• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GT-40......Toast!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Harken back to the "Ban low performance drivers..." bumper sticker. More money than brains?

really *sad* that.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
"the car went out of control"

[/ QUOTE ]

what is it about this statement that bugs me? Oh, I know, the small section in the article (one sentence) that hints at driver wrecklessness was down played compared to stating that the car "went out of control" several times...

Out of control means 200mph car 100mph driver. Oh, and by the damage list... I think they're 60mph estimate was off by at least 40mph or so. Out of control also equals some idiot doing twice the legal speed limit (or faster) on ANY road!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
ah yes, to us that might be true, but to the generic public, "the car went out of control" means the car malfunctioned and crashed due to no fault of the driver. So the appropriate phrase probably should have been "the driver lost control", in which he probably had very little of to begin with.....

either way, it's good to hear that both the driver and more importantly the passenger are ok.

Steve_S

Yoda
I don't find that sad at all. It helps keep Ford in business when they have to keep replacing smashed up $150,000 cars.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
His next car should likely be a Humber Super Snipe...

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
His next car should likely be a Humber Super Snipe...

[/ QUOTE ]

But they're not making any more of those... at any price.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lets see- it got "airborn" and tore a pole with its concrete anshor from the ground... sounds like a severe spasm in the driver's right leg to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That'd be his ~only~ ticket to "unique" car ownership.

Or mebbe tattoo "IDIOT!" across his forehead, as a judgement, just to warn anyone who comes into contact with him?

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
... At least it wasn't one of the older, original GT40's, just one of the new ones.

People with money, who think they can drive, ...

Hayfever

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
... At least it wasn't one of the older, original GT40's, just one of the new ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. My stomach sank when I read the title in the forum list, a Ford GT is a bit of a different bird from a GT-40. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Yeah, you can actually fit in one if your taller than 5'11"

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I recently read where there was a serious recall on those - suspension or steering problems...Ford even sent a technician to each owner's home to correct the defect.

I've seen all the problems that Jeremy Clarkson had with his on Top Gear last year. Went back to Ford about half a dozen times, and still wasn't right when he got it the last time. I'd take one though. It'll be worth alot of money on 30-40 years!

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
#1. DEALER PLATE! Oh man, I'd hate to be that salesman. The driver deserves to get yelled at.
How about the old saying "you break it, you bought it"?
#2. 60+mph in a 35mph zone?!! Thats just wreckless and stupid.
#3. Totally agree with the driver vs. car losing control remark.
#4. Jumped a curb, went airborne, and took out a pole, and all the passenger sustained was cuts and bruises? That says a lot for the construction of that car. Try that in an original GT40 (on second thought, please don't)
#5. I'd take the new Superformance version over the ford. They say it uses parts that 90%of which could be bolted on an original GT40. How's that for a replica?!
P.S. I'm 6'1"... Can you say "Gurney bubble"?
OK that's it for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Unique Motorcars over in Gadsden, AL - one of the oldest Cobra replica builders - was offering a GT-40 for a while (don't know if they still do)....saw one in their showroom - even sat in it....man

beaulieu

Jedi Warrior
My friend was one of the first to total a new Viper when they first came out !

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
heehehaahaaahoohohoooo!!!

"Gurney Bubble" in a GT 40, Ben at th' helm.....

Heeehehheeeeeeeeee.

I love it!

[ QUOTE ]
Unique Motorcars over in Gadsden, AL - one of the oldest Cobra replica builders - was offering a GT-40 for a while (don't know if they still do)....saw one in their showroom - even sat in it....man

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember seeing them in Kit Car Magazine. Haven't bought one (that magazine) in years, but as I recall, they used to do a pretty good replica. Another place in MS used to do a very realistic Countach complete with very original looking birdcage tube frame. I think they got shutdown though.

Speaking of Countach... About 10 years ago in Robb Report magazine, the Toy Store (can't rememebr if it was Atlanta or Miami) had a REAL 1988 Countach for sale for $8800. I was about 17 at the time, and no real job to speak of. As I recall the engine was there, but it wasn't running - maybe blown up?.... If I'da been working and had the money though... <sigh> /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif A couple years later - I just missed buying a Replica countach for sale locally for $3000 (by about half an hour the PO told me). I'd seen it and it would've gotten $20,000 or more today. Was well done, and he probably had over $3000 in original Lambo badges and wheels. Would've been cool... Ah the one's that got away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

G

Well, even though it's not an original GT-40 it's still a fantastic car by any measure, and a shame to see trashed since it is a limited production model. What a bonehead...

I'd also take the Superformance Cobra Daytona coupe replica, saw on of those last summer at our local Friday night cruise in (no camera with me unfortunately), and just read the write up in the last R&T on it, what an unbelievable car.

For more exotic car carnage, including an Enzo or 2, go here. Sad what people with money can manage to do with some of the most beautiful machines.

Wrecked Exotics