• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Honda S600 Review

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I've raced against this S800 in vintage events at BeaveRun.

It's fast and makes wicked sounds.

mccabe_vrg06_s800.jpg

DSC01488.jpg

mccabe_vrg06_s800engine.jpg

R

RonMacPherson

The article leaves the impression that the S600 was the first auto. What about the NZ600? Worked on several of those, air cooled, fwd only.

Honda didn't sell too many here as they didn't have enough power, for the weight to climb hills.

The S600, vets returning from Asia duty were importing them. Seems there were a number running around on Okinawa, which was a stop over point for a lot of troops.

Difficulty with these, was the lack of parts availability and Honda chose to spend their money federal safetying the Civic which was coming out.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Takes me back! I had an S600 Coupe (the only one Honda Motors imported into UK) and an S800 ragtop, years and years ago.
The S600 became very special. I had it for 10 years, and it was almost part of me. It grew (genuine Tech-Del) Minilites, Koni dampers, disk front brakes (from an S800 mk II), a very special 700cc engine, a Honda Competition 5-speed all-crash close-ratio 'box and stiffer torsion bars up front and coils at the rear.
It was a delight! I used in in all kinds of competition, and it would outrun all but the hottest Spridgets. It was good for 100mph in 4th, and whatever was left in 5th - not much, but not bad for a 700!
I wish I still had it . . but I still have the steering wheel, though cracked and splintered, and the workshop tool kit.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Camshaft said:
The package deal seems very appealing, and very tempting...I wonder how rusty they are?

I know we have members in the area if you need someone to check it our first

(I'm about 1 1/2 hours away)

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
If I hadn't have just bought the GT...and didn't care about my parents throwing my you-know-what out on the street...

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hmmm.

I don't know what makes me think this way, but I can't help wondering if an S2000 driveline could be installed in an S800......unclen thoughts!

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
One of the oddities about the "S" series is that the propshaft (driveshaft over here) rotates in the opposite direction to the engine when going forwards. There's a drop-down at the rear of the gearbox to lower the propshaft height.
So if you fitted an S2000 engine and 'box you'd go backwards very quickly!

OP
saabmp3

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Roger,

Are you trying to say that the rear differential has "reverse" cut gears, thus allowing it to spin the prop counter clockwise?

To all others,

I don't know who was watching my "what little new car to buy" thread, but I ended up with an S2000. I got one for much less than I could pick up a comparable MB, Porsche (Boxster) or BMW (Z3,Z4) and that's why I've been perusing the S2000 forums. The drivetrain of the AP1 S2000 is decent, although it has NO power at low ends. I think you'd be quite disappointed if you just smacked the AP1 engine tranny into another car. What's amazing about this little guy is the handling. Going in and out of corners is a whole new driving experience.

I'm not much of a speedy driver on the roads, but the suspension on the S2000 allows you to take corners 20-40 mph faster than my previous Saab, without chirping the wheels one bit. Quite a fun little car. I think Miatta fans looking for a little more oomph might enjoy this car.

Camshaft

Jedi Knight
Congratulations Ben! The S2000 is a great driver's car. I agree with the lack of low-end torque, but I still have a great respect for the car. Honda has done nothing to sacrifice the car's sporting nature in exchange for more sales; they deserve to be applauded for that.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Ben - that's what I mean, though since I'm a word-nerd, I wouldn't have used the term differential since that really has nothing to do with it! I'd have said crown wheel and pinion (I think the US term is ring gear?)
But yes, looked at from in front, as the car is going forward, the engine spins clockwise and the propshaft anti-clockwise.

OP
saabmp3

saabmp3

Jedi Hopeful
Roger,

Yeah, you're correct, the differential, which spins the two CVs and axle shafts, shouldn't change, the crown and pinion would. It's not a wording difference, I was referencing the complete wrong part!

Anyways, why is it backwards? Obviously I haven't done any work to the car yet, except for an oil change.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
this is a shot of my uncles S600 that came back from Japan with him after his time in the service.
In this shot (1973) it is powered by an Olds V8 and has a narrowed Olds rear. My dad says its one of the few cars that just plain scared the bejeebers outta him.
My uncle is the one seated on the left, next to the car, and that's my dad, standing, with the super 8 movie camera
253743844_270b034da2.jpg