• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Joining the fray...

swift6

Yoda
With all of this TR6 engine bay work going on I thought I might join the battle and get some things taken care of. My carburettors all need rebuilding and prettying up. I'll be installing a new tri-carb heat shield that some folks on the 6-Pack list came up with. Sort of a guinea pig on this one. I'll also get around to finally installing the Ratco throttle cable and an alternate hood/bonnet release mechanism.

All while trying to keep the girlfriend happy, keeping up with busy work time, coordinating all of the events for the local car club and doing some occasional work on the TR8. Should be fun. :crazy:

Since everyone will want pics, we'll start with the stripped down side of the engine that's getting the work. Sorry its so dirty...
P4070003.jpg

kodanja

Obi Wan
Country flag
Mine should be that filthy

Looks great!

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yeah Shawn,

I was so disgustid with your car the last
time I saw it!
About time you did something about it.
I just hope you never see mine!

- Doug

OP
swift6

swift6

Yoda
The cast aluminum cover had a twist to it, there from new when they belt sanded the bottom side as part of the "finishing" process of manufacture. Thought about planing it flat and cutting a groove to fit an o-ring for a gasket. Then I noticed the other cracks. All around the bolt holes. I was always very careful about not tightening too much so as to try and avoid that. Happened anyway over about a ten year period.

Was also sucking mucho oil vapor through the valve cover vent as it had no filter/trap and the increased compression meant more suck power too. Until I fit an oil/air separator, no point in going for another spendy valve cover.

So I went back to a stock cover with new filter media in it for the vent. Thought I'd try black. I like it. Wait till I'm finished. I swear there will be a method to my madness that will surely start some discussion. :devilgrin:

D

DougF

Group 44 ran with a black valve cover. Consider yourself in good company.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
mine been black for years. Ceramic coated.