• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Giving up restoration of '74 Midget

G

Well I've decided to pull the plug on my 7 year effort to restore my 1974 Midget. I just don't have the enthusiasm or motivation to finish--the car has sat on jackstands in my garage since 2001. It's a nice relatively rust-free California car. I've got over $3000 in new parts in it and I just listed it in the classifieds, but I don't think that it's going to sell.
So I'm parting the car out on Ebay. I figure that I could get about 50% of what I put into it (don't even ask about all the hours I put into cleaning up and painting things!).
I need the garage space now since I just stumbled upon a very nice 1968 Mustang. It's sad to see the MG go, but I don't have the time to wait around for a buyer.
It's time to move on. Keep a look out for some nice parts on Ebay.

Country flag
If I were closer I'd consider it. I've always been put off by the price of the frontline front suspension kit, but it hasn't gotten any cheaper.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
c16187 said:
Well I've decided to pull the plug on my 7 year effort to restore my 1974 Midget. I just don't have the enthusiasm or motivation to finish--the car has sat on jackstands in my garage since 2001. It's a nice relatively rust-free California car. I've got over $3000 in new parts in it and I just listed it in the classifieds, but I don't think that it's going to sell.
So I'm parting the car out on Ebay. I figure that I could get about 50% of what I put into it (don't even ask about all the hours I put into cleaning up and painting things!).
I need the garage space now since I just stumbled upon a very nice 1968 Mustang. It's sad to see the MG go, but I don't have the time to wait around for a buyer.
It's time to move on. Keep a look out for some nice parts on Ebay.
It has been 10 years for me and mostly done now, but I know how long it can take when you don't have much time.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Well, you always hate to hear something like that. But sometimes, what the heck, you just have to move on. Best of luck with the Mustang.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
Bummer to hear, but congrats on the 'stang!

Please post links to your auctions, I'm looking for some leaf springs in good shape and I am sure a few other bits and pieces.

GB1

Yoda
Country flag
what makes you think that you will finish the stang?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

That's just ~mean~ Patrick. :wink:

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hopefully you'll have better luck with the Mustang. There must be something about 74 Midgets that get caught in a limbo state. I'd just about given up this time last year on Midgie, and was considering the same thing.

Let us know when you post parts on Ebay. I'm always looking for parts.

dklawson

Yoda
Don't feel bad. I'm sure it was a tough decision.

One of my buddies has had his TR6 in pieces for 15 years now. It's just sitting there in the garage with the body tub covered in epoxy primer. Two years ago the same guy decided when he and his wife were going to adopt a kid he'd get a Triumph-2000 Estate (a family British car). According to his pre-kid plans, that was going to be a rolling restoration once he addressed the basics. He estimated 6 months to get the car on the road. Though progress has been made, the priorities of family life often prevent projects like that from moving at the pace we originally anticipate. In short, you are not alone.

Good luck with the Mustang.

OP
V

vagt6

BTDT

AND . . .

The longer you let one sit without working on it, the greater your chances of not finishing.

Not sure how this works, but it's true. To combat this evil trend, it helps to strive do <span style="font-style: italic">something</span> every day, no matter how insignificant it may seem. Even if it's polishing a door handle, try to do <span style="text-decoration: underline">something</span> every day.

Keeps you focused on the car, and it's progress.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
:iagree: and I have to get back at it!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:iagree: Good luck on the Mustang -- hopefully that car will work out better for you.

Boy, I need to get working myself...

Atrus

Jedi Warrior
I wish I had the time or money to work on it. There's no lack of desire/drive to do it, just lack of resources.

First, I need to get the garage semi-workable - lighting, new electrical

Then, I need a compressor

Then, I need other misc equipment - welder, etc.

Then, I need the wallet to stop crying.

Then, the teardown can begin.

I think this summer my goal is to get the garage set. This fall I will rip the interior out so I can work on that in the basement, and I'll start to accumulate the tools. Then, summer 2009 I will hopefully be done sitting for the CPA and I am going nuts on the bodywork/drivetrain.

At least if I get the suspension back up to par, I can drive it this summer! It's been driven a little, but the suspension really isn't in good shape.

blkcorvair

Jedi Knight
vagt6 said:
BTDT

AND . . .

The longer you let one sit without working on it, the greater your chances of not finishing.

Not sure how this works, but it's true. To combat this evil trend, it helps to strive do <span style="font-style: italic">something</span> every day, no matter how insignificant it may seem. Even if it's polishing a door handle, try to do <span style="text-decoration: underline">something</span> every day.

Keeps you focused on the car, and it's progress.

Definatally Progress is hapiness!!!!!

OP
G

GB1 said:
what makes you think that you will finish the stang?

Good question, but there's an easy answer: Money. But also convenience, time and passion.

