• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

chrome body trim pieces on a 79 midget ?

jim79

I've decided to reinstall the side chrome trim strips that run on top of the rocker panel and along the bottom of the quarter panel. However I did not mark these parts so I'm wondering how to tell what side each piece goes on. Anyone got a rubber bumper midget with the chrome strips on it? I notice there is a tapered end on each piece, the rear pieces have a large and small tapered end. I know , mark the pieces next time!

Here is one of the back end on my 78. If you need others please let me know. Hope this helps

Regards,
Dominic

Attachments

• 17384.jpg
    17384.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 141
OP
J

jim79

Just what I needed to see. Thanks alot Dominic! Never seen that kind of striping on a midget before anyway you can get a pic of the car.
Thanks again.
Jim

Glad to help. That striping is original. I bought the car in 1986 in Bristol, CT. A few years ago I found someone who lived in East Hartford who had a yellow car with the exact same stripping so maybe it was a dealer in CT that was doing it.

Cheers,
Dominic

OP
J

jim79

That's cool. Does those stripes run the entire length of the car? Also is there any stripes on the hood? Mine had painted pin stripes down the sides(small)of the car. Again thanks for the help/sharing..

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I know ebay has stripe decals for sale occasionally - haven't seen that specific one though

jim79 said:
That's cool. Does those stripes run the entire length of the car? Also is there any stripes on the hood? Mine had painted pin stripes down the sides(small)of the car. Again thanks for the help/sharing..

The stripes are decals and they run the entire length of each side. they taper as the go forward. There are no stripes on the bonnet or boot.

I personally love these stripes. I plan on doing some body work on my midget and get it repainted. When I do, I definitely plan on recreating these stripes in the new paint job. Just not sure if I will try to find decals or ask that they get painted.

bugimike

Yoda
If you like them that much, I would have them painted on! It is really not that difficult and if under a clear-coat will look great and last forever! Vinyl paint-mask film is what you need to use. Any local computerized sign shop should be able to provide the cut masking material, just have it measured and reproduced BEFORE you sand it off!

OP
J

jim79

Okay, I got my chrome trim pieces with retaining clips and rivets. I can't figure out how the chrome piece goes on after the clips are riveted! Anyone ever installed these goofy things? Thanks in advance,
James

tao724

Jedi Trainee
I just put some in a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure there is a better way, but this is how I did it:
The retaining clips have a sharp ear like jagged corner on two ends ( the top), and a curved, rolled sort of edge on the other end (the bottom). Those ends face outward. My rivit tool had a face that was larger than the opening, of the clip edges, and would not allow me to get the rivit to contact the clip. So, I used a little nut as a spacer between the rivet head, and the rivet tool, and all worked well. If you put the clip up to the trim piece, you will notice that the sharp eared corners will slide under the inside lip edge of the trim piece, and the bottom will then kind of 'snap' into position. This shows how it will be on the vehicle. Next I placed them i order, loosly placed the sole retaining screw and nut, the kind of one by one, working one end to the other, 'thumb pressured' the molding into the clip. They quietly snap into place and 'lock down'.I had to use a rubber mallet gently a couple of times. The clips need to be aligned as perfectly as possible, or its a problem getting them to snap in. I dont know if this is the correct way, but it worked for me. And they are tightly in place.
PS: I didnt enjoy this kind of work, and hope I dont have to do it again. It was tough drilling into new paint and those sills!

tao724

Jedi Trainee
I dont know if I made it clear:
I 'torqued' the upper edge of the trim piece to catch the jagged ear prtion of the clip, the 'thumbed' down the bottom of the trim piece, all the while with a bit of downward torque, ;untill it seated itself with the retaining clip.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
rubber faced dead blow hammer helped get the last of the clips in - and, bought this pop riveter at Harbour Freight https://tinyurl.com/ld522f and the head fits in the clips

OP
J

jim79

Thanks for the info it helped. I managed to get a few to pop and then developed a method that seemed to work . I used the rubber end (handle)of a hammer to press the trim down onto the jagged edge. Then slid to the side of the molding and smacked the hammer(head). was surprised how loud of a pop the trim made when it snapped in.
You are correct...not something I want to do again.
Thanks for the response.
James