• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I guess I could say, it could have been worse

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Thanks Tom. We're not hurt so no big deal.

It was getting too quiet around here I guess. My wife said that last nights full moon was to blame for all of the wacky drivers out today.

This will give me a new project to work on.

If I can get the insurance company to agree to pay for temporary repairs while we wait for parts, I may still be able to attend a cruise and show or two.

elysium

Paul
Finally got back and saw the post-as everyone else has said so sorry for the car and so glad for you and your passenger. I am sure you will find THE shop and get it done to your liking. Hope you can get it on the road in the meantime-I have been looking forward to your cruise nights and rum runners tour. Now that we're finally on the road we have to hook up at an event.
Elysium

T

Tinster

YeeGads !!! Paul.............

It doesn't help you but the local paint shop
that repaired my Grey Ghost Wrangler matched
the paint and clear coat 100%.

Perfect paint match is possible.

Super happy you were not injured.

d&w

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I don't have to worry about my TR2 getting hit, unless some crazy manages to drive into my garage and plow through the Doc Entropy sized pile of crud that has consumed my project car.
Sorry fer ya Paul. here's to a painless repair process.
Dale, Much harder to match 20 year old single stage enamel than 5 year old base- clear. The single stage tends to take on a patina over the years, that fresh paint just can't duplicate.

D

DougF

Sorry to see this. Glad the two of you are well.

I have a hood that had similar damage that I gave to friend toward his restoration. He returned it saying that the body shop didn't want to deal with it. "Too hard to work on that tight curve." So many shops don't want to take the time.

Hopefully, you can find a good craftsman.

tom628

Glad you're both OK Paul. It's a shame that had to happen to such a gorgeous car. Hope you get it back like it was without any hassle.

Tom

TheSearcherMan

Jedi Trainee
Most likely the hood hinge bolts snapped. Find a used hood and fender, and paint the whole car, and keep on driving. However, that hood and fender, based on the limited pics can easily be straight on the outside.

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Paul,

I just saw this thread. Really stinks, but at least no one was injured. Metal can be fixed easier than people. You have such a pretty car though.

Please keep us updated on the repairs.

-s

Trick6

Jedi Hopeful
Paul:
Man, what an awful thing. I am so sorry to see this. All these things are bad but as you have titled this thread "it could have been worse." I am sure you will get it fixed to your satisfaction. So, GIT-R-DONE.

Tomster

Jedi Knight
Sorry to see this happen to anyone's car and especially to a sweety like this one!
".... Car going sideways....."
Tell just a little more SVP!

cutlass29

Paul,

So sad too see the damage...such a shame after all the hard work you've put in and kept us entertained with! Pleased to hear you're both OK and I'm sure Hagerty will take good care of you. This happen In Newport ?? very busy there yesterday as we were passing thru on the way to the Cape. I get real nervous there in the summer.

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Greenie,

It was in Bristol, on the way to Newport. Obviously, we never continued the journey.

Tomster, to avoid too much detail, we were hit by a car that was pushed into us by another. Bad, but much better than a head on.

swift6

Yoda
Paul,

Total bummer, glad your both okay and your right, it could have been a lot worse. Interested to see just how bad it is inside (inner fender, valence etc...) I had a front left corner collision in my TR6 during a blizzard in January 2001. Car number 8 in a 42 car collection of twisted metal and mayhem. Led to my total tear down and repaint. I had more body damage than I see in your photos, but the frame was undamaged. Really hope yours is as well.

Most regular body shops probably won't even talk to you. You'll really have to find the ones that don't mind the "knit picky classic owner" and that are used to dealing with older cars. It will be a real test of the insurance companies list.

Good Luck!

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I've talked to two top formal restoration companies and they are not really looking to do LBC's at this time. I only did it as a backup for my friend Alan at A&E Auto, who knows the car inside and out, in the event that he didn't want to do it.

I called him and told him what happened and he drove right over to my house to look at the car. We looked it over, saw some issues that I felt were a problem, he agreed, he saw some that I didn't, I agreed and that's where we left it until the adjuster comes.

I did not open the hood yet in the event that the hinges are broken and the chance that I might not get it closed again, but it's obvious that there is damage under there. I will drive it to Alan's when the adjuster agrees to meet with me and I'll leave it there after that.

I did see a bow in the front bumper under the parking light and I don't like the door alignment on either side, when compared to earlier photo's.

Alan feels comfortable doing all of the work and we did discuss the paint, which Searcher and others have made suggestions on and this may be the time to do that as well. A total waste of time, effort and money, but what are ya gonna do??

tomshobby

Yoda
Paul, I don't know about the TR6 but that TR4 of mine went over three times that time. End over end, kitty corner, and side ways.
The damage was all sheet metal and the only body part that could be saved was the boot lid. If they could fix that they can fix yours and mine turned out perfect.!
These are about a year after it was repaired.

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
Paul,
I hope Alan is able to do the repair for you. He sounds like the sort of guy who understands LBCs and how they should be put together.
That is amazing paint work for it being 23 years old. I hope that your insurers are sympathetic. Hopefully if they are claiming back from the other party's insurance they should not question the costs of repair.
Nick

OP
Brosky

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Well, so far so good on two counts. Alan is on board for the work and I had several calls back from Hagerty.

I don't know where it will go from here, but so far I'm very impressed with the service and particularly the people at Hagerty and their support and willingness to be part of the solution to make the car right and me happy.

Within one hour of calling this morning, I had a case number and a promise of a return call from a case supervisor by 3:00. At 2:30 I had that call and all needed paperwork was sent to them, less the accident reports which will follow tomorrow.

An adjuster is being assigned and will make an appointment at my convenience to meet at the shop of my choice to inspect the damage and decide the path of repair to make it like new again.

From there, they will handle everything for me. So far, very understanding and compassionate people, all with a love of cars like we have. That's not a bad thing......