• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Ford Capri

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Spotted just a mile and a half from my home today.

11412189_850382638376742_4750729679421254186_n.jpg

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Always a nice car and with a variety of engines available.

I had a 2.0 version years ago but never licensed it......I just bought it cheap to resell at a profit.

We have at least one that races with us but you rarely see them on the street any more. That one, with the wide-body flares, looks particularly nice!

Basil

Administrator
Boss
The first car I ever bought new was a 1974 Capri. Metallic Green with Black Interior and a black vinyl top. It was actually a very nice little car. Very similar to this one but black int/top:

1974-Ford-Capri-GXL_2.jpg

LarryK

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Unfortunately, I bought the Mustang II Mach 1, instead of the Capri. Might of still had the Capri, now worth more.

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Bas, the Mk1 Capris like the one you had always hit the spot for me. Drove several Mk2 and Mk3 versions but the Mk1 always eluded me. Looks-wise the Capri was spot-on.

catfood

Jedi Knight
I didn't know they were sold over the pond. In later years they became a bit of joke car over here (inverted hedghogs) and you very rarely see one on the road. Only ever drove one one and wasn't particularly impressed but it was a bit of a wreck that a friend was working on to flip and make a quick quid.

D

Deleted member 8987

MERCURY Capri this side of the pond. I am going back in the memory banks....MS 3.1 eye think...weren't fuel fillers in C pillars on Brit versions? Or was that one of the Marks later than this?
I worked for Lincoln-Mercury at the time these were popular...and after I left there, did a lot.
The big issues were A) Dagenham transmission, B) ringing prop shaft, C) horrible front end design.
Prop shaft was fixed (really) with a full face shield, drill a hole in the back of the shaft, rotate 180 and drill a hole in the front...then use an early version of two-part spray expandable foam, insert the nozzle in the back, on a lift, have your assistant pull the lever...and when it bubbled out the top hole at the trans end, stop...when dry, trim it off.
They had a two-piece, three joint shaft on the very early ones..could never get them balanced..change them all over to single piece..and got the ringing.
The nasty issue was sun roofs.
When they were assembled, there is a shelf to catch water ingress, with a drain hose at each rear corner. Unfortunately, whoever had the responsibility on the line to feed the hose down and THROUGH the hold forward of the wheel housing....didn't. The were bent over, sealed off.
Pouring rain, 36 degrees, poor driver comes off the freeway, hits the brakes at the end of the offramp, and a gallon of very cold water came out of the catch basin, and right down his neck.
Oh, the screaming we heard.

Front end, while most cars of the era had lower control arm positioned by a radius arm headed rearwards, these depended on the forward mounted sway bar to hold the control arms in place. Rubber dongle pressed into the cast control arm, had to remove the inner pivot bolts to feed the arm onto the angled outwards front mounted sway bar, then use everything you could muster to try to get the last arm back in far enough to get the pivot bolt back in.
And do the sway bar bushings at the same time..because all 4 bits wore out together..rapidly.

I remember them well..."The sexy European". Right.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
They sold a lot of them back in the day, and there don't seem to be any of them around anymore, at least in the rust belt, don't know about the rest of the world. I always thought they were a neat little package, especially with the v-6, bigger than a B-GT, but I am sure they would look pretty tiny on the road today.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Out here on the left coast I haven't seen one in YEARS-
They were great looking cars, loved the MkI !!
BillM

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Matchbox used to make a purple one that was always a favorite of mine.

There's a guy who has one about 8 miles from my house...I'll pass it on one of the loops I do on my bike.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had one of the six cylinder ones, standard trans, yellow. with black interior. Went to drive it home one eve and as I put it into reverse the shifter broke off with about an inch of it still showing. Drove home with a set of Vice-Grips for a shorty shifter. Went to the local dealer a day later and they had a supply of shifters in stock! Said they'd had a rash of broken ones and decided to keep 'em on hand. That car rusted kinda quick, too. We did re-do the body after about four years and sold it off.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Steve,

That appears to be a MKIII - never imported here (officially).

- Doug