• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My Father's 70th Birthday Present Revealed

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Last night was my father's surprise 70th Birthday Party. My mother rented out his favorite local food spot, where he often drives his '29 Franklin for breakfast on the weekend. We had about 30 of his friends there, and he was shocked.

Right before dinner, my brother and I got up to give a 5 minute toast -- actually a series of lymricks that roasted him. After the end of toast, we gave him a card with one final lymrick to read in front of everyone:
[ QUOTE ]
For all the love you've showed us and mom
Live your dreams before you notice they're gone
We hold the keys to your heart
And we just hope it starts....(open card)
Enjoy your '64 Lotus Elan!

[/ QUOTE ]

I then dropped the keys into his hand. Joe and I thought he was going to pass out.

Right before the toast, I snuck out and moved the car in front of the place, so we walked him out, and all the friends followed. He got into the car, and he was crying, (as were a bunch of his friends--evidently big showings of gratitude for being such a great parent isn't so common anymore.)

In a million years, he never expected something like this...he looked at our mom and asked if she knew anything about it, but she didn't (when we dropped the keys into his hands you could hear her blurt out "oh my god!"...Only my brother, his wife, my wife and I were a part of it...We even hid the car from the kids.)

So, enough of the story, as I'm sure you want specifics (AND YES I ATTACHED A PICTURE!)
It's a '64 Series One (built in Feb of '64) with only 48K miles on the clock. Original northwest car (Tacoma,) and we found it about ten miles from my brother's place. It has been repainted once (as I understand, the Series One red paint basically would oxidize in less than three years from new.) Original frame with not a spec of rust.

It has a 4.55ish rear (the shortest rear offered that year,) and what the local Lotus restorer, Randall Fehr (who has maintained the car off and on for 10 years) says is the holy grail of transmissions -- a close-ratio box original to the car. The interior was redone about 1000 miles ago, and we had the water pump replaced with a bunch of other things. (Yes, the engine came out.) Randall Fehr did about a month's worth of work (since the car really hadn't been driven in five years or so,) in just two weeks!

The car has been lowered by one coil, as well.

Man that thing is dang fun. It corners completely flat, and the handling is so tight. The engine roars and is just a blast.

I stayed the night up at my parent's place with my wife and daughters, and today we all drove in it (even my brother, who isn't so great at driving a stick.) This car has even turned my non-car-guy brother into a believer.

So that's the story!

Attachments

• 196394-dadslotus.jpg
    196394-dadslotus.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 177

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
A lucky guy, your father. It looks like a beautiful car. You're right about the close-ratio box. I had one in my S3 and it was like using a toggle switch to shift - you just wish it from gear to gear.

Pretty quick off the line with a 4.55, I imagine.

Excellent gift! I've been wanting to get my Dad a 1953 "something" (since thats the year he was born)... It'd have to American though.
Been thinking a long time about it.
Whatcha gettin Mom next year?

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Luckily, my brother and I have a little over six years to plan for my mother's 70th.

Since the close-ratio box has a little taller first gear, I suppose it would be faster off the line with the normal tranny. It is very true, though, that the close-ratio box is the shortest throw four-speed on the planet. It is very positive and easy to shift.

My friend Fitz took a quick spin with me in the car today and his comment was that it was a one-finger shifter.

The clutch, though, is really hard to get right without ten minutes or so of driving. It engages right off the floor -- like a toggle switch!

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Great Sam!I love stories like this.
I would have been tempted to keep the Elan,& give him another car.

- Doug

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I've been wanting to get my Dad a 1953 "something" (since thats the year he was born)... It'd have to American though.

[/ QUOTE ]

A Corvette? Introduced 1953, same body style through '55. Only 300 or so in that first year- could be a little expensive....

1953 Studebaker Starlight Coupe?

Kaiser-Darrin?

Lots of interesting and odd things out there... just after the war....

