• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Heacock vs Hagerty insurance users

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I've had Hagerty for several years and been very pleased with it and fortunately no claims at all. I am considering Heacock mainly due to price as similar coverage is $150 less per year so not insignificant. Know Heacock has been around for sometime and believe has an excellent reputation. Any of you out there have recommendations or experience with Heacock you might share?
Thanks,
Mike

OP
bighealeysource

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Bob,
Where would I find the reviews you're referring to ? I put in Yahoo Local and pull up my local area.
Thanks,
Mike

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've been with Heacock for more than a dozen years...no issues, no claims. Don't know much about Hagerty, but Heacock appears to work with more than one insurance carrier, which I guess means Heacock is basically an agent.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I've had Hagerty insuring my Healeys for over 10 years. The only claims have been for two broken winshields and they handled them both just fine with no hassle.

When I bought my first Elva in 2006 Hagerty did not at the time cover race cars so I got what is termed "Pit and Paddock" coverage for the Courier and the 20' enclosed trailer with Heacock. (P & P is essentially a standard comprehensive policy that provides normal coverage with stated value except when the car is on the track or in the hot pits. Once you return to the paddock coverage resumes.)

In 2008 while I was on the way to a race an uninsured driver smacked into my trailer and pretty much wiped out one side--no damage to the Elva inside. The estimated repairs came to around $2500.00 which was about 50% of the trailer's value so Heacock totalled it out and gave me the agreed value, plus they gave me the trailer for $0.00. I repaired it myself for about $700.00 and with the exception of a small area of the left rear corner where the steel frame is dented it is as good as new! Heacock's people were very easy to deal with.

In 2009 I learned that Hagerty had entered the race car market and their bid for the same coverage for all four cars was a bit less than Heacock's so I now have everything insured with Hagerty.

They're both fine companies as far as I am concerned. That said, I have each of my Healeys covered for $50K and should probably go up to $75K given recent sales.

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I have used American Collectors for my agreed to value
collision and comprehensive since I got it back on the road
in late 2006.
They are generous in the amount of driving you can do in a year. They just want to make certain you keep it locked up in the garage when not in use and you have one each daily driver per licensed member of your household... And you won't let anyone with less than 10 years driving experience drive your car.

Let's compare prices. Maybe one company is a real bargain ?

I have $52,500 coverage for $315 per year on my 65 AH-3K

So we can compare apples to apples,
I use my daily driver insurance company for my normal liability coverage on the Healey and that cost is not included in the
$ 315.

Ed K

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Rick--

I think the companies in the "collector's" market operate under a different business model and though I am sure they are here to make a profit they seem to have a much less adversarial attitude--another good reason why people with cars such as ours should not insure their Healeys, etc. with their "normal" insurance company. OTOH I think our "risk pool" is a lot safer for the insurers and most owners of classic cars go to great lengths to protect their vehicles from damage, theft, etc.

BTW a friend of mine owns a Ferrari Dino 246 that suffered extensive fire damage when a wire to the ammeter shorted against the firewall. He is insured with Grundy and tells me that repairs are estimated to run about $75K which they are paying without any grousing, etc.