parlay that into a 2015 Nissan Rogue that has less than 4,000 miles on it with less than 3k out of pocket after the buyback...and I have never looked back. I definitely lost out in the gas mileage department, but my goodness what I've gained in reliability and just better construction. And, I picked up all wheel drive and a far larger cargo carrying capacity.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Google any car and I'll bet the naysayers equal the lovers. Same with cameras. "What do you expect from a Nikon fanboy". Same with pizza. Same with restaurants. Check out auto dealers. "Incompetent bunch of crooks..." "Best car buying experience I ever had. Sean made it easy."Same with anything. "POS! I wouldn't own another if..." "Best car I've ever owned..."

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
"Google any car and I'll bet the naysayers equal the lovers"

That's for sure. But I figure BCF members are more critical and detail-oriented than the run of the mill "Complete this survey" or "online complaint site" population.

TM

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
JP - I'd never heard of unusual rust problems on Mazdas. Very interesting. Is that typical of other cars in the Toronto area?

Also, was it undercarriage rust from road chemicals, or ...?

Note: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2017/07/mazda-seems-rust-never-sleeps/

Thanks.
Tom M.

It doesn't seem as bad with newer cars (yet?) all the ones I have seen start rusting around the rear wheel wells.

In terms of German cars, while SWMBO loves her Mini and we have a 16 year old Beetle that keeps plugging away I think my Kia is more reliable - and cheaper!

a few years ago they did a survey in Germany and asked

what is the best car in the world.

the answer: Audi, Mercedes, VW and BMW

what is the worst?

Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Honda

what was the best car you ever owned?

Toyota, Nissan, Mazda, Honda

what was the worst?

Audi, Mercedes, VW, BMW

:grin:

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
That's for sure. But I figure BCF members are more critical and detail-oriented than the run of the mill "Complete this survey" or "online complaint site" population.

TM

Yes, we are car folks. But I would not trust any of us for advice on "find me a reliable car". We have an entire forum dedicated to keeping our cars running - and are happy when they run most of the time! :highly_amused:

In all seriousness, Asian cars tend to be the most reliable; Germans the least. (And Americans in the middle - although I would argue much closer to Asian reliability.) But, Europeans tend to put more technology in their cars, technology as it relates to driving and the engine (vs. neat infotainment systems - where the Europeans lag). As such, the trade off is driving pleasure and safety, at the expense of repair costs.