• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Color/finish

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Is there a chart or list available that would tell me the colors and finishes of all the different components of the car? I've derusted, blasted, wire brushed, and primed brackets, braces, columns, etc. and I want to paint them properly. I have Piggotts TR4-TR6 book on order and hope that will help as well.
Thanks, Rut

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Triumph Register of America does have a restoration guide that describes pretty much what you are looking for. Last that I knew it was only available by purchase from them. The TR3 book is supposed to be available on the net.
Charley

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Holy crap Rut ! I love to see somebody care about details like that. Do they know whether gloss black was the predominant black or was it more of a semi gloss ?

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I'm recording the colors and finish as I find areas that have original paint...for instance, the wiper motor mount had gloss black under the rubber washers and the two radiator stays had body color.
Thanks, Rut

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Piggot's book is a pretty good source, I tried to correct when I re-did my car but didn't obsess over it. I have to admit though that seeing a Triumph with a Ford blue or Chevy red engine block is a bit of a turn-off for me.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Holy crap Rut ! I love to see somebody care about details like that. Do they know whether gloss black was the predominant black or was it more of a semi gloss ?
Some might argue, but I think most suspension bits, brackets and such that were black most likely were more like a chassis black (semi-gloss). A notable exception on a TR4 would be something like the steering column, which I always considered to be gloss black. But that's more an appearance item, whereas a bracket for an underhood component is not so much an appearance item.

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the info. I'm recording the colors and finish as I find areas that have original paint...for instance, the wiper motor mount had gloss black under the rubber washers and the two radiator stays had body color.
Thanks, Rut

Yes, the mount that the motor mounts to was gloss black, however the motor housing was more of a satin black (not as shiny). Same with the MC housing cage, gloss. My radiator stays that go behind the radiator and go down were black. There was no BRG on mine which was the original color of the car.

Also, I own Bill Piggotts and I haven't found it all that useful. I've found more help on here than in the book. The book is pretty and has good pictures but there isn't a ton of information in there that isn't know already by doing a search here. At least in my own restoration. I myself am painting some things the way they came, but for instance I'm using engine black paint on my engine block when it was just left bare. My head has some green paint on it, but I will most likely paint that black as well. I'm not going for concours even though I'm doing a frame off. I just want it to look somewhat like original and I'm betting the purists will always see something off. Is what it is. My frame will be satin black. Once I get my restoration guidelines from VTR it will be interesting to see how close I am with my guesses! :smile:

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Second on the Piggot's book. This is what I would recommend using as a reference.

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Second on the Piggot's book. This is what I would recommend using as a reference.

I just don't think Piggot's book comes close to the detail of what parts should be painted what as the VTR judging and restoration guide linked above. Yes, it mentions some of the major items, but even then it's left up to the owner to guess depending on year, commission #, etc. It's a VERY good book at breaking down the differences between years and what the cars were supposed to have, but not in detail of what each little part color should be. I was actually thinking of selling my book because it hasn't been all that useful, but is still a neat book to have around. For someone like myself going thru the same process as the OP, I'd say sign up for VTR and get the regulations than buy the book. <shrugs> That's my next step...or I guess TRF's next step for me! :smile:

OP
Rut

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks again guys! I've got Piggots book on order more because I'm a sucker for books on LBCs than anything else. I'll check on the VTR and see where that takes me as well, but I'm sure I'll have lots of questions for the forum. When I owned my original '67 back in the day I was more interested in driving the crap out of it than what color was under the bonnet! That car also seemed big to me as did my TR6, but that was 90 lbs ago (I was 6'1" and 119#s) and perspective is everything.
ok, back on track...do y'all think the VTR info on the TR3s will somewhat correlate with TR4as?
Rut

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hey GUYS,
It is NOT VTR but rather TRA as in Triumph Register of America.
Charley