• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Jamaican Fiberfab

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yes, that was an interesting exercise, and you see plans for them advertised from time to time on eBay. Pure sixties stuff. Actually the Datsun 240Z was a better rendition, style wise, in my humble opinion. In the final analysis I still think the standard Healey lines are magic, and good from any angle, except maybe when you're on your back in the footwell trying to replace those 2 watt dash lights. Anyhow, pity that the 4000 never made it beyond prototype. But just out of curiosity, I would have liked to have seen Gerry Coker's "fins" before Donald Healey nixed them. Could have been a Daimler 250-Healey. Just imagine that sweet little V8!

Regards
Dave B.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
True, but sometimes we forget that by 1968 the design of the austin healey , at that time, was considered to be out of date. Of course, these time sensitivities get lost over time, and a 1968 AH looks as handsome as a 1957 AH, although at that time they all looked 10 years out of date. That's why there were these Jamaican kits.

Of course now, the AH is far more beautiful in retrospect, as an early 1950s styling exercise, as was the e-type as a 1960s styling exercise.

Now that their styles have achieved some form of immortality, the concept of the Jamaican seems silly.

That being said, you have to admit this guy did one heck of a job with his Jamaican. I like everything about it, except maybe the color.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave: David!
Could have been a Daimler 250 Healey WOT !! Never!. Daimler 250 is a Saloon but oh yes that litle V8 be Sweeeeeet---Leoke-- :laugh:

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
This is the third time in the past couple of years that Jamaican has been on Ebay.

Tim

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Should have been more specific on the Daimler - of course it was the SP 250 model with the guppy nose and big fins, a Homer Simpson design exercise at the time, but with some softening of the extremes might have been OK. Mind you, my wife says the same about me.

The Fiberfab on eBay is no doubt a looker, and well finished. Interesting color. Apparently Steve McQueen's stunning Ferrari Lusso was a special order one-off dark brown as well, not unlike the Fiberfab. Some cars just suit this treatment, but I guess it comes down to taste (I have a dark brown TR6, which, in my medicated stupor, I love, but then again I'm rarely sober).

Where can I get a coffee on this website?

Cheers
Dave B.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
There is a pic of the finned prototype 100 fender in one of the Austin Healey books--maybe one of the onew written by Geoff Healey, know I have seen it. Someone will remember, Gerry Coker did a heck of a job on the 100, but thank goodness the fins were nixed.