• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MG shop closing.

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Wow - great resource. Time to d/l all those vids.

on edit...they're on youtube..so hopefully they will outlive the company...

Westfield_XI

Jedi Warrior
I suspect that many people consider their LBC's to be part of their discretionary spending and not a necessity. I know that independent repair shops are doing very well lately due to many people deciding to repair their cars and not replace them. But these are "go-to-work" and daily driver cars, not fun little toys that can be parked for a few months (or years) until the economy picks up again. Business at the two independent MB garages I patronize in Tucson and Los Angeles was very slow for many months while people were getting used to the new reality of todays economic climate. But once they realized that things weren't going to get better anytime soon they began to flood into the shops. They have both told me that they are seeing a lot of new customers with Benz's just off warranty that have minor needs that a few months ago would have been a trade-in.

While there may be a few folks who drive their LBCs everyday as their primary vehicle, I doubt that there are enough to keep a garage in business if the hobbyists stop spending for a few months or even years. I know that one of our local British car shops is trying to increase his late model Jaguar business since they are more likely to be viewed as a necessity than as a plaything.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
livinginthepast said:
Wow - great resource. Time to d/l all those vids.

on edit...they're on youtube..so hopefully they will outlive the company...

any chance they can get archived in the wiki?

walshja

Jedi Warrior
all his vids are on YouTube, so no need to archive.

I just heard my local MG shop is going to close as well. I heard some negative comments about the shop, so not sure if the economy is to blame there. I went down there once to talk to the manager, to get to know him, and I wasn't impressed, he wanted nothing to do with helping me, even after offering to pay him. I never went back.

I know of no other British car shops in my state. Luckily I have not needed one !!! (knocking on wood)

bugimike

Yoda
A shame to lose University Motors! Mr. Twist has been one of only a very few valuable resources to our hobby/obsession!!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
bugimike said:
A shame to lose University Motors! Mr. Twist has been one of only a very few valuable resources to our hobby/obsession!!

We're "sittin' in" another one NOW!

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I completely agree! If it hadn't been for you guys on these forums I wouldn't be as far along as I am. Hopefully the resources John has provided in technical articles and his YouTube videos will be around for a bit more.

bugimike

Yoda
I was kind hoping John Twist might find his way onto this forum as well and continue providing his gems of wisdom here!! He would be an asset to the forum!

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Anyone have the direct link to John's posting at mgexperience? I poked around but couldn't find it. He probably posts in the B section.

Country flag
Hmmm... I can't find it now. It was getting a bit political, so they may have pulled it.

Basically, he said his wife was undergoing cancer treatment, the shop broke even in 2007, lost money in 2008, and was headed for a horrific year in 2009. He decided to cut his losses since people do not have a huge entertainment budget at the moment, and money spent on British Cars is basically for entertainment. So, while other car repair shops flourish at times like these... his type shop does not. And he has no desire to run a shop for modern vehicles.

According to his YouTube video, he was planning to shut down and retire in a few years anyway (he is 60). So the economy just hastened the shop closing a bit.