• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

British Reliability Tour!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

bcw

Steve,

My brother and I participated in this rally for the second consecutive year and again had a great time. This year we put over 750 miles on my 1967 Austin London Taxi cab while raising over $500 dollars for children with cancer.

The Automobile staff covered their automobiles and adventures during the run, but there were over 45 cars participating in this event.

If you go to the web site: https://www.abrr.org/
You will see all the cars that helped raise money for this event.

Next years event will start in Southeastern Ohio.

Bruce Wyckoff
-bcw

Attachments

• 159189-Signature3.jpg
    159189-Signature3.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 63
OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
My brother and I participated in this rally for the second consecutive year and again had a great time. This year we put over 750 miles on my 1967 Austin London Taxi cab while raising over $500 dollars for children with cancer.

[/ QUOTE ] Sounds like a fun event for a great cause. And I noticed that the only non-Automobile-staff owned car mentioned in the Automobile article was your taxi. But the best part of the article (I am not biased or anything) was the conclusion of the staff that the MGA was the best car of the bunch! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

It's kind of funny, though, the publicity a tour designated as a "reliability run" can get. Every year our MG club has a "Moab trip" (the first-year destination) which may go anywhere in Colorado. Last September, it was to Durango, which is a 600-mile round trip and no one really thought of it in terms of "reliability"!

swift6

Yoda
Many members from my multi marque club in Fort Collins go to Las Cruces every spring. I haven't made it there myself yet but hope to one day. The Rocky Mountain Triumph Club does a couple of annual long distance treks. One is to Sturgis South Dakota around the fourth of July. That's long distance and average temps in the high 90's low 100's!

Every memorial day my multi-marque club also drives from Loveland to Grandby through Rocky Mountain National Park. Memorial Day weekend is the traditional opening weekend for Trail Ridge Road over the top of Rocky mountain National Park. I usually make a "loop" out of the trip and return home via Walden (the Moose capitol of Colorado) and then down the Poudre Canyon just north of Fort Collins. About five hours of drive time in all. Three mountain passes, one over 13,000ft., another at just over 10,000 feet and the baby pass which is about 8,500 feet. Nice short drive. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
Steve, That A was a very good looking car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif -bcw

[/ QUOTE ]I would never admit to being biased, of course, but all MGAs are good-looking, even mine! Especially the MGA 1500s from the rear--best British curves since Emma Peel. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif See mine at https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthread...eve/perpage/12.

bcw

Tullamore,

there were quite a few of the combines on the road that weekend. I did pass a couple of Amish buggies that weekend. That was about the only thing I passed, my car is really slow. We went thru a number of small towns and drew a lot of attention as well. Great time

Bruce

Attachments

• 159872-3R3B2297.jpg
    159872-3R3B2297.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 71

jollyroger

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I am building an MGA coupe. I just love the way they look. I want it for a daily driver. Might not get the original engine though.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Bruce, you're probably aware of it but Sports Car Market magazine also did a short writeup on the tour in their February issue. There are several photos, including one with (I presume) your cab in the background in a covered bridge. The article was written by Rob Sass, who drove an SP-250 in the event.

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan
[ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of the "Rally of the Tests". I love these kinds of events...wish we had more of them in the US.

[/ QUOTE ]

As do I. But it seems liability suits have killed a lot (no pun) in the US

bcw

John,
I remember another writer was along for the trip but I didn't remember which magazine. Thank you for the reminder.
There were two London Taxis on the journey, the second Taxi was in the covered bridge opening and my car was in front of the bridge next to a small sign post

-bcw

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I've been keeping up with that run for a couple of year's now,& thought it'd be a lot of fun to do some year.
Shawn,I've looked through the websites of some of the
clubs in Colorado - some of the pictures are outstanding,
scenery wise.
Maybe someday!

- Doug

swift6

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
I've been keeping up with that run for a couple of year's now,& thought it'd be a lot of fun to do some year.
Shawn,I've looked through the websites of some of the
clubs in Colorado - some of the pictures are outstanding,
scenery wise.
Maybe someday!

- Doug

[/ QUOTE ]

Any time Doug. The Memorial day run over trail ridge road can be fun. Especially driving top down over the route with 10 foot walls of snow on either side of you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

OP
MGA Steve

MGA Steve

Jedi Warrior
[ QUOTE ]
The Memorial day run over trail ridge road can be fun.

[/ QUOTE ]Don't forget the MG Club's 54th Annual Rallye Glenwood Springs, the longest continuous MG event in the U.S.(www.mgcc.org/rmc.htm). Over an early June 3-day weekend, we have a time-distance-speed rallye from Denver to Glenwood, a full-day tour from Glenwood to Aspen, Leadville, Grand Junction, or ? and back, a banquet, a car show, and a funkana. Last year, we even had the owner/builder of a V-8 MGA drive from Chicago for the event. Lots of great scenery, a good time with fellow LBC owners (not all drive MGs; we have A-H 3000s, TR6s, Minis, even my TR8), and wonderful weather (except last year). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

swift6

Yoda
It's also been interupted by Forest fires so make sure you have your extinguisher. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I saw the Jamie's Lotus Cortina MKII at Ford's 100th
celebration.This car was given to Colin Chapman from Ford.
He bought it for about $7500!Car is really nice.

- Doug

racing girl

Jedi Knight
This is also the run that Andrew and I participated in, in 2004. We couldn't attend last year as my family were in town, it would be nice to do it again though. Maybe this year.

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Basil

Administrator
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
This is also the run that Andrew and I participated in, in 2004. We couldn't attend last year as my family were in town, it would be nice to do it again though. Maybe this year.

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome back RG! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif