• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Autox Team Healeys Mailing List ...

Country flag
... has apparently been down for several days (and was sporadic before that). Is this the end?

Fortunately, we still have this forum; but I always thought the two complemented each other.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have been a member of the autox.team.net Healeys list since 1996. Participation in that list in the last few years has been dwindling, and now even when the list is up it seems not to have much traffic. I've been a member of BCF since 2001, but spent most of my time on the autox list because it better met my needs as keeper of the BJ8 Registry, and I didn't (don't) care for the tendency of forum members to rely on pseudonyms and and some to remain anonymous. I never really understood why people felt that way, since we are all in the Healey community together.

There are other Healey forums (fora?) now such as The A-H Experience and special groups on Facebook, but my personal opinion is that they just dilute the overall effort. I've noticed that people on some of the other sites are asking the same questions that have been asked here and on the Healeys list. Someone directed me a few days ago to the forum at A-H Experience where a poster was commenting on an apparent error in my procedures for adjusting the HD8 carburetors. If that issue had been posted here, I would have been able to respond in a more timely manner.

Just my two cents worth.

OP
Bob_Spidell
Country flag
re: "... tendency of forum members to rely on pseudonyms and and some to remain anonymous..."

I've always figured that was just a habit; using your real name on some forums--not as amicable as this one with its tyrannical moderator (JK Reid ;))--can be risky.

I'm also on the Shop Talk list, and have gotten nothing from it in a while as well. Both lists were only semi-responsive for a while, and since Mark was a one-man operation with a limited budget he might have just thrown in the towel (though I would have expected notification from him because he seems like a stand-up guy).

re: "fora?" forii?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
WELL Steve:

Most forums or website logins identify you using your E Mail address or you can set up a
login name-User ID- pseudonym.

Profiles are generally included that allow members to identify themselves to simplify future business.

Here on the forum a pseudonyms adds a bit of liveliness and is up to the individual to use.

Most of us that have been in service also were given friendly pseudonyms and no one got upset.

After all this car thing is a hobby and I see no reason to get Sunday Religious in its discussions.

As for the lurkers most of them probably do not have a Healey yet or know and can afford a good mechanic.
Just my opinions.-:chuncky:-Keoke

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have received six messages via the Healey/Auto list so far this month. If I have a question I post to both--usually I get quicker answers over there than here.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I have received six messages via the Healey/Auto list so far this month.

If I have a question I post to both--usually I get quicker answers over there than here.

But are they write!---:highly_amused:

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
As a long-time member of both the Healey and Spridget lists, I'm sad to see the decline in both. I think what has really hurt Mark's lists are the troubles people have had with posting. People have had problems with the list rejecting their email provider, getting kicked off the list, or just having their stuff go to spam. I think a number of listers have just given up. Mail lists have become a bit outdated as well and newer uses gravitate toward Facebook sites as well. Moreover, I think many of the early listers have aged a bit and may no longer have the fire they once had. Mark's done us all a favor as a pioneer in the information age and I'll always be grateful for the friends I've made around the world because of his efforts.

Country flag
As a long-time member of both the Healey and Spridget lists, I'm sad to see the decline in both. I think what has really hurt Mark's lists are the troubles people have had with posting. People have had problems with the list rejecting their email provider, getting kicked off the list, or just having their stuff go to spam. I think a number of listers have just given up. Mail lists have become a bit outdated as well and newer uses gravitate toward Facebook sites as well. Moreover, I think many of the early listers have aged a bit and may no longer have the fire they once had. Mark's done us all a favor as a pioneer in the information age and I'll always be grateful for the friends I've made around the world because of his efforts.
that pretty much chronicles my experience with the list. I had tried several times between 2000 and maybe 2008 (?) and despite the help of people's coaching and frame by frame instructions, I was never able to log in or get e-mail confirmation or access to the list, and not just the one for Healey, but MG & autocross lists too.

As I discovered more and more enthusiast forums, on more than just this continent, and became established, I gave up on ever mastering the list; it just wasn't meant to be.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I sometimes wonder if the list and the forum are slowing down a little as we do. I am 54 and am one of the youngest guys in my club of over 100 members, many of the people who are going to restore cars are now done with them, or generally don't do their own work anymore or not as much, or they have learned quite a bit and don't need as much help, or even are selling their cars or thinning the heard as they just don't fit or enjoy them as much as they used to.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The results of the lie detector test on all points is:

Glemons is telling the truth :applause:.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Derek - I tried to access your site but I have been unsuccessful? Is there anything I should know just I have never had a problem in the many years that referred to your fantastic 100-six Healey site?:driving:

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Derek - I tried to access your site but I have been unsuccessful? Is there anything I should know just I have never had a problem in the many years that referred to your fantastic 100-six Healey site?:driving:
I just tried using the link in Derek's signature and got "This domain is suspended due to incomplete Whols Verification", what ever that is.