Although, he really likes 1963/4 Ford Galaxy too...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Elans have what were called "bear-trap" clutches. Coupled (pun!) with the Roto-Flex short shafts it makes for an interesting first few launches: "Lotus Hop". Makes the occupants look like "bobble-head dolls." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Kenny,
You're not going to find a '53 Corvette for under $150,000, which is also probably around the going rate for a '53 Buick Skylark... so I'd focus on more reasonably priced vehicles.

At the high end of the market are things like the Jaguar XK120, but in the British world there's also the MG TD.

American cars aren't very interesting in this period, mostly because it's before the 1955 boom. My favorite high-production car in 1953 probably is the Hudson Hornet.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Very nice gift!
I'm going to start hinting to my kids how much I'd like a '51 MG-TD. ( my year )

A fellow I know raised his family partly in Hong Kong and they had a Sunbeam Alpine when they were there.
They didn't bring the car back to the States, and he has always missed that car.
When he retired a few years back, the kids bought an Alpine and had it painted to match the original car.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Excellent gift! I've been wanting to get my Dad a 1953 "something" (since thats the year he was born)... It'd have to American though.
Been thinking a long time about it....

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy. There was a roadster, built in good numbers with a SOHC engine, disk brakes, distinctive appearance, and a successful competition history at Sebring - and built in the US. They're not too expensive these days. They weren't made after about 1952, but your father will remember them. In fact, mention of it will probably get quite a reaction.

Anybody want to guess what it is? It shouldn't be very hard.

I haven't a clue John C.... Let us know! Sounds like "my" kind of car... Maybe a little moreso than My dad. He's a diehard Ford and Mopar guy... But most of the stuff he's driven and loved would be a couple'a bankrolls at Barrett Jackson. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

No, I couldn't afford a '53 vette, and if I could he'd have 3! (2 for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif) Nothing rare, but able to keep up with traffic, and easy to work on, would be my next requirements....

So, John, whatcha got in mind? Only '53 anything I've found so far, is a 53 chevy Belair coupe. Unknown engine condition, body appears straight, but needs paint. Interior needs redone (but is acceptable).... Not sure if it's still available, but was way inna back of the shop, and the guy only showed it to me after I stopped to ask about the 1929 For pickup he had out in front of the shop...

1929 ford truck - $6000 - and was an original steel body/bed placed on a 80's S-10 frame (not my style - and nowhere's near worth $1500 much less the $6K he wanted... But then I saw a nice coupe sitting inna back... 1953 Chevy coupe... After I looked I saw it was a Belair... "I'd take $1500 for it". That was about a year or so ago. I think I need to go n make a new friend myself. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
So, John, whatcha got in mind? ...

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said, it was just out of production in '53.

Ask him if he'd be interested in a Crosley Hotshot, the original American sportscar (after the Jeep, of course).

You might want to google it first.

[ Yes, made by the radio guy ...]

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We had a Crosley front suspension lyin' around for years. The Old Man picked it up someplace with the intent to make something go-kart like from it. Brother and I got to driving age before that project got started, so no kart. He did build us a "scooter" tho. With the Crosley E-brake mechanism as a rear brake... thing weighed a ton, looked like a 'shrunken' BMW motorcycle frame of the period. B&S pull-start with a centrifugal clutch... we could get it to 50 MPH! Mother was NOT impressed seeing her pre-teen children on "that thing." We onna other hand were thrilled. WHEEEEE!!!

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
[ QUOTE ]

Crosley Hotshot, the original American sportscar (after the Jeep, of course).

[/ QUOTE ]

Errr....I don't know, but I think this statement will upset quite a few Stutz owners!!! (Yes, Stutz sports cars pre-dated the Mercer Raceabout.)

jsneddon

Jedi Knight
Country flag
There was a Crosley on ebay last week. Found it browsing in "other cars". That is um.... Distinctive. Yeah... distinctive.

Kind of like this old brown mutt I used to own. We always said he was so dang ugly he was cute.

So Sammy - since the green TR3 isn't going to Dad now does that mean you're keeping it for yourself?

D

Deleted member 3577

Wonderful car choice & great present.....Do you have any smiley pics. of him in it?