First the money. I had not touched the engine or tranny on my Midget. To build a mild engine was going to cost me at least $3000. A stock tranny rebuild is going for around $1000. And I'd end up with a 75hp car with a transmission that I couldn't cruise done Interstate 5 (California) at more than 65 mph without spinning the engine at 3800 rpm.

Before I decided to take on the 1968 Mustang I did some research. You can get a great set of forged pistons for $300-500. Or a more than adequate cast pistons for $200. A new set of high performance forged rods with ARP hardware costs $265 from Eagle. A set of NEW Ford GT40 alloy heads complete are $1100, or you can get a complete set of high performance cast iron heads from World for a little over $800.

You can get an excellent high performance short block from the best engine houses for about $1600. A cam and lifters from Edelbrock or Crane will set you back about $200. Roller timing chain from Cloyes cost $80.

So you can put together a complete short block with new heads and high performance everything for under $3000. I decided I'm going to rebuild the exising short block since it's original and I can probably get it all done with the same level of quality for $2200 (w/World heads). And this engine should be good for 300 hp at the flywheel.

And speaking of flywheels, I wanted to put the Datsun Rivergate 5 speed in my car but after looking into it, I figured that it would cost me between $2200-2500.

The '68 Mustang I'm getting has an automatic (Ford C4). I preferred a manual and it turns out that there are kits out there to put the newer Tremac T5 five speed into the old Mustangs. You can buy a brand new T5 for $1400! All of the other pieces to complete the conversion will set you back another $1500, but that includes a new flywheel and all new parts. And there is virtually no cutting or fiddling.

However, I decided that I'm going to keep the C4 auto since they now make high performance C4s that can take 450 HP easily and are vastly improved over the original C4. A rebuilt C4 and matching torque converter costs about $1000.

In comparison, a set of rods from Hal Waldrop at Acme costs $450 which is about the same price as what APT wants. Moss wants $154 for the ARP rod bolts, $210 for the head studs and $100 for the main caps. ARP bolts for the Ford are $60 (rods), $65 (main caps), and $90 (head studs).

I called up APT to ask about refinishing my stock 1275 crank. I told him I didn't need a wedge crank etc, but asked about tuftriding since it is priced in his catalog. He said that I should just buy one of his prepared cranks. APT 1275 cranks are $855 and I told myself right then and there, that I wasn't going to put a $900 crankshaft in a $1500 car!

You can buy a brand new cast crank for the 302 for $250 or a forged unit for about $650.

I priced out the machine work for my 1275 at APT and some other places, and it was very expensive compared to what I could get the corresponding work done on a Ford 302. A fully blueprinted block from a top notch builder is about $650 or $800 delivered to L.A. from across the country.

In terms of the rest of the car, everything else is also cheaper and plentiful. You can order virtually everything from the internet. The owner of the Mustang that I'm getting already started restoring it. He cleaned and painted the entire underbody including the differential case. There is no rust on the car with the exception of 2 small holes in the roof (it had a vinyl top) which are easily fixed. So the car is clean to start.

I had a 1966 GT Fastback Mustang 30 years ago when I was going to school (that's university for our British viewers!). It was just a used car and not very reliable. I broke clutch linkages and the clutch and all kinds of stuff. I replaced the cast iron T-10 transmission lying on my back on top of the exhaust pipes. I used by feet and hands as the transmission jack--it was not fun, but I needed to get to school.

I grew up down the street from the original Carroll Shelby showroom on Imperial Highway next to LAX. My dad would go up there to look at the Cobras and Shelby Mustangs but we didn't have any money in those days. When I had my Mustang it took all that I had just to keep it running--I couldn't even think about modifying it. My older brother "Shelbyized" his '66 fastback so I've been through this before.

So fast fowards 28 years and now I have the time and money to make the Mustang that I dreamed about when I was a kid. However, this time I don't have to economize by visiting junkyards and scrimping on every nut and bolt. But it's still going to be cheapter than restoring my '74 Midget.

I originally bought the Midget because it was cheap and relatively inexpensive compared to everything else at the time. Even unrestored Mustangs at the time were expensive. This Mustang that I'm getting literally fell out of the sky into my lap. However, if I was to do this all over again, I would not have chosen a Midget. It would have been cheaper in the long-run and easier to spend more at the beginning on a car like a Mustang, a car that I was very passionate about.

BTW, I went all over Southern California looking for my Midget. The car I bought had the least rust and was the most dent free of any car that I looked at, so it was a very good car for my intentions.

Thanks for all of the kind words. I'll be selling off everything over the next few months. It's a shame but I really need to get the car out of my garage. I let Tom Colby (Speedwell) that my car is available, but I'm not confident that I'll find a buyer and I probably get more money by selling it off piece by piece on Ebay. Just the chrome bits like the tail light housings and other things seem to be worth something. This car was not a rusted hulk or abused so it's got lots of nice pieces.

