• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

cloisonne badge is already breaking off

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Badge is about 1 year old and already losing its red enamal. I am looking for another one or a place that does repairs. MOSS is up to $245 now and I think they buy from AH SPares. That is where this one came from. Any quality sources?

Jerry
BJ8

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Be certain there cushions under the badge around the mounting screws and the screw are just tightened snugly.

I use small rubber " O " rings to mount mine.

Repairs can be made but they are expensive and delay your re installation for some time like months.

E-bay will sometimes list an original in good shape

Up for auction is a very nice original front grill badge for an Austin Healey 3000 Mk III.Better HURRY

but may also be expensive due to the demand.--Fwiw--Keoke

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Jerry said:
Badge is about 1 year old and already losing its red enamal. I am looking for another one or a place that does repairs. MOSS is up to $245 now and I think they buy from AH SPares. That is where this one came from. Any quality sources?

Jerry
BJ8
BJ8's from a certain point near their end started to be painted and not the cliosone plastic.I don't know what vin number it started, but the guy I purchased mine from told me he grabbed the "better"(his words), cliosone ID tag when his lady friend totaled her car and installed it on his. Maybe Steve Byers can provide some input?
Patrick

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Well mine is late 1967. So maybe mine should have been painted. I still have the one that came with the car,but it was not in good shape.

And no I did not put o-rings behind the badge. I should have!

Jerry
BJ8

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jerry said:
Well mine is late 1967. So maybe mine should have been painted.

:savewave:
Yes your badge was painted , but unless you are bent on being overtly original the earlier badges are much more attractive.--Keoke

I still have the one that came with the car,but it was not in good shape.

And no I did not put o-rings behind the badge. I should have!

Jerry
BJ8

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
A related question: I have a badge with good cliosone but not so good chrome. Can the badge be rechromed without harming the existing cliosone?

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
No, not in the conventional manner as the cloisonné enamel is ruined during the chroming process and must be reapplied . There is, however, a new paint process that would do a passable job chromewise but it is not the same. There are quite a few companies that will renew your badge in chrome w/cloisonné enamel but it is not cheap to have done and one can tell the difference from original. Best to locate a good original on e-bay.

RAC68

Darth Vader
As I understand, cloisonné is actually a Vitreous enamels and not plastic. It is similar to a pottery glaze that, when fired, will result in a glassy look. The early BJ8 front badge was made with this process and the originals seem to have good longevity. The replacements, however, don’t seem to be true cloisonné and a high price does not seem to buy quality.

There is a small company Pamela David Enamels in the UK that I have heard will apply quality cloisonné to your badge, however, I would not spend the money if the chrome portion of the badge is not top quality. Since I have had no experience with her service, I would suggest you call her directly. I believe you can get her telephone number on the web.

Ray (64BJ8P1)

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
nevets said:
A related question: I have a badge with good cliosone but not so good chrome. Can the badge be rechromed without harming the existing cliosone?

Well yes and no.
If the cloisonne is sealed tightly to the metal it can be re chromed.
However, in most cases buffing the chrome causes the MK III part of the badge to get widened.

If the cloisonne is loose around its periphery then the plating acids get behind it and make a darkened spotty mess of the badge.--Fwiw--Keoke-- :frown:

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
Keoke is on target as usual. It is an iffy proposition. [Mr. learn by doing]

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I bought another badge from a different supplier. Installed it the way Keoke indicated. We will see how it lasts. I also noted that the Script is slightly different on the new badge. I am going to a car show this weekend, so I will see what the other Healeys have.

Jerry
BJ8

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Yes, Just got back. Very nice cars. About 10 big Healeys. Lots of other cars and I really liked the exhibit of old trailers.

Jerry
BJ8

Country flag
Did you gee the steam engine lemo with the observation deck in the rear. I'll post a picture when I get home. We are at the Clovis show then to Yosemite then home Tuesday.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
That and the two seater cadillac with a spare mounted on both sides, did not seem like classics to me but maybe to others. I have been trying to talk my brother to bring his 1928 Packard to that show. But he lives in San Diego and says it is too far to trailer for him.

Jerry
BN4
BJ8
TR3A restored
TR3A next project