• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Caterham 21?

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Anyone familiar with a Caterham 21?
Or seen one?

I had seen a photo of one some time back, but just really read more about them today.

Apparently it was a flop for Caterham......but really, it looks like a nice car.

181990c0ebli.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Not bad - kind of a love child of a 'Vette and a Boxster!

nomad

Yoda
If they can build that why can't they build a new exact replica Elan kit. Engine could be one of many. I'm sure it would sell.

Kurt.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Truth!!!

Stuff a Toyota 1600 in and a five-cog box in line.

...how HARD could it BE?!?!

Alphonse

Jedi Trainee
Looks a lot like a Ginetta if you ask me. Could be fun if it's put together well.

nomad

Yoda
Right Doc, A 4AGE would make it sing but there are others. You would think that since they have been building a Chapman copy for some time that other Lotus copies would just seem logical. Why reinvent the wheel. I know they were a headache but since I was in the fiberglass business when young I would'nt mind seeing a early Elite recreation as well. Should be able to make a profit at a price far below what originals are selling for. Pull some molds and I'll take it from there!

Kurt.

64Elan

Building an Elan copy would be very (sorta) easy. Order up a Spyder chassis and suspension, A new body of your choice, a 26R would be nice, drivetrain of your choice, and you're almost there. Hard parts would be a steering rack (maybe) and the diff. Front hubs are Triumph, rear CV axles and axle shafts are available, new dash boards and Smiths gauges are available, wheels are no problem, etc.

Okay enough talk, lets do it! We'll call it the ET26 (Elan Type 26)! :cheers:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rack from a Spitty or GT6.

nomad

Yoda
I can't seem to load the Vegatune sites but when I brought the subject up a while ago I was directed to a replica that was modified enough to not look like an Elan. As far as looks go C Chapman hit it with a few models and IMHO the Elan and first Elite are gorgeous. As far as rear diffs there are a few. Jag and Miata centers come to mind. Or just have a new housing cast and machined for an existing gear set.

Kurt.

nomad

Yoda
ET26!? I'll volunteer advice now all we need is people with time and money!!!

Kurt.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've got half of that need covered,Kurt. Guess which. :crazy:

64Elan

https://www.vegantune.com/

Here is there current site but I didn't see any mention of the old Avante. Maybe it's buried in there somewhere.

<span style="font-weight: bold">"ET26!? I'll volunteer advice now all we need is people with time and money!!!"</span>
I'll check my pockets for spare change, time is not on my side, but my advice is free as well.

nomad

Yoda
You know, when I think about it, if I was a little younger and not so remotely located [I know of 1!! Elise in South Dakota and would'nt be surprised if its the only Lotus in the state!]! ET26 would definetly be attractive. Sweat equity and all of that! Or, if my kid would take over so I could retire! We do have one of the premier fiberglass hot rod and kit car manufacturers close by.

Lots of IF's!

Doc, I bet I can guess which you could volunteer!

Kurt.

nomad

Yoda
Did a little checking on Caterham and it looks like they are into racing and mind blowing steet only. Cept for the 7 it does'nt look like nostalgia is their thing. Checked the price of a new 7 as well and since an Elan would be a little more complicated it would probably have to be made in India! I guess I'm at the age where I think the price of things should be what it was a few decade's ago. Either that or Caterham is trying to fund to much racing with the 7!
Come to think of it all I've seen lately are Lo Cost and home brew 7's.

Kurt.

elvacar

I talked with a guy at Catherham who had an owners manual for my Elva - He said it was Catherham's attempt to create a similar car to the Elva, but as modern as the new Catherham 7 (over the original Lotus) and a better frame. The suspension of the Lotus and the Elva are very similar so the suspension parts driveline would be identical. The enveloping body helped with airflow/buffeting -

It was a dog in the market with 20 or so sold

They have a website in the UK