OP
G

Mark's strategy works for me too - I agree 100%. If I get stalled on a project I just try to make it back into the garage every night (or a few times a week) even if its just 10-20 minutes of clean up, sanding a part, or something - ANYTHING. Helps break the inertia and get me back on track and soon I'm back in the habit of spending a few hours down there and making progress.

OP
G

I understand the money frustration thing too - do I ever! I have a friend that has built a Toyota Supra. For not a lot more than I have in my car, he has a car that dynos an incredible 745 HP at the rear wheels(!) on pump gas and has won a "best in show" and "best engine in show" at two small car shows recently. Makes me sick (with jealousy)!! My last engine rebuild cost me about 10K, his was done at the same shop for less than 3K I think. But, it just wouldn't be the same as owning my weird little brit.

OP
G

Allen_M said:
I understand the money frustration thing too - do I ever! I have a friend that has built a Toyota Supra. For not a lot more than I have in my car, he has a car that dynos an incredible 745 HP at the rear wheels(!) on pump gas and has won a "best in show" and "best engine in show" at two small car shows recently. Makes me sick (with jealousy)!! My last engine rebuild cost me about 10K, his was done at the same shop for less than 3K I think. But, it just wouldn't be the same as owning my weird little brit.

10 GRAND?! Good Grief! If I spent $10,000 on a Ford 302 engine I could have a fire breathing dragon. You can buy a brand new crate engine from Ford for $4700--it has the aluminum GT40 heads and puts out 340HP.

I know that it's unfair to compare prices of Spridget things to a mass-market car like the Mustang. Acme and APC have to stay in business and the economies of scale aspect of this is obvious.

But for us working Joe's price is an issue as well as convenience. Also, it's not difficult to find an unrestored pony car in California that will not have any significant rust issues. But with my Midget as hard as I looked I couldn't find one that didn't have rust issues.

I was going to buy a MIG welder for the repairs and was okay with that--but the project was turning into an endless stream of "I'll have to do this or buy that..."

For example, I orginally bought new lever shocks from Moss. After sitting on my self for a few months, one of them started leaking a little bit and it never did "feel" right. After a while I decided to bite the bullet and just get the Frontline kit--it hurt spending over $700 on that kit (with taxes) but at least I had a proper shock.

It's hard to keep up one's interest when you never see the light at the end of tunnel.

I've bought lots of things from eBay and most of it comes from obviously junked cars--the parts arrive soiled and with layers of grime. My car is relatively clean and some parts like the trunk lid are in excellent condition. Even much of the chrome is in good condition.

It will be ironic if I end up having more fun parting out a perfectly good car than I had in rebuilding it. I do feel rather guilty about this but I really need to get this car out of my garage. The amount of work that it will take to get this car running is trivial compared to what most of you are doing here with your Spridgets, but the thought of spending another 5 grand to get the thing running is just stifling. I hope that the tub won't go to the shredding machine.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hate that - but, when I see this quote, I can understand where starting a project without a clearly defined course of action could ensure that outcome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]To build a mild engine was going to cost me at least $3000. A stock tranny rebuild is going for around $1000.[/QUOTE]
I have to ask: In what world?!? I just completely went through my ribcage trans for less than $200; had all the machine work done on my 1098 engine for under $800 & will end up with - maybe - $2000 in a solid stock engine when finished (& that includes the custom 1266 grind cam & new pistons!)

But, when you make a decision to walk away from a project, its hard to go back - I know. Its almost like the end of a long relationship and you sometimes can't wait to distance yourself from it.

Good luck with the Mustang...hope you get it finished....but, don't be a stranger.

OP
G

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I have to ask: In what world?!? I just completely went through my ribcage trans for less than $200; had all the machine work done on my 1098 engine for under $800 & will end up with - maybe - $2000 in a solid stock engine when finished (& that includes the custom 1266 grind cam & new pistons!)
[/QUOTE]

Check out the machine shop prices for APT or any of the other MG builders. I also was not going to rebuild my tranny. Moss wants $190 for a piston set. Moss wants $368 for headers! I know that you can find something a little cheaper, but a set of Headman Headers for a Mustang costs $165. VB wants between $400-600 for their Kent cam kits.

Face it, the dollar is taking a pounding and everything imported from Britain costs more. I just looked at the cost of lower a-arms--it's $250 for a British Motor Heritage piece from Moss. I paid only $110 but that was 4 years ago.

I didn't buy any engine parts for my Midget so the thought of paying these kinds of prices was one of the reasons why the project stalled. That's the world I live in.

The dollar is just going to get weaker in the future so I'm cutting my financial losses. BTW, Hal Waldrop of Acme had a post recently where he quoted a price of about $3500 for a good solid 1275 rebuild. I figured that I could get things done for a little cheaper but I could never get it significantly cheaper than $3000.

Maybe Hal can enlighten this issue further--am I out in fantasy land with my $3000 1275 slightly modified rebuild?