• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How are all our new Triumph owners doing?

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
It seems like we've recruited some "new" Triumph owners to join us here. Welcome!

Everyone doing OK with your projects? Any unanswered questions hanging out there?

This is also a good chance to show off your car by posting a picture of her (hint - hint)!

M

Member 10617

Couldn't make it without BCF, and that's no exaggeration. Many thanks to all.

chappy444

Doing well here, about 2 months into my ownership of a 75 spit. it is everything i hoped for in a "rolling project".
the list of "winter Projects" keeps getting longer tho...lol
i am trying very hard to resist turning this into a full resto.

one new problem that came up last night as i was going for a spin was that it would stall when i pulled up to a stop sign or red light.
it would start right back up with a single bump of the key and then run fine.

havnet had time to investigate this yet...maybe a carb or ingnitor issue???

anyway. thanks to all for the past help. hopefully one day i will be able to be a help to someone else on here.

Bill

tomgt6

Jedi Warrior
Well, not a new owner but my new project is coming along. Waiting on a few parts, water pump, choke cable, door seals, and then some tuning and final tweeks and the car may make it to the road yet.

Thanks everyone for the help as well.

V

vagt6

<span style="font-size: 10pt">
LexTR3 said:
Couldn't make it without BCF, and that's no exaggeration. Many thanks to all.

Lex, good to have you on this board, welcome!

If you haven't done so already, please consider joining the Shenandoah Valley British Car Club. Trust me, it's an excellent LBC club with many helpful and knowledgeable British car enthusiasts. Very family-oriented, we have many planned outings. Wives; girlfriends, concubines particpate as well. We have driving excursions all year long on the beautiful, twisty roads here in central VA. The biggie is the October car show in Waynesboro, one of the best in this region.

Here's the link. If you need anything else, please let me know. :thumbsup:

https://www.svbcc.net/</span>

PATR8

Jedi Knight
LEX,

I was just chatting about wanting to drive my 8 down there to see my son at VMI. There are some fanstatic roads down there and could take a week to drive them all. I can imagine me spending a few week ends down there for football games and visiting my son. Great little town

cmacmillan

Well I'm not exactly new, though I've gotten very little done on the car due to being in Europe, getting married, and having to store it in another city so I still feel like I'm at the starting line.

Anyways - I never got around to posting any pics, so I'll call myself a newbie and do that now!

BACKSIDE.jpg

INTERIOR.jpg

SIDE.jpg

FRONTSIDETOP.jpg

Bremer

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I keep telling myself that I'm only 3-4 weeks away from the first test drive in the TR3A. That's what keeps me going.
And I agree, lots of useful, informative, crucial, curious and funny information to be found here.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Welcome to all the new members. -I don't consider myself 'new', nor is my project 'new', but all progress is new. My 'new' project, the Katrina TR3 victum, is making progress. The frame, steering, suspension, diff, brakes are all like new and the engine is ready to go back together -once the parts come back from the machine shop.

This picture was taken while checking the end float of the cam last week. The folks at BCF have carried me a long way, but we're not out of the water yet.

Attachments

• 21981.jpg
    21981.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 415
M

Member 10617

Mark. Thanks for the suggestion but I am already a member of the SVBCC. Because my car has been in the shop, I haven't been able to attend any events. I had an article in the newsletter a couple of months ago about driving a 58 TR3 cross-country back in 1962.

M

Member 10617

DScott:

Yes indeed, there are great roads between Lexington and Staunton, Virginia, and all around Rockbridge County. Very sports car friendly down here. As they say in the South, "Ya'll come ta see us."

ottawa3

Mine is coming along fine after about a month - its my second 3, but the first one I bought with permission so hopefully I can keep it :smile:

I just pulled the DS floor and discovered I need to replace the fuel line. Found the outer sills to be nice and solid except for the back which will need some repair.

One thing I discovered this time for rust removal which is phenominal are "flap discs" for the grinder (search for the quote on ebay to see one) - beats the heck out of anything else I have used and leaves a nice smooth shiny surface rapidy...highly recommend as part of the toolbox,

Photos perhaps after the heatwave we are having...

Cheers,
Kerry

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
I am a little over 2 months into my TR6 ownership, and I've bitten off a huge project >_<

I managed to get it to pass inspection, but it really needs a new frame. The price I paid for the TR6 was very reasonable, with neither the previous owner nor myself catching / knowing about the real bad spot on the frame. It drives fine though and it's wicked fun. Before I knew about the bad frame, I went and did the two "comfort" projects for my driving, and replaced the seats, reupholstering a pair of miata seats, and I upgraded the sound system / speakers, because I love listening to tunes when I cruise around.

I've priced out what it's probably going to cost to fix it up right, doing the work myself, and right now it looks like I need to scrounge up a loan for about 8000$ for a new ratco frame, shock in coil conversion, new brakes, lines, calipers, etc on all 4 wheels, and new sill panels and rocker pads.

Still, if I do all that work, I'll be 11000 into the car and have a pretty darned nice one. I bought it as a driving restoration project, it just turns out that it's more of a project than either myself or the previous owner thought.

I'm going to just enjoy it from now till winter though.

Here's the car when I bought it, with it's 30 foot paint job... it looks ok from 30 feet or more, when you get closer you see how bad the paint is crazed / crackled =)
tr6.jpg

After I got the miata seats in it last weekend
miataseats.jpg

EDIT: Me spel guud!

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome Justin.

They are wicked fun, eh? (as a guy from New England it is good to hear wicked being used in a sentence)

Where is a issue on the frame? Any pictures?

justin_mercier

Jedi Warrior
tdskip said:
Welcome Justin.

They are wicked fun, eh? (as a guy from New England it is good to hear wicked being used in a sentence)

Where is a issue on the frame? Any pictures?

The car had previously had plates welded on the bottoms of the trailing arm supports, one of the apparent known weak spots on the frame, but all that those plates did was hide the fact that the frame under there is rotting out, bad. The fellow that I took it to said I'm probably good for another couple years if I don't hit any big potholes or something, but that I either need to get the whole arms cut off and replaced with new sections, or just to get a new frame, and he recommended the ratco frame because he said the price to fix the frame 'right' is probably around 2 grand or more, at which point I'd be halfway to a new ratco already.

I don't have any photos offhand of the bad spots on the frame, but they're pretty bad under the completely ineffectual 'bracing' that was welded onto the frame.

Reh

Well I got a 1970 GT6+ for my first car back in Febuary. It's a father and son project.

During the cold months i tore apart the interior and cleaned it all up. The car once had mice in it, so a lot of stuff had to be thrown away.

Now we have been working on the front end. We just need the put one sock assembly back together, and then we can move on to the rear.

old pictures from when we picked it up.

031-4.jpg

032-4.jpg