• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Brown's Lane

Bob_Muzio

Jedi Trainee
I saws this on another message board: I have just heard on the 6 P.M. news that the former Jaguar site of
Brown's Lane has been sold to a property developer. I knew that it was closed but it's sad to hear it'll become a mall, housing, or commercial deveopement.
Bob
--

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Here are the details, courtesy of the BBC website.....

Staff are being transferred to Whitley - four miles away
Car firm Jaguar is leaving its Browns Lane site in Coventry.
The company, which has been there for more than 50 years, is selling the site in a multi-million pound deal to construction suppliers Delamar.

A spokesman for Delamar said it was confident its planned new production site would create 2,000 new jobs.

Meanwhile, Jaguar has announced it is creating a new science and business park at Whitley and transferring work from Browns Lane to the new site.

About 500 people are currently employed at Browns Lane which is mainly used for Jaguar's wood veneering service.

'Win-win'

A Jaguar spokesman said a new veneer manufacturing service created at Whitley will supply Aston Martin, Jaguar and Land Rover.

A customer care centre for Ford, Jaguar and Land Rover will also be developed at the site, bringing in another 130 jobs.

They have demonstrated great support for the people of Coventry

Council leader Ken Taylor

Geoff Polites, chief executive for Jaguar and Land Rover, called the transfer a "win-win" situation.

"It's a win for Coventry because Browns Lane will remain a key manufacturing location and will create many new jobs for the area.

"It's a win for Whitley because hundreds of skilled new jobs and new technologies will come to the new science and business park, not only for Jaguar but for other potential employers as well.

"And it's a win for Jaguar because it takes us another important step forward in our business recovery."

Coventry City Council has welcomed the news and congratulated the firm for its efforts.

Council leader Ken Taylor said: "They have demonstrated great support for the people of Coventry by encouraging the return of manufacturing jobs to Browns Lane and the joint development of the science and business park."

fncycat

Hello Bob,

It truly is sad. And what's worse is that it won't become a property development.
Brown's lane sits right smack in the middle of a lovely residential area. With nice homes accross the street and all around it. If it had to go, I'm sure the neighbors would've welcomed a good housing development.
Apparently though, the developer is going to turn the property into a commercial workyard.
I'm sure the neighbors will come to miss the factory!

I thought Jaguar, Aston Martin, and Land Rover were owned by Ford Motor Company now... So, all-in-all it's a win win situation for ford... Wait until that wood veneer becomes painted plastic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
... Wait until that wood veneer becomes painted plastic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Paint? ON plastic?

You'll never make much of a cost-cutting bean counter like that.

Colored plastic should be good enough, and cheap too... save on all that messy and time-consuming painting nonsense.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Now, if I could just figure out how to do an injection molded plastic body....

Most new cars... The plastic is all molded the same color... then mass painted for the different interiors. Some bean counter made that decision years ago - and it makes sense from a productive timing thing - no having to shut down the machines for color changes - cost difference - use the cheapest color available for the molding.

Oh, and the injection molded plastic body... Honda element is a big one, GM's (lots of em Camaro, Fiero, Lumina van, and a few others), and several other's are already goin this way.