• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

DJI Mavic Pro

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Yes, I've seen/read about this. Being used around airports or special facilities. I have had some small bird buzz it out of curiosity (or maybe thinking it was a pesky crow).

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Stay clear of Class D airspace unless you have clearance.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I don't really know the classes, but the thing automatically knows what air-space it is in. I've had some warning about class "C" and to fly with caution.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
automatically knows what airspace it's in. Now *that* is impressive. Does it know what to do when entering areas that require tower communication, etc.? Does it turn around when nearing restricted areas?

I keep imagining it saying "Please Mr. Custer - I don't want to go!"

(if you remember that line, you're nearly as old as me!)

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

"Hey, Charlie, duck your head!"

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
automatically knows what airspace it's in. Now *that* is impressive. Does it know what to do when entering areas that require tower communication, etc.? Does it turn around when nearing restricted areas?

It constantly uses GPS and notifies with warnings. I've never flown in illegal spaces so I don't know what it does. I do know that at 400 feet it won't fly higher (as that is illegal - though one can change that setting).

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
The way I learned it - Class C - operating Control Tower. Class B - BIG airport. Must establish radio contact before entering and follow directions from controllers.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'll have to explore further. I have received a warning, once, that I was at or near Class C space and should "fly with caution."
I've seen the maps of my area and there is nothing close to me.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Coincidentally in this month ABA Journal, there is a piece on Law of Drones". If I were starting out as a lawyer, this is a specialty I would take up. Consider the possibilities. Personal injuries, invasion of privacy, collisions with aircraft - the mind boggles. Mostly caused by rogue, unlicensed drones or 14-year old reckless kids, not informed owners like Boink who know the rules. Two seminal cases already. AZ firefighters hosing a hovering drone while they were battling a blaze (OK) and Kentucky man shooting down a drone hovering over his yard (Not OK.) Also in the same issue, a law article about self-driving cars. Conclusion - in a true self-driving car, the driver is off the hook completely. There will have to be some sort of no-fault or worker's comp to cover the accidents that are sure to occur. I would not like to be a passenger in a SDC driving on a snowy, icy CT back road during a snowstorm.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
" ... Kentucky man shooting down a drone hovering over his yard ..."

That should be a very interesting topic, especially concerning "peeping tom" and/or voyeurism. If the drone is hovering over someone's house, is it taking pictures of what's going on in someone else's house? which later show up on YouTube?

https://www.law360.com/articles/848165/an-update-on-drone-privacy-concerns

The mind boggles.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So how far does one's property extend vertically?

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Beats me. There must be some sort of rules on height proximity.

Last edited:

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
So how far does one's property extend vertically?

Elliot, being a pilot, you know there are controlling factors involved. 500 feet is usually the max, as long as it is the proper distance from any controlled air space, such as around airports. High rise buildings and towers need special permits to be built and conform to 24/7 warning lighting for aircraft safety. As for drones, they must not invade the privacy of citizens and their property without permission from the property owner, but still need to adhere to local government laws and FAA rules on controlled air space. A lot of folks do it and never get in trouble, but I would always check with the local controlling agency first. Better to be safe than sorry. :encouragement: PJ

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Current aircraft law in UNCONTROLLED airspace: 1,000 feet minimum height over the highest object in congested areas, like houses;500 feet over the highest object in uncongested or vacant areas, like the Mojave desert. That's why drones are not allowed to fly over 400 feet (if that in fact is a matter of law). A drone under 400 feet in your yard? Some claim your air rights go down to the blades of grass. That means any drone under 400 feet is basically trespassing, but that doesn't mean you can shoot it down despite some Rambo-type opinions on the Internet. If it's taking pictures into your house? Why? maybe it's the local tax assessor, but I believe they have to call and tell you they will be filming, not just whir over and crank away. That's why this branch of the law is so interesting and it's just developing.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I'm pretty sure that the FAA mandates under 400 feet. The default setting on my Mavic is just under 400 feet (though one can override all settings). I did take it once to 400 feet and, by-golly, it warned me and stopped ascending.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I could be wrong but, when the commercial aspect comes into play, such as businesses making drone deliveries to customers and it's in the works, the regulations will get very complicated. I saw a video a fellow made at a car show with his drone, it was done beautifully and I enjoyed watching it, only concern there is, had the drone malfunctioned and dropped down into a crowd of people, possibly injuring someone, the consequences could have been catastrophic to the owner/operator. Liability insurance might be an answer, but who would give liability insurance on drones? Possibly the commercial operators would have this under control, don't know. Being in it's infancy, lots of questions. PJ

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Commercial operators have their own set of rules and have to be registered. They can be fined heavily. The problems come with the Wise Guys and reckless kids. They ruined CB radio, personal watercraft, and a good part of the Internet too.

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Commercial operators have their own set of rules and have to be registered. They can be fined heavily. The problems come with the Wise Guys and reckless kids. They ruined CB radio, personal watercraft, and a good part of the Internet too.

On one point, it was wise-guys using ham linear amps on CB that ruined the 10 meter band for us hams.