• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Going for a little walk

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Wife and daughter were in Spain last summer. They loved it - especially the food. Me? I love the Iberico ham and Spanish cheeses. Be sure to sample them at a tapas bar if you have not done so already.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Wife and daughter were in Spain last summer. They loved it - especially the food. Me? I love the Iberico ham and Spanish cheeses. Be sure to sample them at a tapas bar if you have not done so already.

almost every day for lunch is ham and cheese- lovely (I like cheese:smile: ) today was chorizo sausage- pretty awesome. Today was 22 km again had some rain and even hail but still the views were amazing.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Sounds like you're having a great time!

But ... I'll ask the obvious ... when will you post photos??? No one will let you use their smartphone or laptop? Not even at an overnight spot? You can't email them to a BCF member?

We need pictures!

Tom M.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Tom et al I can’t sort out the picture thing. Go to the Book of Faces and search my wife’s name- Tori Bennett Smit and she has been posting pics. Best I can do sorry

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
hmmm - can't find a "Tori Bennett Smit" on Facebook, altho' there are dozens of Tori Bennetts.

Could you just give us the link to Tori's FB page?

Thanks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Chase this: link

:smirk:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
If someone will email me some pictures at bcfadmin:atbritisihcarforum.com I will post them here. (I don't do Facebook)

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Will try when I get decent wifi boss

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
My wife's cousin is doing this walk this year... no idea when he's starting it. Never heard of it until we were in Ireland this past April and heard a discussion of religious pilgrimages on the car radio.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I'm uploading a few of the pictures JP sent me. Since there is a limit to the number of photos I can attach to a post, I uploaded the entire set (more may be added later) to my personal Flickr account. You can view them all here: >> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmjMwC7j

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-1.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-2.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-4.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-5.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-10.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-11.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-13.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-15.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-21.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-23.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-29.jpg

Last edited:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
This has been on my bucket list ever since I saw the movie The Way a few years ago.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
So the ruins were a Church in Viana on the city wall - ruined in a battle in 1855 or so. The vista in between was shot literally by turning around from the church,

the statue is Santo Domingo- I think the patron saint of the Camino itself- he dedicated his life to opening up the Camino. The cathedral where the statue is always has a live rooster and chicken in the sanctuary. According to the legend a pilgrim family stopped there. A local lass fastened her eye on the son of the pilgrims and when he failed to return her affection she planted a silver cup in his luggage and had him arrested for stealing. He was condemned to hang. The parents meanwhile continued oblivious and only found out when they arrived in Santiago. They hurried back and found their son hanging but alive. They rushed to tell the mayor who was having his supper. The mayor proclaimed “ he is no more alive than this chicken I am eating at which point the chicken burst into life and began to cluck.

last night was Belorado- still cool weather (about 50 today) and May Day so a holiday. We ended up in an albergue run by a Swiss group- very Swiss! Very precise. They have two churches- one used in summer the other in winter. The monestary is built into the cliffs. Had a lovely evening in the town square with many pilgrims from all over- it is very special as you get to know each other. Met a German guy who was a car guy- drove a 2015 vette and had a model A hot rod a model A pickup dragster and a 32 Ford.

Today is Burgos we are in a hotel for two nights for a bit of a break. Today was the museum of human evolution as the oldest human remains are found in this area. We’re als to see the cathedral (basil has pics) but there was a vip visitor so it was closed. Not sure who but many police and some protesters.

oh and tonight was a break from pilgrim meals - which are quite good 3 course plus wine for about nine or ten euros. But boring. We had burgers. We have been traveling with two women from Edmonton. And Theresa was about to order. The waitress did her best to explain that hers was the horse meat burger. Fortunately she caught it in time : grin:

cheers all!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oh and the couple hiking- notice her “pack” a gold Purse. She has either conned her boyfriend into carrying everything or more likely is having her stuff shipped ahead every day- this is big business with at least three or four companies moving from albergue to albergue. Even our Edmonton friends have suitcases they ship eahday in addition to their packs (they are traveling after)

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
What a great trip JP! Woud love to go there. I love old architecture, Greek & Roman were my thing, ages and ages ago, still remember some of it. Actually I still have some of my papers on it. No they weren't written on parchment paper! :thumbsup:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
More pictures from JP (See the Flicker link in my post #34 for better resolution images of all the pics to date.

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-30.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-31.jpg
JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-33.jpg

JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-34.jpg

Attachments

• JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-32.jpg
    JP_Smit_CaminoDeSantiago-32.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 8
OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Possible repost but maybe not. The carvings are on the gate to the city - boss there is a small museum in the gate with a photography exhibit- from the late 1800’s. The goofy nativity and Jesus? Getting his tucus washed is from and amazing store with every kind of nativity set imaginable- some 50 pieces or more and designed (and priced) to be added to every year. Fun.