• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Going for a little walk

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Today is still Burgos. We are taking a kind of sabbath every week or so - the pics Basil posts next are Burgos Cathedral- completely over the top! To these Presbyterian eyes it is very excessive- and actually considering the cathedral was
mostly done about thirty years after the beginning of the reformation, some of the logic of the reformation around excess makes sense.

until today I hadn’t really fathomed that all the great cathedrals of Europe were all built more or less at the same time - 11th - 15th centuries. And that there was much work for architects and artists back and forth - and i imagine much one upmanship. Oh and the churros and flan was our treat after. The cities are not especially clean but no disposable cups! Every one stops for coffee and a cafe con leche is one euro 20.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This is supposed to be a family friendly site, what is Mrs. JP doing sitting with a naked man who happens to be holding his impressive rod?

In all seriousness though you are taking some great photos JP and I am enjoying living vicariously through you and your wife right now.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Today is still Burgos. We are taking a kind of sabbath every week or so - the pics Basil posts next are Burgos Cathedral- completely over the top! To these Presbyterian eyes it is very excessive- and actually considering the cathedral was
mostly done about thirty years after the beginning of the reformation, some of the logic of the reformation around excess makes sense.

until today I hadn’t really fathomed that all the great cathedrals of Europe were all built more or less at the same time - 11th - 15th centuries. And that there was much work for architects and artists back and forth - and i imagine much one upmanship. Oh and the churros and flan was our treat after. The cities are not especially clean but no disposable cups! Every one stops for coffee and a cafe con leche is one euro 20.

Here are the next pics - also added in higher resolution to the Flickr account I link to earlier.

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-35.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-36.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-37.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-38.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-39.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-40.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-41.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-42.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-43.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-44.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
That statue is impressive but up close looks covered with crustaceans- especially in a strategic spot. In today’s pics the pic with the β€œman” over the clock - he is the β€œfly catcher β€œ a mechanical β€œtoy” that rings the bell on the hour and whose mouth opens to catch flies.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
David , Mrs JP has read them and loved them.

todays update. Sabbath over we checked out of the hotel and started walking. Got maybe thirty feet (in 32 deg. Weather) when a woman runs up and asks if we are pilgrims- in French. She and her friend are starting today and don’t know where the path is. She runs back to her husbands car grabs their packs and together we walk for the first hour. Amazing how much French you can remember when you have to . The pic of three women walking is them and Tori. Stopped at a little church and we each received a prayer card and a small medal of Mary as a gift for the journey. Then the Maseta- the terrain was very very different. You can see by the pics - and notice that in one pic you see a woman pushing a jogging stroller! Amazing. She and her five year old son. In Hornillos for the night and happy to rest.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oh and, best line ever. We were only traveling with about 2 people today- by which I mean normally you can see a dozen at any given time. On of these is a Frenchman 70ish. We are in the same albergue. I have finished my shower and am shaving. He is in the shower. While there is good pressure and heat for the showers sometimes they have the button you push and the water flows for 30 seconds and stops. Needless to say there is a trick to it. So friend hops in shower starts soaping and water stops- all i hear from the shower is one word- no inflection no volume just on word: merde. I almost lost it. :smile:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
David , Mrs JP has read them and loved them.

todays update. Sabbath over we checked out of the hotel and started walking. Got maybe thirty feet (in 32 deg. Weather) when a woman runs up and asks if we are pilgrims- in French. She and her friend are starting today and don’t know where the path is. She runs back to her husbands car grabs their packs and together we walk for the first hour. Amazing how much French you can remember when you have to . The pic of three women walking is them and Tori. Stopped at a little church and we each received a prayer card and a small medal of Mary as a gift for the journey. Then the Maseta- the terrain was very very different. You can see by the pics - and notice that in one pic you see a woman pushing a jogging stroller! Amazing. She and her five year old son. In Hornillos for the night and happy to rest.

And here are the pictures for today

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-45.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-46.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-47.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-48.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-49.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-50.jpg

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I remember roads like that with the grass down the middle when I was growing up in Ireland. They usually had a path in the grass where the donkey pulling the cart walked.

Great photos. Thank you.
Making me want to get serious about plans for a trip.

Davd

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
As I sat in front of the mirror getting ready to put my going to meeting face on I was dumb struck. My once hazel eyes were now a bright green. I suspect envy was the culprit. I am in awe of journey. This is for sure a vacation/journey that will always be remembered!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Forgot to mention that Burgos is filled with sculptures of people in various guises and take - never saw a wheelchair sculpture before. Also, spot the inherent problem with putting a Camino arrow in the back window of the car!

(the Camino way is marked with sea shells and or yellow arrows- including graffiti everywhere!)

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Next couple of posts will be Camino signs- followed by supper- this albegue (hostel) had a community meal - Paella in the biggest pan I have ever seen! Four languages in our earshot- English French Dutch and Spanish. Much fun.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Simply epic, JP.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
20 more km today. In Castrojeriz. Last night- 14 to the room was a veritable symphony of snoring! Not much sleep and we were last to the albergue so two top bunks. :rolleyes:

not much different walking today though many many windmill generators. Warmer finally. Tonight in β€œCasa de Camping β€œ - really - though a lovely room for two and roast lamb tonight! Hence the pic of the oven. Oh and yes the castle ruin is the view out the window. But I am not climbing up to see it.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
20 more km today. In Castrojeriz. Last night- 14 to the room was a veritable symphony of snoring! Not much sleep and we were last to the albergue so two top bunks. :rolleyes:

not much different walking today though many many windmill generators. Warmer finally. Tonight in β€œCasa de Camping β€œ - really - though a lovely room for two and roast lamb tonight! Hence the pic of the oven. Oh and yes the castle ruin is the view out the window. But I am not climbing up to see it.

More pics from today (JP - Note I edited out the big tumb that was in the first picture :cool-new: ):

JP_Smit-.jpg

JP_Smit-57.jpg

JP_Smit-59.jpg

JP_Smit-60.jpg

JP_Smit-61.jpg

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And here when Basil posts is the lamb itself- that for two people! Yes it was a religious experience:great n: enough garlic to keep away a family of vampires!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm sooo gastronomically jealous!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag